Corrupted c:winntsystem32configsystem file

I am unable to boot into my main Win2k installation because at bootup time a
message comes up that says that c:\winnt\system32\config\system is
corrupted. Is there any way out of this predicament ? I tried using my Win2k
CD-ROM and my Emergency Repair Disk but evidently there was no backup of
this file which could be used to restore a non-corrupted version. Am I
completely hosed or is there a way to get a non-corrupt system file somehow
so that I can boot into my main Win2k installation. If I am hosed it will
naturally be onerous for me to configure my secondary Win2k installation
with all the software and registry settings that I have built up over the
years in my main Win2k installation.
2 answers Last reply
More about corrupted winntsystem32configsystem file

    If the system hive is corrupt, and assuming you already tried LKG (F8 and
    choose Last Known Good), It may be possible to rename the system hive found
    in
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    to system.old
    then rename
    %windir%\system32\config\system.alt
    %windir%\system32\config\system

    You can also try using the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback

    If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
    original-as-installed system hive from
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Edward Diener wrote:
    > I am unable to boot into my main Win2k installation because at bootup time a
    > message comes up that says that c:\winnt\system32\config\system is
    > corrupted. Is there any way out of this predicament ? I tried using my Win2k
    > CD-ROM and my Emergency Repair Disk but evidently there was no backup of
    > this file which could be used to restore a non-corrupted version. Am I
    > completely hosed or is there a way to get a non-corrupt system file somehow
    > so that I can boot into my main Win2k installation. If I am hosed it will
    > naturally be onerous for me to configure my secondary Win2k installation
    > with all the software and registry settings that I have built up over the
    > years in my main Win2k installation.

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    Registry Repair Utility download for Windows 2000-based computers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830570

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: