no ip address!!

new client has win 2000 server up and running with various clients (win 95,
98, m3, 2000, xp)10 clients total.

The server has been set up for dhcp?? And as such it and all the clients are
on the private ip range of 169...

A domain is set up and all but 2 clients can log in to the domain. The other
2 clients are on a workgroup and are able only 2 log in locally. Have so far
only looked at one of these clients a win 2000 machine. Tried to connect to
the domain but it wasn't recognised however can ping the servers 169 address
and connect to drives mapped on the server.

2 questions

1. How much work will be required to change over the servers IP address and
domain name in relation to clients connecting to the server - is it easier
just to work with it for now! Only have weekends to work on it.

2. How can I get the win 2000 machine to recognise the domain name!

Thanks in Advanc

Susan123456 wrote:
> new client has win 2000 server up and running with various clients
> (win 95, 98, m3, 2000, xp)10 clients total.
>
> The server has been set up for dhcp?? And as such it and all the
> clients are on the private ip range of 169...

That means they aren't actually getting an IP address via DHCP. 169..... is
an autoconfigured address.

> A domain is set up and all but 2 clients can log in to the domain.
> The other 2 clients are on a workgroup and are able only 2 log in
> locally.

If they're in a workgroup, what besides a local login do you expect to see?
They don't belong to the domain. All they *have* is a local login.

> Have so far only looked at one of these clients a win 2000
> machine. Tried to connect to the domain but it wasn't recognised
> however can ping the servers 169 address and connect to drives mapped
> on the server.
>

> 2 questions
>
> 1. How much work will be required to change over the servers IP
> address and domain name in relation to clients connecting to the
> server - is it easier just to work with it for now! Only have
> weekends to work on it.

Fix your DHCP server. Your server needs to have a static IP address - on a
non-routable/private network , such as 192.168.0.0 or 172.16.0.0, etc...

> 2. How can I get the win 2000 machine to recognise the domain name!

I don't know what that means. Once your server & all PCs have *real* IP
addresses, you can join WinNT/2k/XP Pro computers to the domain. Your AD DNS
needs to be set up properly, among other things, for this to happen, and I
don't know anything about your server.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're not clear on what is
happening now, I think you might want to get some outside help to set up
your domain/network if you're supposed to be supporting it.

Also, you really should get the Win9x/ME computers off your network if at
all possible - ideally have everyone on XP Pro SP2, but at the very least,
only Win2k and WinXP Pro. Win9x/ME cannot join a domain, only access
resources on it. This is clumsy and insecure.