Read the Temperature Guide, still have a question about TAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravynmagi

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I read the temperature guide and I still have a small bit of confusion and it is with TAT of course.

The temperature differences between Tcase (BIOS, Motherboard Utilities and SpeedFan 4.32), compared with Tjunction (TAT, Core Temp and SpeedFan 4.32) is Tcase + 15c = Tjunction. TAT can be used simultaneously with Core Temp for thermal benchmarking desktop C2D's at 100% continuous load. 50c Tcase and 65c Tjunction are sustainable full load temperatures.

My understanding of the above is that CoreTemp, SpeedFan, and TAT should both display the Tjunction temperatures.

But they don't. SpeedFan and CoreTemp agree with each other, but TAT shows something much higher.

And my Tcase temp from EasyTune5 and SpeedFan are suppose to be 15 degrees lower than than Tjunction temp, but it is only 2 degrees lower.

Here are all my temps as my computer is running Orthos Small FFTs CPU stress.

TAT = CPU 0: 68, CPU 1: 68
SpeedFan 4.32 = Core 0: 56, Core 1: 56, CPU: 54
CoreTemp = Core #0: 56, Core #1: 56
EasyTune5 = 54

I'm assuming all the 56s are the Tjunction temperatures and the 54s are the Tcase temperatures? So I'm confused why only TAT display something completely different?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Temps are intended to be tested using TAT, and not Orthos, so that everyone's results will be consistent.

Orthos 88% Load will indicate ~ 5c lower than TAT 100% Load.

Also, it's important to provide complete results and variables:

there is much confusion regarding specifications, calibration offsets and test methods, so results can be difficult to decipher and compare. Therefore, when expressing Idle & Load test results, it's also necessary to define the variables such as:

Tcase = Idle & Load
Tjunction = Idle & Load

Ambient = Room Temp
Chipset = Model
C2D = Model
CPU Cooler = Model
Frequency = CPU Clock
Load = Test Programs
Motherboard = Model
Vcore = CPU Voltage

The conditions you're experiencing are offsets, and are all too common, especially among the 965 boards.

The typical ~ 15c difference between the single Tcase temp, and the dual Tjunction temps can be erroneous due to calibration inaccuracies in chipsets, BIOS releases, driver versions, and motherboard utilities. Intel’s spec for thermal sensor accuracy is +/-1c, so temperatures can be quite accurate on hardware / firmware platforms free of manufacturer's deficiencies. Even false temperatures have offsets which can be analyzed, and when given correction factors, may still be reasonably accurate.

Troubleshooting

(C) SpeedFan 4.32 can be configured to correct for Tcase and Tjunction offsets.

(D) Any hardware and / or software may misreport Tcase and / or Tjunction temps.

(E) 965 chipsets may misreport Tcase and Tjunction temperatures with +/-15c offsets.

(F) 6XX chipsets may misreport Tcase and / or Tjunction accuracy at upper or lower scale.

(G) TAT may not run on Vista. Orthos Priority 9 Small FFT’s simulates 88% load ~ 5c lower.

(H) Core Temp shows Tjunction 85c. This field is Intel's Tj max spec, is info only, and does not change.

(I) C2D’s manufactured with concave Integrated Heat Spreaders may report high Deltas and temps.

(J) An Improperly seated CPU cooler is the primary cause of abnormally high temperatures.

Offsets

If temperatures don’t meet the Parameters, then SpeedFan 4.32 can be configured to correct for Tcase and Tjunction offsets. From the “Readings” tab, click on the “Configure” button, then click on the “Advanced” tab. Next, click on the “Chip” field directly under the tabs, then use SpeedFan’s “Help and HOW-TO” icon included in the installation Program Group. Under “Contents” click on “How to configure” then click on “How to set Advanced Options”. Read this entire section including “Other interesting options” and “Temperature x offset. When configured, SpeedFan will provide a means to display all 3 Tcase and Tjunction temperatures correctly. SpeedFan is also extremely useful for observing temperatures and voltages using the “Charts” tab, while thermal benchmarking with TAT.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Before I can give you an accurate answer, please provide complete information by using the following format:

...when expressing Idle & Load test results, it's also necessary to define the variables such as:

Tcase = Idle & Load
Tjunction = Idle & Load

Ambient = Room Temp
Chipset = Model
C2D = Model
CPU Cooler = Model
Frequency = CPU Clock
Load = Test Programs
Motherboard = Model
Vcore = CPU Voltage

Thanks,

Comp 8)