Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VNC and Pocket PC

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:08:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Trying to run VNC. It looks like I can run it on my local computer... I
mean, it can connect to itself. But I'm having trouble connecting with
a pocket pc.

I believe I have all of the ports open on my router and my firewall.
When I try to connect using vncviewer or vncview (the two clients I
found) it will not connect to the server.

If I use pocket IE and connect to myIP:5900 I get the message RFB
003.008, which means (I think) that it's connecting to the server, but
since I am using a browser and not a client, its not working. when I
try to login to myIP:5800, I get a blank page, but no error message.
Again, to me this means that it is connecting to the server, but
because pocket IE doesn't have Java, its not working.

When I use vncview, and type in myip:5900, it just closes, no error
messages or nothing. When I use vncviewer and use myip:5900, it tries
to connect, and then it brings up a message that says "Cannot connect
to server" or something like that. Any advice?

Skip

More about : vnc pocket

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:00:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

When trying to connect to your computer from the mobile device are you doing
via your home wifi network, cradle, bluetooth? Port 5900 is the only one
you need to open but when you connect from the client all you need it
your.ip:0 and that should work. Also are you trying to gain access to this
computer from across the internet because vnc has no encryption, it would be
best to access vnc over a vpn tunnel or use the built in terminal services
client, that is if the computer you're connecting to is windows xp pro.

--
--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...

<skipinator@yahoo.ie> wrote in message
news:1117847290.191991.123300@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Trying to run VNC. It looks like I can run it on my local computer... I
> mean, it can connect to itself. But I'm having trouble connecting with
> a pocket pc.
>
> I believe I have all of the ports open on my router and my firewall.
> When I try to connect using vncviewer or vncview (the two clients I
> found) it will not connect to the server.
>
> If I use pocket IE and connect to myIP:5900 I get the message RFB
> 003.008, which means (I think) that it's connecting to the server, but
> since I am using a browser and not a client, its not working. when I
> try to login to myIP:5800, I get a blank page, but no error message.
> Again, to me this means that it is connecting to the server, but
> because pocket IE doesn't have Java, its not working.
>
> When I use vncview, and type in myip:5900, it just closes, no error
> messages or nothing. When I use vncviewer and use myip:5900, it tries
> to connect, and then it brings up a message that says "Cannot connect
> to server" or something like that. Any advice?
>
> Skip
>
June 6, 2005 9:45:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi, you could see if our VNC software works better for you,
PTvncGPRS (or PTvncHiRes if you have a VGA PPC).
Trial versions available from PocketGear, Handango etc.

<skipinator@yahoo.ie> wrote in message
news:1117847290.191991.123300@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Trying to run VNC. It looks like I can run it on my local computer... I
> mean, it can connect to itself. But I'm having trouble connecting with
> a pocket pc.
>
> I believe I have all of the ports open on my router and my firewall.
> When I try to connect using vncviewer or vncview (the two clients I
> found) it will not connect to the server.
>
> If I use pocket IE and connect to myIP:5900 I get the message RFB
> 003.008, which means (I think) that it's connecting to the server, but
> since I am using a browser and not a client, its not working. when I
> try to login to myIP:5800, I get a blank page, but no error message.
> Again, to me this means that it is connecting to the server, but
> because pocket IE doesn't have Java, its not working.
>
> When I use vncview, and type in myip:5900, it just closes, no error
> messages or nothing. When I use vncviewer and use myip:5900, it tries
> to connect, and then it brings up a message that says "Cannot connect
> to server" or something like that. Any advice?
>
> Skip
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:02:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Eric Hicks [MVP] wrote:
> When trying to connect to your computer from the mobile device are you doing
> via your home wifi network, cradle, bluetooth? Port 5900 is the only one
> you need to open but when you connect from the client all you need it
> your.ip:0 and that should work. Also are you trying to gain access to this
> computer from across the internet because vnc has no encryption, it would be
> best to access vnc over a vpn tunnel or use the built in terminal services
> client, that is if the computer you're connecting to is windows xp pro.
>

For the record, I use VNCview on my iPAQ 2215, and I can't get it to
work with TightVNC 1.3+ or UltraVNC. Only had luck so far with TightVNC
1.2.9. YMMV...

ws
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:02:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I was using tighe vnc at one point but I don't know the version, I believe
it was an older version and that may be why it worked, like you said YMMV.

--
--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...

"wadester" <null@devnull.net> wrote in message
news:0r6qe.443$Zt.43@okepread05...
> For the record, I use VNCview on my iPAQ 2215, and I can't get it to work
> with TightVNC 1.3+ or UltraVNC. Only had luck so far with TightVNC 1.2.9.
> YMMV...
>
> ws
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:10:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I finally got it to work. Under the legacy tab of the server
properites... Only use protocol version 3.3
!