Connect to internet using dial-up connection - Help

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I use 56k dial-up connection via phone line to connect to internet. I
downloaded a wallpaper from a website and my Norton AntiVirus detected a
virus and removed it. Thereafter, I could not connect to internet. The
dial-up connection is working
correctly showing up the connection and speed on the system but cannot
connect to any website. Can someone advise how to
track down the causes.

Thanks,

Ray

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you have Service Pack 2, go to Start - Run, and type in
"netsh winsock reset"
If not, download and run lspfix from
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
It sounds like that's what your problem is.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

bar

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You may also have spyware installed as a result of this little exploit.

If you can't get onto the internet, try buying a PC magazine with Spybot
Search and Destroy or Adaware on a cover CD.

Install them and destroy any nasties. Make sure that you bootup in safe
mode and run these applications to ensure all the crud is removed.

"Menno Hershberger" wrote:

> If you have Service Pack 2, go to Start - Run, and type in
> "netsh winsock reset"
> If not, download and run lspfix from
> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
> It sounds like that's what your problem is.
>
> "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > I use 56k dial-up connection via phone line to connect to internet. I
> > downloaded a wallpaper from a website and my Norton AntiVirus detected
> > a virus and removed it. Thereafter, I could not connect to internet.
> > The dial-up connection is working
> > correctly showing up the connection and speed on the system but cannot
> > connect to any website. Can someone advise how to
> > track down the causes.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ray
> >

> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Menno,

Many thanks for your useful advice that works out my problem.

Ray