Internet Time Synchronization in a 2003/SBS Network

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have a Domain with an SBS 2000 and a Windows 2003 Server.

I want the 2003 server to go out to the Internet to get the correct time. I
then want the workstations to be synchronized with my 2003 server, so that
all workstations have the exact time.

I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. I do not see the Internet
Time tab in my Date and Time properties on the server. The Windows Time
service is started.

Please Help!
3 answers Last reply
More about internet time synchronization 2003 network
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    PM wrote:
    > I have a Domain with an SBS 2000 and a Windows 2003 Server.
    >
    > I want the 2003 server to go out to the Internet to get the correct
    > time. I then want the workstations to be synchronized with my 2003
    > server, so that all workstations have the exact time.
    >
    > I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. I do not see the
    > Internet Time tab in my Date and Time properties on the server. The
    > Windows Time service is started.
    >
    > Please Help!

    First, make sure the windows time service is started in SBS.
    Then go to a command prompt:

    net time /setsntp:<server of your choice>
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Thanks for your help.

    Does this command make the server continuously update the time? What
    exactly do you mean by <server of your choice> Is this an Internet address
    of a time server, or something local?

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > PM wrote:
    > > I have a Domain with an SBS 2000 and a Windows 2003 Server.
    > >
    > > I want the 2003 server to go out to the Internet to get the correct
    > > time. I then want the workstations to be synchronized with my 2003
    > > server, so that all workstations have the exact time.
    > >
    > > I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. I do not see the
    > > Internet Time tab in my Date and Time properties on the server. The
    > > Windows Time service is started.
    > >
    > > Please Help!
    >
    > First, make sure the windows time service is started in SBS.
    > Then go to a command prompt:
    >
    > net time /setsntp:<server of your choice>
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    PM wrote:
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Does this command make the server continuously update the time?

    Well, it doesn't check every .0004 seconds or anything, but essentially,
    yes. In that you have to do this only once.

    > What
    > exactly do you mean by <server of your choice> Is this an Internet
    > address of a time server, or something local?

    Well, since you mentioned wanting Internet time sync, I figured the
    former....I use tick.usno.navy.mil myself, but pick one of your choice.
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    >> PM wrote:
    >>> I have a Domain with an SBS 2000 and a Windows 2003 Server.
    >>>
    >>> I want the 2003 server to go out to the Internet to get the correct
    >>> time. I then want the workstations to be synchronized with my 2003
    >>> server, so that all workstations have the exact time.
    >>>
    >>> I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. I do not see the
    >>> Internet Time tab in my Date and Time properties on the server. The
    >>> Windows Time service is started.
    >>>
    >>> Please Help!
    >>
    >> First, make sure the windows time service is started in SBS.
    >> Then go to a command prompt:
    >>
    >> net time /setsntp:<server of your choice>
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Server 2003 Servers Workstations Internet Windows