Internet Time Synchronization in a 2003/SBS Network

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 22, 2005 10:59:03 AM

I have a Domain with an SBS 2000 and a Windows 2003 Server.

I want the 2003 server to go out to the Internet to get the correct time. I
then want the workstations to be synchronized with my 2003 server, so that
all workstations have the exact time.

I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. I do not see the Internet
Time tab in my Date and Time properties on the server. The Windows Time
service is started.

Please Help!
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:04:39 AM

PM wrote:
> I have a Domain with an SBS 2000 and a Windows 2003 Server.
>
> I want the 2003 server to go out to the Internet to get the correct
> time. I then want the workstations to be synchronized with my 2003
> server, so that all workstations have the exact time.
>
> I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. I do not see the
> Internet Time tab in my Date and Time properties on the server. The
> Windows Time service is started.
>
> Please Help!

First, make sure the windows time service is started in SBS.
Then go to a command prompt:

net time /setsntp:<server of your choice>
March 23, 2005 7:53:06 AM

Thanks for your help.

Does this command make the server continuously update the time? What
exactly do you mean by <server of your choice> Is this an Internet address
of a time server, or something local?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> PM wrote:
> > I have a Domain with an SBS 2000 and a Windows 2003 Server.
> >
> > I want the 2003 server to go out to the Internet to get the correct
> > time. I then want the workstations to be synchronized with my 2003
> > server, so that all workstations have the exact time.
> >
> > I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. I do not see the
> > Internet Time tab in my Date and Time properties on the server. The
> > Windows Time service is started.
> >
> > Please Help!
>
> First, make sure the windows time service is started in SBS.
> Then go to a command prompt:
>
> net time /setsntp:<server of your choice>

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 10:31:44 PM

PM wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Does this command make the server continuously update the time?

Well, it doesn't check every .0004 seconds or anything, but essentially,
yes. In that you have to do this only once.

> What
> exactly do you mean by <server of your choice> Is this an Internet
> address of a time server, or something local?

Well, since you mentioned wanting Internet time sync, I figured the
former....I use tick.usno.navy.mil myself, but pick one of your choice.

!