One HDMI input on TV; Cable or DVD?

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 6, 2004 7:53:05 AM

I have a Tosh DLP with one HDMI input. What would be a better use for
that input, running my digital cable into it so I can enjoy some
improvement(?) in HD and digital cable PQ, or running my DVD player into
it so that it can enjoy the benefit of that input?
In short, which will see the largest noticeable gain in PQ, cable or DVD
running through HDMI?
Thanks in advance

More about : hdmi input cable dvd

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 7:53:06 AM

Michael Lankton wrote:

> I have a Tosh DLP with one HDMI input. What would be a better use for
> that input, running my digital cable into it so I can enjoy some
> improvement(?) in HD and digital cable PQ, or running my DVD player into
> it so that it can enjoy the benefit of that input?
> In short, which will see the largest noticeable gain in PQ, cable or DVD
> running through HDMI?
> Thanks in advance

The answer to the HDMI cable question is:

Does both the Cable Box & DVD player have DVI/HDMI outputs..

IF not, your question is answered by default....

I believe the HDTV signal is 1080i or 720p at best...

whereas the DVD signal is 480i or 480p at best....
There may be no HDTV DVDs yet available...

Then your HDTV Cable Box would get the DVI/HDMI and
the DVD would get component cable or lesser S-Video cable...

These type decisions each HDTV owner has to consider...
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 10:29:02 AM

Easy answer, get an AV receiver that uses DVI switching. That way you feed
both DVI to the receiver and the receiver output to the single HDMI
connection on the TV. Problem solved and now you have killer surround sound
setup!

--Dan

"Michael Lankton" <mlankton@spymac.com> wrote in message
> I have a Tosh DLP with one HDMI input. What would be a better use for
> that input, running my digital cable into it so I can enjoy some
> improvement(?) in HD and digital cable PQ, or running my DVD player into
> it so that it can enjoy the benefit of that input?
> In short, which will see the largest noticeable gain in PQ, cable or DVD
> running through HDMI?
> Thanks in advance
Related resources
September 6, 2004 11:15:49 AM

Save the HDMI for cable...or...get a switcher. I think I remember someone
saying their is one hd dvd out, Terminator 2. That's hear-say though.

"Michael Lankton" <mlankton@spymac.com> wrote in message
> I have a Tosh DLP with one HDMI input. What would be a better use for
> that input, running my digital cable into it so I can enjoy some
> improvement(?) in HD and digital cable PQ, or running my DVD player into
> it so that it can enjoy the benefit of that input?
> In short, which will see the largest noticeable gain in PQ, cable or DVD
> running through HDMI?
> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 10:35:52 PM

I agree to save the HDMI for the cable box.

That is true about Terminator 2 being available in high definition. It
comes with the Terminator 2 Extreme Edition DVD. There is a version of the
movie encoded using Windows Media 9 included on one of the discs. I imagine
you'd have to play this using your PC though so you'd have to have a HTPC
hooked up to your TV unless you have a DVD player that supports WMV9.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_p...

Brad

!