Do I need Win2k SERVER to host Terminal Services?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 24, 2005 10:13:07 PM

From Microsoft's FAQ it sounds like standard win2k can't act as the
"server".

If so, I am back to products like PC/Anywhere. I have used that
before. Is there anything a lot better? PCA works OK but I wonder if
the screen transfers are well enough optimised.

I just want a remote desktop from win2k-SP4 as the "server", and file
transfer.

Any tips much appreciated.

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter1234@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
March 25, 2005 12:55:39 PM

"Peter" <peter0o0o0o@peter2-0-o-0.c0.uk> wrote in message
> From Microsoft's FAQ it sounds like standard win2k can't act as the
> "server".
>
> If so, I am back to products like PC/Anywhere. I have used that
> before. Is there anything a lot better? PCA works OK but I wonder if
> the screen transfers are well enough optimised.
>
> I just want a remote desktop from win2k-SP4 as the "server", and file
> transfer.
>
> Any tips much appreciated.
>
> Peter.
> --
> Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail.
> E-mail replies to peter1234@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
> Please do NOT copy usenet posts to email - it is NOT necessary.

Currently there are two flavours of Windows that support Terminal Services:

- Windows Server
- Windows XP Professional

And yes, you're right: Remote Desktop appears to be far better
optimised than either pcAnywhere or WinVNC.

You could set up a VPN to transfer files.
!