unable to use Windows-KB890830-V1.2-ENU.EXE.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

It seems very likely that my computer got infected with a certain virus
or viruses. I visited Microsoft Web Site and downloaded their
proprietary virus-eliminating software:Windows-KB890830-V1.2-ENU.EXE.
When I attempt to execute this program, two error messages appear:
"A device attached to the system is not functioning."
and
"Windows-KB890830-V1.2-ENU.EXE file is linked to missing export
NTDLL.DLL:NtShutdownSystem"
I checked the Window's directory and confirmed the presence of NTDLL.DLL
in its SYSTEM folder.
Just in case the file is corrupt, I tried to re-copy from the original
Windows CD but the message showed up:"The file is used by Windows.".
Is this seemingly strange situation itself a consequence of virus infection?
Can someone tell me what to do now?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

This error message means that you're trying to run a Windows NT/2000/XP
program on a Windows 95/98/Me computer. Get the correct patch or update for
Windows 98.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Junji Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message
> It seems very likely that my computer got infected with a certain virus or
> viruses. I visited Microsoft Web Site and downloaded their proprietary
> virus-eliminating software:Windows-KB890830-V1.2-ENU.EXE.
> When I attempt to execute this program, two error messages appear:
> "A device attached to the system is not functioning."
> and
> "Windows-KB890830-V1.2-ENU.EXE file is linked to missing export
> NTDLL.DLL:NtShutdownSystem"
> I checked the Window's directory and confirmed the presence of NTDLL.DLL
> in its SYSTEM folder.
> Just in case the file is corrupt, I tried to re-copy from the original
> Windows CD but the message showed up:"The file is used by Windows.".
> Is this seemingly strange situation itself a consequence of virus
> infection?
> Can someone tell me what to do now?

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

KB890830 is NOT an anti virus application it is a tool for Spyware removal /
prevention.
The two, Virus / Spyware, are entirely different and require different
applications to detect their problems

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:28:49 -0600, Junji Tsuzuki <jtsuzuki@cox.net>

>It seems very likely that my computer got infected with a certain virus
>or viruses. I visited Microsoft Web Site and downloaded their
>proprietary virus-eliminating software:Windows-KB890830-V1.2-ENU.EXE.
>When I attempt to execute this program, two error messages appear:

>"A device attached to the system is not functioning."

That can be something bent involving the ability for Windows to run
Command.com - i.e. .PIF properties, version soup, etc.

>and

>"Windows-KB890830-V1.2-ENU.EXE file is linked to missing export
>NTDLL.DLL:NtShutdownSystem"

That is more likely a Windows version issue - esp. if you are running
Win9x given that it's NTDLL.DLL rather than one on Win9's three
stooges (KRNL386.EXE, GDI.EXE, USER.EXE).

>I checked the Window's directory and confirmed the presence of NTDLL.DLL
>in its SYSTEM folder.

Oh, OK! Lemmie test this Win98SE box... yes indeed, looks native to
Win98 as well, given the Version tab info.

>Just in case the file is corrupt, I tried to re-copy from the original
>Windows CD but the message showed up:"The file is used by Windows.".
>Is this seemingly strange situation itself a consequence of virus infection?

Not necessarily; the relationship between this and being infected is
Venn, with a small overlap between the two sets. IOW, irrespective of
this issue, there is always the possibility of your PC being infected.

>Can someone tell me what to do now?

I'd do a formal virus check, myself - as per

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com