What is the purpose of "C:\arcldr.exe" & "C:\arcsetup.exe" ??
Can they be deleted ??

Willard

dl

dont know, what do properties reveal?

"Willard" <guess@msn.net> wrote in message
> What is the purpose of "C:\arcldr.exe" & "C:\arcsetup.exe" ??
> Can they be deleted ??
>
> Willard

Read only MS-DOS programs ??
Command prompt>> "Program too big to fit in to memory"

DL wrote:

>dont know, what do properties reveal?
>
>"Willard" <guess@msn.net> wrote in message
>

>>What is the purpose of "C:\arcldr.exe" & "C:\arcsetup.exe" ??
>>Can they be deleted ??
>>
>>Willard

When I ran a "system repair", they must have been added then to C:\,
which I did not notice until much later...

Thanks for the info,
Willard

Dave Patrick wrote:

>This article may help. No, don't delete them.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];238359

You're welcome.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Willard" wrote:
| When I ran a "system repair", they must have been added then to C:\,
| which I did not notice until much later...
|
| Thanks for the info,
| Willard

dl

Well the 'setup.exe' will be a program installation/setup file and the
arcldr.exe will likely be the actual program.
They 'may' be from a WinNT o/s sys files.
Is your Win2k installation an upgrade from an earlier o/s?

> Read only MS-DOS programs ??
> Command prompt>> "Program too big to fit in to memory"
>
> DL wrote:
>
> >dont know, what do properties reveal?
> >
> >"Willard" <guess@msn.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>What is the purpose of "C:\arcldr.exe" & "C:\arcsetup.exe" ??
> >>Can they be deleted ??
> >>
> >>Willard

dl

Are you saying these two files are part of win2k?

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> You're welcome.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Willard" wrote:
> | When I ran a "system repair", they must have been added then to C:\,
> | which I did not notice until much later...
> |
> | Thanks for the info,
> | Willard

Look in \i386.

I believe they are recovery-related, maybe in creating
a working boot.ini. Spent a few minutes googling for
them the other day but found no clear explanation of
what/why/when etc. Haven't looked around microsoft.com,
either. Sorry to be foggy.

DL wrote:
> Are you saying these two files are part of win2k?
>
> "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
>
>>You're welcome.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>>Microsoft Certified Professional
>>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>>"Willard" wrote:
>>| When I ran a "system repair", they must have been added then to C:\,
>>| which I did not notice until much later...
>>|
>>| Thanks for the info,
>>| Willard

Yes, details are sketchy but may have been placed after installing the
recovery console.

--

"DL" wrote:
| Are you saying these two files are part of win2k?

dl

Odd, they are not on my sys, nor my slipstreamed sp4 folder.Nor do they seem
to be part of my recovery console (I setup a boot option for this)
I did see a mention on MS/Google that they were related to NT
Such is life

> Yes, details are sketchy but may have been placed after installing the
> recovery console.
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "DL" wrote:
> | Are you saying these two files are part of win2k?

Well, not sure about that, but I'd bet on :

Arcldr: A (?) Recovery Console Loader - the boot loader for the NT recovery
console.

The purpose of both these files is to boot into the recovery console.

Flos

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
According to
http://www.ntcompatible.com/arcldr.exe_and_arcsetup.exe..._What_are_they_t22275.html
ARC stands for Advanced RISC Computing.
(RISC stands for Reduced Instruction Set Computing).
Unless you're using a RISC machine, they have no use.
Always a good idea to rename the files and test that the boot-up still works, rather than directly deleting. If anything goes wrong, you can use a Live CD for one of the Linux distros to undo the renaming, because you always keep a note of manual system changes. This is why you always keep a notebook and pencil beside your keyboard, don't you?
Phil Headford

jean1

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011