Win 2000 Administrator password

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 1, 2005 8:32:06 AM

I recently was given another PC to maintain. It is a Compaq Deskpro EN
running Windows 2000 SP2 Professional.
I am not familiar with this OS. It came without documentation and with
Administrator privileges already set. I wasn't given the Administrator
password. It's something of a mess. I can't maintain it without
Administrator access. I downloaded PNordahl's
"Bootdisk", copied the files to a floppy and booted up with it. I was
getting ready to edit the Administrator password when I realized I don't
know how to access the
Administrator account.

Assuming I change the password to none (as recommended), how can I get
Administrator access? The PC now boots to a user login that doesn't require
a password, which is nice I think. Can I set things up to boot to the
Administrator login?

If I can't get full control of this PC I am going to revert to Windows 98 or
ME.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:32:07 AM

Logon using the local administrator account using the blank password. If it
is set to autologon then hold the shift key while logging off.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Alfred Bowman" wrote:
<snip>
| Assuming I change the password to none (as recommended), how can I get
| Administrator access?
<snip>
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:26:24 PM

<snip>

> If I can't get full control of this PC I am going to revert to Windows 98
or
> ME.

I suggest that you might be doing yourself a huge disservice if you
went down this track. Windows 98 is a toy operating system that
is great for playing games but not much else. It has no security
and its stability is somewhat marginal. Furthermore, its life expectancy
is rather limited (meaning: When Microsoft stop supporting it then
all other suppliers will follow suit, leaving you without a virus scanner,
for example).

Windows ME is generally considered a bit of a lemon: The last
and least glorious member of the Win9x family.
!