Setup without usb detection

Dear all,

i have a notebook with broken USB controller. Don't know why it died
but that's not my problem.

I need to install Win2k on this machine, but at the first stages of
setup, it hangs when trying to talk to the USB chip.

There is currently Win98 on this box and it also hung during boot.
I figured out it was the USB-controller and deactivated it in the
hardware profile. Now it works fine. But i can't install 2k
nor can i reinstall Win98.

Is there any switch or other way to tell the setup program of win2k to
skip hardware detection of USB controllers (remember, even detection
hangs the machine!) during installation?

Any help is appreciated.

Ralf

Look for something in (system bios) cmos setup.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ralf Herrmann" wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| i have a notebook with broken USB controller. Don't know why it died
| but that's not my problem.
|
| I need to install Win2k on this machine, but at the first stages of
| setup, it hangs when trying to talk to the USB chip.
|
| There is currently Win98 on this box and it also hung during boot.
| I figured out it was the USB-controller and deactivated it in the
| hardware profile. Now it works fine. But i can't install 2k
| nor can i reinstall Win98.
|
| Is there any switch or other way to tell the setup program of win2k to
| skip hardware detection of USB controllers (remember, even detection
| hangs the machine!) during installation?
|
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Ralf

Hi Patrick,

> Look for something in (system bios) cmos setup.

Thx for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that the BIOS
has no option to disbale USB :-(

Any other solutions anybody?

Bye,

Ralf