fan cooling not for pc

halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
hi i have a 120mm fan that i want to use for cooling something else which isnt my pc. However i cant get it to work by using a 12v plug cus for some reason it wont work (doesnt anyone have a step by step guide on how to do this, i may be doing it wrong)

Therefore my only other option is to use a pc power supply i got an old 200watt one, however by using this power supply will it always be constantly be using 200 wats or will it just take the 12 volts it needs to power the fan.

I ask this because my parents are always ranting about the electric bill and adding a 200 watt which will be constantly on will send them and the bill through the roof

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
If you plug your fan to a 200 Watt PSU, your fan will overspin, detach from the bearing and reach geosynchronous orbit

Just kidding. If you plug your fan alone into the 200W PSU, it will only draw the necessary amps. The PUS will consume a bit more as it will not be 100% efficient especially in that low range, and also it'll make the PSU fan turn

Somebody smarter than me will point out the pin Layouts. I do recall there is one +12V, a ground and a +5V (7V is obtained by using 12-5) but I don't know exactly which is which.

You could use a DC transfo (some plug into the wall and have a cigarette lighter socket 12V). Just check how many mA it supplies, and hack a cigarette lighter plug into the appropriate fan plug. A rheostat would give you control over the fan speed.

Cheers

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
That is actually a very good idea. I have an AV cabinet that I would like to purchase, but the airflow openings aren't the greatest. I was thinking about getting some small, low power and low profile fans to attach to the front of the cabinet to keep the heat levels down in the cabinet by just pushing the air a little. At least someone is thinking along the same track as I am.

you can buy any old cheap usb to ide adapter....they come with a 12/5 volt psu 2A @ 12 volts in most cases....so that will run the fan.....but if you are after efficiency...go to radioshack(if they still sell them) and ask for a 120mm 120vac fan....no waste...

That is actually a very good idea. I have an AV cabinet that I would like to purchase, but the airflow openings aren't the greatest. I was thinking about getting some small, low power and low profile fans to attach to the front of the cabinet to keep the heat levels down in the cabinet by just pushing the air a little. At least someone is thinking along the same track as I am.
thats the first thing i thought....

EDIT...
looks like radio shack does not sell them anymore....but look around....may be able to find some
YS tech still makes em....but not sure where to get them anymore

Inshali

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
check what voltage you need for the rpm you want and use a old cell phone charger or some old charger you plug into the wall socket.
youl only need the positive and the negative wires
5 volt and itl run slow 12 volt and fast
all the chargers have writen on them what voltage output and the miliamps
positive I think is the center of the plug and outside is negative
hope that helps good luck