Can't Install Win2K Or XP Pro on Dell Dimension 8400 with ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hello.

I'd like to get some help installing Windows 2000 Pro on a Dell
computer. I've visited the Dell forum and got some help, but not
quite enough to attain success, so I'm hoping I can get more help
here.

I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8400, which came with Windows XP
Home and SP-2 pre-installed. I had Dell add a floppy drive.

The hard drive is a Serial ATA 80 gig.

Just for the sake of curiosity, I tried installing Windows 2000 on it.
I could not. The hard drive wasn't recognized at all, when I booted
up from the Windows 2000 installation CD.

My Zip drive, and my Maxtor external hard drive, were recognized, but
not the SATA.

So, I aborted the installation.

I then proceeded to try installing Windows XP Professional. The same
thing happened, so I aborted that installation as well, and resigned
myself to installing XP Home from Dell's OEM CD. I don't mind that,
but I would really like to get Windows 2000 or XP Pro on the computer.

After doing a bit of research, I found out I could put some SATA/RAID
driver files on a floppy, and when the setup of the operating system
begins, press F6 and the driver files on the floppy will be installed,
thus permitting the OS to be installed.

But here's the problem: I have NO CLUE what files to put on the
floppy, or where to find them.

Can anyone help me? I'd like a floppy disk for use with Windows 2000,
and another floppy disk for use with Windows XP Pro, unless the driver
files would be the same for both versions.

Which file(s) would I have to put on the floppy, and where can I get
them? I do not have access at all to an already-installed version of
Windows 2000, but I do have a second computer that has Windows XP Pro
on it. (Ironically, that computer doesn't support Windows 2000
either.)

I have no real, pressing NEED for Windows 2000 or XP Pro on my Dell,
but I just WANT to try out Windows 2000. It's the only version of
Windows I've never used hands-on and am curious to see how it performs
when compared side-by-side to XP.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. J. Danniel

To reply via e-mail,
please remove the number 5 from
the reply address.
Thank you very much. J. Danniel
17 answers Last reply
More about install win2k dell dimension 8400
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    That's correct. You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom.
    The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom;
    change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe
    (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your serial ATA controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Download the files from Dell or the controller manufacturer's web site.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "J. Danniel" wrote:
    | Hello.
    |
    | I'd like to get some help installing Windows 2000 Pro on a Dell
    | computer. I've visited the Dell forum and got some help, but not
    | quite enough to attain success, so I'm hoping I can get more help
    | here.
    |
    | I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8400, which came with Windows XP
    | Home and SP-2 pre-installed. I had Dell add a floppy drive.
    |
    | The hard drive is a Serial ATA 80 gig.
    |
    | Just for the sake of curiosity, I tried installing Windows 2000 on it.
    | I could not. The hard drive wasn't recognized at all, when I booted
    | up from the Windows 2000 installation CD.
    |
    | My Zip drive, and my Maxtor external hard drive, were recognized, but
    | not the SATA.
    |
    | So, I aborted the installation.
    |
    | I then proceeded to try installing Windows XP Professional. The same
    | thing happened, so I aborted that installation as well, and resigned
    | myself to installing XP Home from Dell's OEM CD. I don't mind that,
    | but I would really like to get Windows 2000 or XP Pro on the computer.
    |
    | After doing a bit of research, I found out I could put some SATA/RAID
    | driver files on a floppy, and when the setup of the operating system
    | begins, press F6 and the driver files on the floppy will be installed,
    | thus permitting the OS to be installed.
    |
    | But here's the problem: I have NO CLUE what files to put on the
    | floppy, or where to find them.
    |
    | Can anyone help me? I'd like a floppy disk for use with Windows 2000,
    | and another floppy disk for use with Windows XP Pro, unless the driver
    | files would be the same for both versions.
    |
    | Which file(s) would I have to put on the floppy, and where can I get
    | them? I do not have access at all to an already-installed version of
    | Windows 2000, but I do have a second computer that has Windows XP Pro
    | on it. (Ironically, that computer doesn't support Windows 2000
    | either.)
    |
    | I have no real, pressing NEED for Windows 2000 or XP Pro on my Dell,
    | but I just WANT to try out Windows 2000. It's the only version of
    | Windows I've never used hands-on and am curious to see how it performs
    | when compared side-by-side to XP.
    |
    | Thank you for any assistance you can provide. J. Danniel
    |

    | To reply via e-mail,
    | please remove the number 5 from
    | the reply address.
    | Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You're correct about the driver, no native SATA support so you need a driver
    for when the prompt comes up during the install. The Dell support site has a
    SATA driver. You should be able to put it on CD or floppy if it will fit.
    There is also a reinstall guide. I go through a signon to get there so I
    can't give you a direct link but you can get the same thing at
    support.dell.com
    I've never tried to pull the drivers off an existing system but I wouldn't
    unless they are in the Dell folder on that system. Not sure about using XP
    drivers for W2K - sometimes yes sometimes no.

    "J. Danniel" wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I'd like to get some help installing Windows 2000 Pro on a Dell
    > computer. I've visited the Dell forum and got some help, but not
    > quite enough to attain success, so I'm hoping I can get more help
    > here.
    >
    > I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8400, which came with Windows XP
    > Home and SP-2 pre-installed. I had Dell add a floppy drive.
    >
    > The hard drive is a Serial ATA 80 gig.
    >
    > Just for the sake of curiosity, I tried installing Windows 2000 on it.
    > I could not. The hard drive wasn't recognized at all, when I booted
    > up from the Windows 2000 installation CD.
    >
    > My Zip drive, and my Maxtor external hard drive, were recognized, but
    > not the SATA.
    >
    > So, I aborted the installation.
    >
    > I then proceeded to try installing Windows XP Professional. The same
    > thing happened, so I aborted that installation as well, and resigned
    > myself to installing XP Home from Dell's OEM CD. I don't mind that,
    > but I would really like to get Windows 2000 or XP Pro on the computer.
    >
    > After doing a bit of research, I found out I could put some SATA/RAID
    > driver files on a floppy, and when the setup of the operating system
    > begins, press F6 and the driver files on the floppy will be installed,
    > thus permitting the OS to be installed.
    >
    > But here's the problem: I have NO CLUE what files to put on the
    > floppy, or where to find them.
    >
    > Can anyone help me? I'd like a floppy disk for use with Windows 2000,
    > and another floppy disk for use with Windows XP Pro, unless the driver
    > files would be the same for both versions.
    >
    > Which file(s) would I have to put on the floppy, and where can I get
    > them? I do not have access at all to an already-installed version of
    > Windows 2000, but I do have a second computer that has Windows XP Pro
    > on it. (Ironically, that computer doesn't support Windows 2000
    > either.)
    >
    > I have no real, pressing NEED for Windows 2000 or XP Pro on my Dell,
    > but I just WANT to try out Windows 2000. It's the only version of
    > Windows I've never used hands-on and am curious to see how it performs
    > when compared side-by-side to XP.
    >
    > Thank you for any assistance you can provide. J. Danniel
    >

    > To reply via e-mail,
    > please remove the number 5 from
    > the reply address.
    > Thank you very much. J. Danniel

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&category=41&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=7548&devlib=41

    Welcome to Dell Community Forum
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=dimension

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "J. Danniel" wrote:

    | Hello.
    |
    | I'd like to get some help installing Windows 2000 Pro on a Dell
    | computer. I've visited the Dell forum and got some help, but not
    | quite enough to attain success, so I'm hoping I can get more help
    | here.
    |
    | I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8400, which came with Windows XP
    | Home and SP-2 pre-installed. I had Dell add a floppy drive.
    |
    | The hard drive is a Serial ATA 80 gig.
    |
    | Just for the sake of curiosity, I tried installing Windows 2000 on it.
    | I could not. The hard drive wasn't recognized at all, when I booted
    | up from the Windows 2000 installation CD.
    |
    | My Zip drive, and my Maxtor external hard drive, were recognized, but
    | not the SATA.
    |
    | So, I aborted the installation.
    |
    | I then proceeded to try installing Windows XP Professional. The same
    | thing happened, so I aborted that installation as well, and resigned
    | myself to installing XP Home from Dell's OEM CD. I don't mind that,
    | but I would really like to get Windows 2000 or XP Pro on the computer.
    |
    | After doing a bit of research, I found out I could put some SATA/RAID
    | driver files on a floppy, and when the setup of the operating system
    | begins, press F6 and the driver files on the floppy will be installed,
    | thus permitting the OS to be installed.
    |
    | But here's the problem: I have NO CLUE what files to put on the
    | floppy, or where to find them.
    |
    | Can anyone help me? I'd like a floppy disk for use with Windows 2000,
    | and another floppy disk for use with Windows XP Pro, unless the driver
    | files would be the same for both versions.
    |
    | Which file(s) would I have to put on the floppy, and where can I get
    | them? I do not have access at all to an already-installed version of
    | Windows 2000, but I do have a second computer that has Windows XP Pro
    | on it. (Ironically, that computer doesn't support Windows 2000
    | either.)
    |
    | I have no real, pressing NEED for Windows 2000 or XP Pro on my Dell,
    | but I just WANT to try out Windows 2000. It's the only version of
    | Windows I've never used hands-on and am curious to see how it performs
    | when compared side-by-side to XP.
    |
    | Thank you for any assistance you can provide. J. Danniel
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    What are these, and why do I need to install them before connecting to
    my network?

    >Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    To reply via e-mail,
    please remove the number 5 from
    the reply address.
    Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The first is SP4 the others you can read about. If not installed you likely
    be infected within minutes.

    --

    "J. Danniel" wrote:
    | What are these, and why do I need to install them before connecting to
    | my network?
    |
    | >Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    |

    | To reply via e-mail,
    | please remove the number 5 from
    | the reply address.
    | Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    One other follow-up question about these:

    I do have a home network, but I'm not using the computer's onboard
    Ethernet connection. I installed a Microsoft PCI network card, in
    conjunction with the Microsoft Wired Base Station.

    If I'm using that card instead of the Ethernet connection, are the
    files listed below still necessary and required? Thank you.

    >Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
    >
    >http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    >Download the files from Dell or the controller manufacturer's web site.

    To reply via e-mail,
    please remove the number 5 from
    the reply address.
    Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Yes

    --

    "J. Danniel" wrote:
    | One other follow-up question about these:
    |
    | I do have a home network, but I'm not using the computer's onboard
    | Ethernet connection. I installed a Microsoft PCI network card, in
    | conjunction with the Microsoft Wired Base Station.
    |
    | If I'm using that card instead of the Ethernet connection, are the
    | files listed below still necessary and required? Thank you.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Is this the only thing I need to get the hard drive recognized?
    Thank you.

    >Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition
    >http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&category=41&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=7548&devlib=41

    To reply via e-mail,
    please remove the number 5 from
    the reply address.
    Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Nope, didn't work.

    I downloaded this, put it on a floppy, booted my Windows XP Pro CD,
    pressed F6, pressed S, chose the first of the two options that
    appeared....and...

    Once again, no hard drive recognized.

    You gave me a link for the Dell Forums. I've been there. I've asked
    for help. I'm still at a loss.

    Is there anything else I can try?

    >Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition
    >http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&category=41&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=7548&devlib=41

    To reply via e-mail,
    please remove the number 5 from
    the reply address.
    Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Make sure you adjust the boot order in your BIOS to:

    1. CD Drive
    2. Hard Drive
    3. Floppy Drive

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "J. Danniel" wrote:

    | Nope, didn't work.
    |
    | I downloaded this, put it on a floppy, booted my Windows XP Pro CD,
    | pressed F6, pressed S, chose the first of the two options that
    | appeared....and...
    |
    | Once again, no hard drive recognized.
    |
    | You gave me a link for the Dell Forums. I've been there. I've asked
    | for help. I'm still at a loss.
    |
    | Is there anything else I can try?
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dave,

    I downloaded and tried the package Carey suggested in the first reply
    of this thread, but it didn't work. The hard drive is still not being
    recognized.

    If that package didn't work, then what else can I try?

    To reply via e-mail,
    please remove the number 5 from
    the reply address.
    Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Nothing I've downloaded from the Dell site has worked, so far.
    Nothing.

    >You're correct about the driver, no native SATA support so you need a driver
    >for when the prompt comes up during the install. The Dell support site has a
    >SATA driver. You should be able to put it on CD or floppy if it will fit.
    >There is also a reinstall guide. I go through a signon to get there so I
    >can't give you a direct link but you can get the same thing at
    >support.dell.com
    >I've never tried to pull the drivers off an existing system but I wouldn't
    >unless they are in the Dell folder on that system. Not sure about using XP
    >drivers for W2K - sometimes yes sometimes no.

    To reply via e-mail,
    please remove the number 5 from
    the reply address.
    Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "J. Danniel" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | I downloaded and tried the package Carey suggested in the first reply
    | of this thread, but it didn't work. The hard drive is still not being
    | recognized.
    |
    | If that package didn't work, then what else can I try?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The sata drivers are likely available form Dell site.
    (The sata controler being built into mobo)
    There is unlikely to be any difference between win2k/winxp sata drivers

    "J. Danniel" <jd5jd@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'd like to get some help installing Windows 2000 Pro on a Dell
    > computer. I've visited the Dell forum and got some help, but not
    > quite enough to attain success, so I'm hoping I can get more help
    > here.
    >
    > I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8400, which came with Windows XP
    > Home and SP-2 pre-installed. I had Dell add a floppy drive.
    >
    > The hard drive is a Serial ATA 80 gig.
    >
    > Just for the sake of curiosity, I tried installing Windows 2000 on it.
    > I could not. The hard drive wasn't recognized at all, when I booted
    > up from the Windows 2000 installation CD.
    >
    > My Zip drive, and my Maxtor external hard drive, were recognized, but
    > not the SATA.
    >
    > So, I aborted the installation.
    >
    > I then proceeded to try installing Windows XP Professional. The same
    > thing happened, so I aborted that installation as well, and resigned
    > myself to installing XP Home from Dell's OEM CD. I don't mind that,
    > but I would really like to get Windows 2000 or XP Pro on the computer.
    >
    > After doing a bit of research, I found out I could put some SATA/RAID
    > driver files on a floppy, and when the setup of the operating system
    > begins, press F6 and the driver files on the floppy will be installed,
    > thus permitting the OS to be installed.
    >
    > But here's the problem: I have NO CLUE what files to put on the
    > floppy, or where to find them.
    >
    > Can anyone help me? I'd like a floppy disk for use with Windows 2000,
    > and another floppy disk for use with Windows XP Pro, unless the driver
    > files would be the same for both versions.
    >
    > Which file(s) would I have to put on the floppy, and where can I get
    > them? I do not have access at all to an already-installed version of
    > Windows 2000, but I do have a second computer that has Windows XP Pro
    > on it. (Ironically, that computer doesn't support Windows 2000
    > either.)
    >
    > I have no real, pressing NEED for Windows 2000 or XP Pro on my Dell,
    > but I just WANT to try out Windows 2000. It's the only version of
    > Windows I've never used hands-on and am curious to see how it performs
    > when compared side-by-side to XP.
    >
    > Thank you for any assistance you can provide. J. Danniel
    >

    > To reply via e-mail,
    > please remove the number 5 from
    > the reply address.
    > Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    HOLD....EVERYTHING....

    I think I did it.

    I think I got the hard drive recognized.

    I think I figured out the problem.

    The package Carey recommended...there are two options for it when you
    select F6.

    I think you have to install BOTH options, because the first by itself
    didn't work, and the second by itself didn't work--not for me.

    The first is for RAID and the second is for...I think ACHI if I'm not
    mistaken.

    I went ahead and selected the first one, then the second one as well,
    and the hard drive appeared to be recognized when I tried this.

    Okay...I have Windows 2000, I have the Service Pack, and various
    drivers.

    I'll try installing Windows 2000 and adding the various drivers I need
    for my video card, sound card, etc.

    It might take me a day or so to follow-up, but I'll post another
    message here, as soon as I know one way or another whether I've met
    with success.

    Sorry about being a long-winded pest, but right now I'm pretty
    excited.

    To reply via e-mail,
    please remove the number 5 from
    the reply address.
    Thank you very much. J. Danniel
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    In news:elt7519mervd43iue2ufn0o2rr4hc1pe41@4ax.com,
    J. Danniel <jd5jd@prodigy.net> respectfully replied ;-)
    > HOLD....EVERYTHING....
    >
    > I think I did it.
    >
    > I think I got the hard drive recognized.
    >
    > I think I figured out the problem.
    >
    > The package Carey recommended...there are two options for it when you
    > select F6.
    >
    > I think you have to install BOTH options, because the first by itself
    > didn't work, and the second by itself didn't work--not for me.
    >
    > The first is for RAID and the second is for...I think ACHI if I'm not
    > mistaken.
    >
    > I went ahead and selected the first one, then the second one as well,
    > and the hard drive appeared to be recognized when I tried this.
    >
    > Okay...I have Windows 2000, I have the Service Pack, and various
    > drivers.
    >
    > I'll try installing Windows 2000 and adding the various drivers I need
    > for my video card, sound card, etc.
    >
    > It might take me a day or so to follow-up, but I'll post another
    > message here, as soon as I know one way or another whether I've met
    > with success.
    >
    > Sorry about being a long-winded pest, but right now I'm pretty
    > excited.
    >

    > To reply via e-mail,
    > please remove the number 5 from
    > the reply address.
    > Thank you very much. J. Danniel

    Good, glad it is looking up for you, I couldn't understand why the original
    post from Carey wasn't working. I looked for another solution and could only
    find the one Carey referenced.
    Thanks and please post back the follow-up results, it really helps define
    how we reply to problems and ask questions.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Okay...here's how things turned out, if anyone is interested.

    Windows 2000 successfully installed on my computer. I had to add a
    bunch of things, such as DirectX, XML, and various drivers, but I
    expected that. It worked fine.

    Then, glutton for punishment that I am, I started all over again, this
    time with Windows XP Professional.

    The hard drive was recognized; the entire setup process worked.
    However, upon rebooting after the installation process completed, I
    got a Blue Screen of Death (actually, it was black) that said the
    usual stuff about something being wrong, to check for viruses, if this
    is the first time you've encountered this error, etc.

    I tried numerous times to overcome this screen, but could not. So,
    Windows XP Pro never got working. It might have been due to using
    both RAID controller drivers from the floppy, instead of just one, but
    as I said in a previous e-mail, using just one or the other didn't
    work.

    So, instead of going all the way back to Windows 2000, I went ahead
    and installed Windows XP Home that came with the Dell.

    But the important issue here is this: I got Windows 2000 installed,
    thanks to Carey's URL.

    Now, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get XP Pro going without
    that major error screen, I'm all ears, although I am in no real need
    of XP Pro. Windows XP Home is perfectly satisfactory for my needs
    now.

    Thanks again, everyone! Jd

Windows 2000 Dell Windows XP Windows