Generic Host Process???

Lately, every third or fourth time I turn the computer on, I get this error
message:

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed
to close."

Why does this happen? What does it mean? How can it be fixed?

Thanks for your kind attention,

Alan
9 answers Last reply
More about generic host process

    Make sure your firewall protection is turned on, furthermore, your pc is
    likely to be infected with a sasser and blaster worm virus. Take a look at
    the sites below for removal instructions:
    http://www.pchell.com/virus/msblast.shtml
    &
    http://www.pchell.com/virus/sasser.shtml

    --
    HTH
    Meena
    <Alan Moorman@visi.com> wrote in message
    > Lately, every third or fourth time I turn the computer on, I get this
    error
    > message:
    >
    > "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed
    > to close."
    >
    > Why does this happen? What does it mean? How can it be fixed?
    >
    > Thanks for your kind attention,
    >
    > Alan

    Alan,

    I'm guessing that the only virus you have is Windows XP ! As Meena
    suggests, make sure you only have (only one) firewall turned on. Lots of
    people are reporting this issue, but do check that you don't have any virii,
    and there's also a known problem with an hp printer driver (see ms website
    for details).

    But for most people this has been a problem since the last Windows update.
    I'm pretty sure it's related to that, although I may be totally wrong ! I
    guess we just have to wait for Microsoft to fix the problem if that is the
    case.

    Are you on a network ? Home or business use ? I went back to a previous
    restore point, and turned off windows updates. Although do make sure that
    you turn it back on again once this issue is resolved, and regularly check
    the updates feature on microsoft's website in the meantime.

    As I said, this may not be the problem, but from looking at various
    websites, the general consensus of opinion is the last windows updates being
    the fault.

    Hope this helps.

    "Meena" wrote:

    > Make sure your firewall protection is turned on, furthermore, your pc is
    > likely to be infected with a sasser and blaster worm virus. Take a look at
    > the sites below for removal instructions:
    > http://www.pchell.com/virus/msblast.shtml
    > &
    > http://www.pchell.com/virus/sasser.shtml
    >
    > --
    > HTH
    > Meena
    > <Alan Moorman@visi.com> wrote in message
    > > Lately, every third or fourth time I turn the computer on, I get this
    > error
    > > message:
    > >
    > > "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed
    > > to close."
    > >
    > > Why does this happen? What does it mean? How can it be fixed?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your kind attention,
    > >
    > > Alan

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:23:08 -0800, "Ronaldo"
    <Ronaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Alan,
    >
    >I'm guessing that the only virus you have is Windows XP ! As Meena
    >suggests, make sure you only have (only one) firewall turned on. Lots of
    >people are reporting this issue, but do check that you don't have any virii,
    >and there's also a known problem with an hp printer driver (see ms website
    >for details).

    I have the full-strength Norton protection package. It is on to screen
    while the computer is running, it gets periodic updates, and it sweeps the
    entire computer once a week. No alarms!

    So I would guess it is something else.

    >But for most people this has been a problem since the last Windows update.
    >I'm pretty sure it's related to that, although I may be totally wrong ! I
    >guess we just have to wait for Microsoft to fix the problem if that is the
    >case.
    I'm hoping you're right, and that I'm doing the right thing by rebooting if
    this message pops up when I turn the computer on.

    >Are you on a network ? Home or business use ? I went back to a previous
    >restore point, and turned off windows updates. Although do make sure that
    >you turn it back on again once this issue is resolved, and regularly check
    >the updates feature on microsoft's website in the meantime.

    Not on a network. Home use with a local isp for email and web surfing.

    >As I said, this may not be the problem, but from looking at various
    >websites, the general consensus of opinion is the last windows updates being
    >the fault.
    >
    >Hope this helps.

    I'll check on the virus sites Meena mentioned, but, mainly, I guess I'm
    going to bury my head in the sand!

    ....Unless someone comes up with something more detailed!

    Thanks,
    Alan

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:12:44 +0530, "Meena"
    <SAYNO2SPAM.emailmeena@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Make sure your firewall protection is turned on, furthermore, your pc is
    >likely to be infected with a sasser and blaster worm virus. Take a look at
    >the sites below for removal instructions:
    >http://www.pchell.com/virus/msblast.shtml
    >&
    >http://www.pchell.com/virus/sasser.shtml

    Thanks, Meena. I went and checked those, and they don't seem to fit the
    situation. Different error message, and my XP is fully up-to-date. . . .

    Alan

    Do you have more than one computer sharing your internet connection? Can
    you pin down which application is using svchost.exe and causing the
    problems?

    What error reports ( if any ) show up in Event Viewer? Please post
    copies.

    Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
    discrepancies can
    make it harder to search for information about the error message.

    You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
    Event Viewer.
    When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
    ID, Source
    and Description are important.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
    click on the
    error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
    resembling two
    pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
    message
    (email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
    info from the
    Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
    sure this is
    the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Alan Moorman@visi.com" wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:23:08 -0800, "Ronaldo"
    > <Ronaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Alan,
    > >
    > >I'm guessing that the only virus you have is Windows XP ! As Meena
    > >suggests, make sure you only have (only one) firewall turned on. Lots of
    > >people are reporting this issue, but do check that you don't have any virii,
    > >and there's also a known problem with an hp printer driver (see ms website
    > >for details).
    >
    > I have the full-strength Norton protection package. It is on to screen
    > while the computer is running, it gets periodic updates, and it sweeps the
    > entire computer once a week. No alarms!
    >
    > So I would guess it is something else.
    > >
    > >But for most people this has been a problem since the last Windows update.
    > >I'm pretty sure it's related to that, although I may be totally wrong ! I
    > >guess we just have to wait for Microsoft to fix the problem if that is the
    > >case.
    > I'm hoping you're right, and that I'm doing the right thing by rebooting if
    > this message pops up when I turn the computer on.
    > >
    > >Are you on a network ? Home or business use ? I went back to a previous
    > >restore point, and turned off windows updates. Although do make sure that
    > >you turn it back on again once this issue is resolved, and regularly check
    > >the updates feature on microsoft's website in the meantime.
    >
    > Not on a network. Home use with a local isp for email and web surfing.
    > >
    > >As I said, this may not be the problem, but from looking at various
    > >websites, the general consensus of opinion is the last windows updates being
    > >the fault.
    > >
    > >Hope this helps.
    > >
    > I'll check on the virus sites Meena mentioned, but, mainly, I guess I'm
    > going to bury my head in the sand!
    >
    > ....Unless someone comes up with something more detailed!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alan

    As I mentioned, I've been getting this error too, so I've been researching
    it. Look at the postings at this site :
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12226.0 The guy's been in touch with
    a microsoft engineer, who is of the opinion that a recent windows update is
    at fault.

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:57:02 -0800, "Ronaldo"
    <Ronaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >"Alan Moorman@visi.com" wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:23:08 -0800, "Ronaldo"
    >> <Ronaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Alan,
    >> >
    >> >I'm guessing that the only virus you have is Windows XP ! As Meena
    >> >suggests, make sure you only have (only one) firewall turned on. Lots of
    >> >people are reporting this issue, but do check that you don't have any virii,
    >> >and there's also a known problem with an hp printer driver (see ms website
    >> >for details).
    >>
    >> I have the full-strength Norton protection package. It is on to screen
    >> while the computer is running, it gets periodic updates, and it sweeps the
    >> entire computer once a week. No alarms!
    >>
    >> So I would guess it is something else.
    >> >
    >> >But for most people this has been a problem since the last Windows update.
    >> >I'm pretty sure it's related to that, although I may be totally wrong ! I
    >> >guess we just have to wait for Microsoft to fix the problem if that is the
    >> >case.
    >> I'm hoping you're right, and that I'm doing the right thing by rebooting if
    >> this message pops up when I turn the computer on.
    >> >
    >> >Are you on a network ? Home or business use ? I went back to a previous
    >> >restore point, and turned off windows updates. Although do make sure that
    >> >you turn it back on again once this issue is resolved, and regularly check
    >> >the updates feature on microsoft's website in the meantime.
    >>
    >> Not on a network. Home use with a local isp for email and web surfing.
    >> >
    >> >As I said, this may not be the problem, but from looking at various
    >> >websites, the general consensus of opinion is the last windows updates being
    >> >the fault.
    >> >
    >> >Hope this helps.
    >> >
    >> I'll check on the virus sites Meena mentioned, but, mainly, I guess I'm
    >> going to bury my head in the sand!
    >>
    >> ....Unless someone comes up with something more detailed!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Alan
    >>

    >As I mentioned, I've been getting this error too, so I've been researching
    >it. Look at the postings at this site :
    >http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12226.0 The guy's been in touch with
    >a microsoft engineer, who is of the opinion that a recent windows update is
    >at fault.

    Thanks. You may well be right!

    I have to ask: Just what does Generic Host do, anyway??????

    This from the summary of a document called up in Help and Support:

    Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from
    dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the
    %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services
    portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to
    load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same
    time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that
    separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is
    started. This allows for better control and debugging.

    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:57:02 -0800, "Ronaldo"
    > <Ronaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Alan Moorman@visi.com" wrote:

    >>> I have the full-strength Norton protection package. It is on to screen
    >>> while the computer is running, it gets periodic updates, and it sweeps
    >>> the
    >>> entire computer once a week. No alarms!
    >>>
    >>> So I would guess it is something else.

    >>> I'm hoping you're right, and that I'm doing the right thing by rebooting
    >>> if
    >>> this message pops up when I turn the computer on.

    >>> Not on a network. Home use with a local isp for email and web surfing.

    >>> I'll check on the virus sites Meena mentioned, but, mainly, I guess I'm
    >>> going to bury my head in the sand!
    >>>
    >>> ....Unless someone comes up with something more detailed!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Alan
    >>>

    >>As I mentioned, I've been getting this error too, so I've been researching
    >>it. Look at the postings at this site :
    >>http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12226.0 The guy's been in touch
    >>with
    >>a microsoft engineer, who is of the opinion that a recent windows update
    >>is
    >>at fault.
    >
    > Thanks. You may well be right!
    >
    > I have to ask: Just what does Generic Host do, anyway??????

    has anyone heard if Microsoft has fixed this yet? Many are uninstalling their
    Feb2005 updates for now. Hopefully this should not cause any problems for now.

    "Ronaldo" wrote:

    > "Alan Moorman@visi.com" wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:23:08 -0800, "Ronaldo"
    > > <Ronaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Alan,
    > > >
    > > >I'm guessing that the only virus you have is Windows XP ! As Meena
    > > >suggests, make sure you only have (only one) firewall turned on. Lots of
    > > >people are reporting this issue, but do check that you don't have any virii,
    > > >and there's also a known problem with an hp printer driver (see ms website
    > > >for details).
    > >
    > > I have the full-strength Norton protection package. It is on to screen
    > > while the computer is running, it gets periodic updates, and it sweeps the
    > > entire computer once a week. No alarms!
    > >
    > > So I would guess it is something else.
    > > >
    > > >But for most people this has been a problem since the last Windows update.
    > > >I'm pretty sure it's related to that, although I may be totally wrong ! I
    > > >guess we just have to wait for Microsoft to fix the problem if that is the
    > > >case.
    > > I'm hoping you're right, and that I'm doing the right thing by rebooting if
    > > this message pops up when I turn the computer on.
    > > >
    > > >Are you on a network ? Home or business use ? I went back to a previous
    > > >restore point, and turned off windows updates. Although do make sure that
    > > >you turn it back on again once this issue is resolved, and regularly check
    > > >the updates feature on microsoft's website in the meantime.
    > >
    > > Not on a network. Home use with a local isp for email and web surfing.
    > > >
    > > >As I said, this may not be the problem, but from looking at various
    > > >websites, the general consensus of opinion is the last windows updates being
    > > >the fault.
    > > >
    > > >Hope this helps.
    > > >
    > > I'll check on the virus sites Meena mentioned, but, mainly, I guess I'm
    > > going to bury my head in the sand!
    > >
    > > ....Unless someone comes up with something more detailed!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Alan
    > >

    > As I mentioned, I've been getting this error too, so I've been researching
    > it. Look at the postings at this site :
    > http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12226.0 The guy's been in touch with
    > a microsoft engineer, who is of the opinion that a recent windows update is
    > at fault.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP