Icon Problem

How do I change the icon that is used to designate a file type?

I go to Windows Explore, click on Tools > Folder Options > File Types
and locate the file type I want to change. I am offered two options:
Change and Restore. If I choose Restore I get a completely different
association than the one I want. So I choose Change. But all that
happens is a list of icons representing applications comes up with no
way to change anything.

If I want to change the icon for other file types there is sometimes
an Advanced choice in place of Restore. Under that I can edit the icon
to the one I want.

So why are there two different kinds of file type menus? How do I get
the one I want?

--

Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

An atheist visited Isaac Newton and noticed his new toy,
a mechanical model of the Solar System.

"Who made this?", asked the atheist.

"No one", replied Newton.

"But somebody MUST have made it - it couldn't make itself",
said the atheist.

"Why do you believe that about the model, but not about the
real thing?", asked Newton.
11 answers Last reply
More about icon problem

    I think that you want to change the program that opens the file rather
    than the icon associated with it, right? An icon is just a picture. It
    doesn't do anything by itself other than to decorate the filename in some
    kinds of lists.

    Give us a specific example of a file type you want to change, and we'll be
    better able to help.

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:57:24 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com>
    wrote:

    >I think that you want to change the program that opens the file rather
    >than the icon associated with it, right? An icon is just a picture. It
    >doesn't do anything by itself other than to decorate the filename in some
    >kinds of lists.

    >Give us a specific example of a file type you want to change, and we'll be
    >better able to help.

    I use Winamp as my MP3 player. It generates a list with the extension
    ".M3U". Both MP3 files and M3U files have the Winamp icon associated
    with them.

    Then one day I "upgrade" Windows Media Player. It doesn't ask me if I
    want it to be the default player for MP3 files - it just goes and
    makes itself the default player, which causes all my MP3 and M3U files
    to have a different association.

    So I go to File Types and change the association back to Winamp. Now
    it is the default player again. However, there is a bug somewhere that
    causes Windows to display a different icon than the one I had
    previously. But I cannot access the editor for file types which allows
    me to change the icon, because there is no Advanced button, only a
    Restore button.

    How do I get to a menu that has Advanced on it?

    --

    Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

    An atheist visited Isaac Newton and noticed his new toy,
    a mechanical model of the Solar System.

    "Who made this?", asked the atheist.

    "No one", replied Newton.

    "But somebody MUST have made it - it couldn't make itself",
    said the atheist.

    "Why do you believe that about the model, but not about the
    real thing?", asked Newton.

    Sweet Ol' Bob (SOB) <sob@sob.com> wrote:
    > I use Winamp as my MP3 player. It generates a list with the extension
    > ".M3U". Both MP3 files and M3U files have the Winamp icon associated
    > with them.

    > Then one day I "upgrade" Windows Media Player. It doesn't ask me if I
    > want it to be the default player for MP3 files - it just goes and
    > makes itself the default player, which causes all my MP3 and M3U files
    > to have a different association.

    > So I go to File Types and change the association back to Winamp. Now
    > it is the default player again. However, there is a bug somewhere that
    > causes Windows to display a different icon than the one I had
    > previously. But I cannot access the editor for file types which allows
    > me to change the icon, because there is no Advanced button, only a
    > Restore button.

    > How do I get to a menu that has Advanced on it?

    This may be an EditFlags issue. Using Regedit, go into HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    and look at the (default) entry for .m3u. It will normally be "m3ufile".
    Now go to the entry for m3ufile (or whatever you have there). One of the
    values under that key should be named EditFlags. Report back the type and
    value. It's REG_BINARY and 00 00 10 00 on my system). If you have
    something else, that may be the cause of the problem.

    --

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:34:24 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com>
    wrote:

    >This may be an EditFlags issue. Using Regedit, go into HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    >and look at the (default) entry for .m3u.

    I found it at near the beginning.

    >It will normally be "m3ufile".

    Default is listed as "Winamp.Playlist".

    >Now go to the entry for m3ufile (or whatever you have there).

    I did a Find on that and

    >One of the values under that key should be named EditFlags. Report back the type and
    >value. It's REG_BINARY and 00 00 10 00 on my system).

    That is exactly what I have.

    I looked at the entry "Winamp.file" (eg. "mp3") which does allow
    editing with the Advanced button, and its EditFlag is REG_DWORD 0.

    So I changed the EditFlags for "Winamp.Playlist". Nothing happened.

    But I did spot the icon key. The icon I want is labeled "0". The one
    chosen for the M3U file is "2". So I did the edit.

    Now something has happened. Before I tinkered with the Registry, MP3
    file type allowed Advanced editing. Now it only has Restore button.

    Thanks for your help. Further comments would be appreciated.

    --

    Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

    An atheist visited Isaac Newton and noticed his new toy,
    a mechanical model of the Solar System.

    "Who made this?", asked the atheist.

    "No one", replied Newton.

    "But somebody MUST have made it - it couldn't make itself",
    said the atheist.

    "Why do you believe that about the model, but not about the
    real thing?", asked Newton.

    Sweet Ol' Bob (SOB) <sob@sob.com> wrote:
    > I looked at the entry "Winamp.file" (eg. "mp3") which does allow
    > editing with the Advanced button, and its EditFlag is REG_DWORD 0.

    > So I changed the EditFlags for "Winamp.Playlist". Nothing happened.

    > But I did spot the icon key. The icon I want is labeled "0". The one
    > chosen for the M3U file is "2". So I did the edit.

    > Now something has happened. Before I tinkered with the Registry, MP3
    > file type allowed Advanced editing. Now it only has Restore button.

    You are running Windows 2000, right? I've checked many of the entries in
    Folder Options | File Types, and every one of them shows the Advanced
    button, although for some types the Windows you get when you click the
    button is empty. Thinking back, I don't think I've ever seen a Restore
    button. I have no experience with WinAMp, so I can't offer any
    suggestions there.

    With respect to the icons themselves, it appears that often the icon
    displayed with a filename is determined by the program registered to open
    that file. There's no explicit registry entry for the icon in these
    cases. In the cases where the DefaultIcon key already exists, changing
    the (Default) value should not affect the ability to modift File Types
    data.

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:07:03 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com>
    wrote:

    >You are running Windows 2000, right?

    Yes, but it was an overlay of NT4. There are some things that are
    different from a clean install of Win2K, so maybe that's where the
    problem arises.

    >I've checked many of the entries in
    >Folder Options | File Types, and every one of them shows the Advanced
    >button, although for some types the Windows you get when you click the
    >button is empty. Thinking back, I don't think I've ever seen a Restore
    >button. I have no experience with WinAMp, so I can't offer any
    >suggestions there.

    Winamp is but one example.

    Install the latest version of Windows Media Player. It will take over
    the default file associations. For example, after installing WMP, you
    will discover that MP3 files are associated with WMP and not with
    Winamp as they were before the association.

    So you change to Winamp and it selects an icon which you do not want.
    Now it's time to use the Advanced editor to change the icon. But all
    you have is the Restore button.

    I got around this by bringing up Add/Remove Programs. On the left side
    there is a link (Set Program Access and Defaults) that brings up a
    page where you can activate file associations. I selected the default,
    which apparently the system knew was Winamp and not WMP.

    Now when I click on the Restore button, I get Winamp as the default. I
    accept it and now I have the Advanced button, from which I can edit
    the icon.

    It would seem that somewhere in the Registry there is information
    about the default media player being Winamp, which was not overwritten
    when I installed WMP, even though that installation did overwrite
    individual file associations.

    ---

    Any comments about my question on why the INS toggle occurs without my
    hitting the INS key when I am editing in Windows.

    --

    Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable
    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:06:20 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com>
    wrote:

    >> Any comments about my question on why the INS toggle occurs without my
    >> hitting the INS key when I am editing in Windows.

    >What program are you using for editing? Handling of the Insert key is
    >usually an application issue, assuming that it's not a keyboard problem.

    Any editor. Right now I am using the one that comes with Free Agent. I
    also use the editors that come with other applications such as Eudora,
    Mozilla, Note Tab. That all behave the same way, which leads me to
    believe there is an editor API they are using.

    There appears to be some particular keystroke combination which
    includes backspaces that causes the editor to go into INS mode. I know
    there are other hidden editor changes that are invoked by keystrokes I
    make in error. I once buggered the editor so badly I had to reboot.

    Is there any way I can set the preferences for this API assuming that
    is what is behind all these application text editors?

    --

    Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable
    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Sweet Ol' Bob (SOB) <sob@sob.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:06:20 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com>
    > wrote:

    >>> Any comments about my question on why the INS toggle occurs without my
    >>> hitting the INS key when I am editing in Windows.

    >>What program are you using for editing? Handling of the Insert key is
    >>usually an application issue, assuming that it's not a keyboard problem.

    > Any editor. Right now I am using the one that comes with Free Agent. I
    > also use the editors that come with other applications such as Eudora,
    > Mozilla, Note Tab. That all behave the same way, which leads me to
    > believe there is an editor API they are using.

    I would be very surprised to find any kind of common API in a collection
    of editors that diverse. Do all of these editors use the Insert key to
    put the editor into insert mode? Not all editors do -- some don't even
    have an overwrite mode. Some may use ald ALT or CTRL key combination.

    If they do all use the Insert key for that function, I'd suspect
    inadvertent keyboard remapping or keyboard malfunction.

    > There appears to be some particular keystroke combination which
    > includes backspaces that causes the editor to go into INS mode. I know
    > there are other hidden editor changes that are invoked by keystrokes I
    > make in error. I once buggered the editor so badly I had to reboot.

    Is your keyboard programmable? Matbe one of those peculair sequences is
    altering its behavior.

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:30:46 -0700, Gary Smith <bitbucket@example.com>
    wrote:

    >I would be very surprised to find any kind of common API in a collection
    >of editors that diverse.

    They all behave the same which tells me that they are made of common
    elements.

    >Do all of these editors use the Insert key to
    >put the editor into insert mode?

    Yes.

    >If they do all use the Insert key for that function, I'd suspect
    >inadvertent keyboard remapping or keyboard malfunction.

    It could be - I am running a long extension cord for the KB.

    >Is your keyboard programmable? Matbe one of those peculair sequences is
    >altering its behavior.

    Keytronics 104. Probably the most widely used KB in existence.

    I could be jamming the line to the computer, but why always INS
    toggle?

    Oh well, this will remain one of those mysteries we are accustomed to
    with Windows.

    Thanks for your help.

    --

    Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable
    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Sweet Ol' Bob (SOB) <sob@sob.com> wrote:
    > Keytronics 104. Probably the most widely used KB in existence.

    > I could be jamming the line to the computer, but why always INS
    > toggle?

    > Oh well, this will remain one of those mysteries we are accustomed to
    > with Windows.

    > Thanks for your help.

    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I'm out of ideas.

    --
    Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    Columbus, Ohio
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I was going through all the responses and wondered if
    you got the solutions before I got to the last post.

    Open any folder window and go to "tools" "folder options".
    Use the "file types" tab. There's your associations like
    the older versions of windows had.

    Now, winamp also has its own menu option under its preferences.
    It has a listing of the file types it knows and all
    you have to do is select the ones you want winamp to
    own and hit restore. Done.

    Windows Media player also has the same function to
    owning program associations although the only time
    I ever remember seeing it is during an install, and not
    all versions offer it. And, lol not all versions
    respect your choice and they end up associating what
    they want with what THEY want you to use.

    for icon cosmetics, icons (or actually their data) can
    either stand alone in their own file or be included as
    part of another. When you pick an icon, go choose any
    windows executable file and choose any icon you want
    from that file. Try shell.dll or user.dll. This reminds
    me of that game "inner space" where it loaded all the icons
    from all your files and directories and used them as
    the graphics for the enemy ships so you can shoot them.

    Oh and watch out for the wildcard. At times, all versions
    of windows will choke and display random icons on your screen
    in place of the real associated ones. Its only a visual bug
    as icons are only a visual and non functional thing. A reboot
    fixes that.

    Good luck
    Yimmy DA Tulip

    --
    If I had a sig, you'd be reading it by now... and now.

    "Gary Smith" wrote:

    > Sweet Ol' Bob (SOB) <sob@sob.com> wrote:
    > > Keytronics 104. Probably the most widely used KB in existence.
    >
    > > I could be jamming the line to the computer, but why always INS
    > > toggle?
    >
    > > Oh well, this will remain one of those mysteries we are accustomed to
    > > with Windows.
    >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I'm out of ideas.
    >
    > --
    > Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
    > Columbus, Ohio

Microsoft File Type Windows