Homebuild: Any unforseen issues?

euclid223

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Hey all,
I'm just about to put a new PC together for myself, which I haven't had to do for about 5 years so I'm understandably a little rusty.

I've come up with the specs below for the main components and just wondered if I've made any major mistakes in terms of compatability or poor quality stuff?

motherboard - Torn between an MSI 965 Platinum and an Abit AB9-Pro

cpu - Core 2 Duo E6400

ram - 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance

graphics - Geforce 8800 GTS (aint looked at a specific vendor / card yet.. any advice on this one would be much appreciated :))

case - Antec nine hundred

psu - thermaltake 750W (like the sound of modular wiring ;-) )

Thanks for having a look at this guys and any help / advice is very welcome

Cheers

Dave

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
is there a need for a 750W psu? bfg, evga, and xfx are good vendors for gpu's. as mobo, both are good boards. tom's had an article comparing both link

euclid223

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
ummm... on the PSU... I wasn't sure what was the correct amount... so I just figured more is more :D what sort of power rating should I be going for instead?

thanks for the pointer on the gpu vendors :)

And I think with the boards I'll just have a second look at the features :)

Thanks for the prompt reply also

Cheers

Dave

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
something along the lines of about 600w should be plenty, this one link
since you like modular wiring, but there are others as well. check this list link
tier 2 is what you want to look at.

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Yeah, 750W is overkill unless you're planning to do a ton of overclocking and run two high-end video cards in SLI. 500-600 would be ideal for that system, as long as you buy a high-quality PSU (mostly depends on which brand you choose).

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Why Patriot? I'm not sure I've heard too much good about their line of memory.

And let us know how that modular wiring works out for you... most people I've asked have said it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I'm TERRIBLE at cable management and that was something I was considering as a requirement for my next PSU.

euclid223

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
The particular patriot chips I was gonna get are based this article and are part number PDC22G6400LLK.

As for the PSU. My cables have always ended up looking like a pile of spaghetti in the past, so in this instance I'm figuring less is more :D

euclid223

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Just placed eveything on order. Ended up going for the Antec P180B case wise though and an Antec 550W modular power supply.

Feel a little sick after spending all that money ;-)

*crosses fingers all goes well*

Thanks for the help and advice guys :D