Windows NT to 2003 Changeover Questions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 14, 2005 11:04:05 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to jump our network from NT to Win 2003. Most of the
materials I have read talk about upgrading the server software on the same
machine. I'm running an old server that a) wouldn't probably run 2003, and
b) I wouldn't want to try and run 2003 on. So I've been prepping a wholly
new machine to be the 2003 server. In many ways I'm using this as a chance
to clean up groups and users, so I'm not so worried about migrating the user
database since I'll probably create it anew (though if there is a way, it
might be useful). I've already got a 2003 machine on the NT network doing
WINS and DHCP. The NT PDC is only being used for authentication.

Changing over seems almost too straightforward and I'm afraid I'm missing a
potential pitfall that I won't see until I'm working on the changeover on a
Saturday afternoon. Is there anything in particular that people have found
that I should be keeping an eye on, or better yet prepping ahead of time?
It's my intention to change to a 2003 PDC, and get rid of the NT PDC. I'll
then have one remaining NT server that is going to be upgraded soon after
this project, and a 2000 server (which I do not intend on upgrading at this
time). We're running a simple network in one building of about 100 uesers,
so I'm not going to need fancy Active Directory trees or such.

Any advice or warnings is greatly appreciated. Forewarned is forearmed.

J.J. Kwashnak
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:22:52 PM

The one determining factor as to whether your plan will work or not depends
on the details on how you plan to do this:
> It's my intention to change to a 2003 PDC, and get rid of the NT PDC.

What are the exact steps you plan to take to do this?

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

!