Nvidia 8900 Series

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
If history must repeat itself, the 8600GT will be a massive hit and ATI won't have anything worthy against it. But I hope ATI can learn from their mistakes.

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Nvidia seems well poised to respond to ATI

Ya, but if you beleive the specs on those charts then Nvidia will really have nothing to match X2900XTX 1024mb, not even their 8950gx2. Supposedly Nvidia wont even have a 1024mb single card solution nore 512-bit, am I right? On top of that, The X2900XTX is also rumored to have slightly faster clock speeds then even the 8900gtx nevermind the gx2. So if those charts circling around turn out to be true, Nvidia wont really be "poised" to respond agressively enough. Cant wait to see actual benchmarks though.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Didn't that TweakTown article already get debunked or am I confusing it with something else?
On another forum, I had a guy state that Nvidia is skipping 89** totally and going on to G90/9*** series cores soon. However, I have seen no links/articles/proof. I'm open to suggestion here.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Ya, but if you beleive the specs on those charts then Nvidia will really have nothing to match X2900XTX 1024mb, not even their 8950gx2. Supposedly Nvidia wont even have a 1024mb single card solution nore 512-bit, am I right? On top of that, The X2900XTX is also rumored to have slightly faster clock speeds then even the 8900gtx nevermind the gx2. So if those charts circling around turn out to be true, Nvidia wont really be "poised" to respond agressively enough. Cant wait to see actual benchmarks though.You're sounding very optimistic, even though they've yet to get the product to market, or even demo it anywhere.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
You're sounding very optimistic, even though they've yet to get the product to market, or even demo it anywhere.

Good point and a little of what I was illustrating. I am certainly not bashing AMD/ATI as I certainly hope they come out with a very competitive offering SOON. Competition is good for the consumer. It is not a good sign at all that AMD/ATI chose not to have a demo for R600 cards at CEBIT. If there are not suitable cards ready by now, it does not bode well for them. Nvidia has had the 88** on the market for several months now and appears to have 89** or even the rumored G90/9*** cards in the works to reply when AMD/ATI releases. ATI has been playing from behind for quite a while now. They need to even the score.

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
You're sounding very optimistic, even though they've yet to get the product to market, or even demo it anywhere.

All Im saying is if you beleive the spec sheets then nvidia doesnt look poised enough IMO.

Compare the X2800XTX 1024 with the 8900 GTX and its disapointing IMO.
R600%20info.jpg

news_newg80specs01.gif

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
lets not forget it was only the midranged 6600 and 6800 series that nvidia really help a large crown.

before that NV didnt have an answer for the 9xxx and its basically a toss up between ATI & NV's midrange. There's very litte history imo.

It ATI, then NV now split so its time for one company to shine. However I feel you may be somewhat accurate. The canadians are focused on getting their high end out and charging...

This gives time for Nv to finalizing and market a solid midranged lineup.

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Weel Nvidia actually has their cards on the market and not AMD/ATI. We can suppose all we want but the fact is Nvidia leads right now. And also I am more likely to believe Nvidia has the 89xx done or close to being ready than AMD/ATI releasing new gfx cards anytime soon 'cause usually when a product gets delayed over and over, as the case with r600, once it actually comes out it's either too late as the market as better offerings, or the product is so lame nobody will buy it. Nvidia has learned its lesson with the 5xxx family. My opinion is it's ATI's turn now. And please don't brand me a fanboy as I had cards from both manufacturers in recent years.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Weel Nvidia actually has their cards on the market and not AMD/ATI.

What does that have to do with anything??

We can suppose all we want but the fact is Nvidia leads right now.

Performance yes. Sales....about even past few quarters.

And this is where the retardation comes to light

And also I am more likely to believe Nvidia has the 89xx done or close to being ready than AMD/ATI releasing new gfx cards anytime soon 'cause usually when a product gets delayed over and over, as the case with r600, once it actually comes out it's either too late as the market as better offerings, or the product is so lame nobody will buy it.

The final offering of the R600 was tapped out and completed quite some time ago. Trust me, if ATI wanted to ship the R600, they could.... might not have been the hardest launch (then again the 8800 wasnt either)
but it could have been done. The fact remains is the timing, they (ATI) realese cards when the surrounding environment is ready as well. 8800 is an excellent performer, but it was modeled around the "Next Gen" that Gen being DX10. I dont see any games supporting that yet, nor do I see Nv drivers not having problems with Vista. Nv pushed out a GPU early to boost sales, I'm still convinced because they have a great idea how sizably the R600 will kill the G80.

We KNOW the R600 is real, we know that the 8900 is something that is GOING to manafest in the coming time....but nothing is completely concrete right now. Nv could delay the whole thing for a refresh 6 months later.... we know ATI's move...realese their new series, but we dont have solid evidence on damn that that the guys in green might do.

And please don't brand me a fanboy as I had cards from both manufacturers in recent years.

That doesnt mean anything, I had/still have GPU's from 4 manufactorers.
Aside from the performance of the 8800 series, my perference/ slight fanboyishness is towards ATI. I like what they offer for the price, performance and tinkering. Owning certain cards doesnt mean anything.

Brand you a fanboy....maybe not..... an idiot....maybe yes

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
thx for the idiot remark .... been a while since someone's been this nice to me .... wow what a wake up call ... to think I could have gone on with my life without ever knowing this !!!!! ..... you my friend are the perfect example of why these forums are less and less visited by poeple who actually have something to say in regards COMPUTERS ! So keep your insults to yourself and if you wanna have an intelligent debate I am your man but if you are only out to flame well find another playpal 'cause I will not even give you the satisfaction of insulting you back (people with an iq over 140, wich is obviously not your case, will understand why and the other flamers in here will not get it)

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Ya, but if you beleive the specs on those charts then Nvidia will really have nothing to match X2900XTX 1024mb, not even their 8950gx2. Supposedly Nvidia wont even have a 1024mb single card solution nore 512-bit, am I right? On top of that, The X2900XTX is also rumored to have slightly faster clock speeds then even the 8900gtx nevermind the gx2. So if those charts circling around turn out to be true, Nvidia wont really be "poised" to respond agressively enough. Cant wait to see actual benchmarks though.

dude, rumors, speculations...., how sad, do wait for the real benchmarks, until then, stop it...., its just sad, and just to say I'm fair, I don't believe those charts either, I can make charts just like that in excel also.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
...And also I am more likely to believe Nvidia has the 89xx done or close to being ready than AMD/ATI releasing new gfx cards anytime soon 'cause usually when a product gets delayed over and over, as the case with r600, once it actually comes out it's either too late as the market as better offerings, or the product is so lame nobody will buy it. Nvidia has learned its lesson with the 5xxx family. My opinion is it's ATI's turn now...

I fear the same type of thing. ATI may have to come out soon, and AMD may release it before it is 100% ready for market. Hopefully I'm wrong, and ATI surprises everyone with an awesome card that nvidia has to play catchup with. Competition drives innovation.

I am glad that they at least delayed it until may rather than releasing a repeat of the GeForce FX5800 Ultra "dustbuster", better late and working than on-time and crappy. I hope AMD will not forget what happened when nvidia responded too early...

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
not really sure if "too early" is really the operative word there. It takes years to design, spec, sample, test, and build a chip. By the time it is close to market there is very little that can be done to change what it is. When the 9700 came out Nv could do little to change their later to market 5800. Yes, it was lame on dx9 but great on dx8. When they designed it they may have figured that dx9 performance was not going to shine until the later revs... so from the start they designed it as a dx9 chip in name only... dx8 perf was what they wanted. ATI went differently and won, but it was from inception and not any last-minute changes on both sides. (all speculation, but it fits)

b/c we have yet to see any dx10 marks we won't know what their design plans were for the 8800. They may have made a similar decision and said "dx9 is king, dx10 can get better with later revs"... and if that is true then in this case it seems to have worked out. Big difference is that the fx had to show chops on dx9 right away, and the 8800 has yet to be forced into dx10. If the fx did not have to deal with dx9 except in specs only then we would be thinking much different of them than we are now.

The ati part is a wild-card only in that we dont know how it does on dx9 like we do the 8800. NEITHER card can show what dx10 will do and that will ultimately determine any similarities with the fx/9700 fight.

JMO of course.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Well, it seems ATI really needs some engineering help from AMD.
huh? Late != a need for engineering help. Maybe marketing or PR help on release dates, but not engineering.

Crossfire = Late and bad
:roll: too many ppl dump on crossfire... yet provide no proof on how it is "bad". In many/most cases it outperforms sli in performance and quality.

RD600 = Late and bad
It did not win top performance, but certainly was not the bottom either. How is that "bad"?

R600 = Late and who knows.....
ya, sure.

you see to jump on what you say are "bad" engineering and yet fail to see anything else. First you point out only 3 bad things. (forgetting for the moment that none of them are really bad at all, crossfire being the opposite in fact) and then you fail to say anything about what they have done well. On top of that how many "bad" things has Nv done? If you really look you would see some equality there.

Regardless, take your fanboyism somewhere else.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
This is not fan boy stuff so lay off. I simply started a discussion. As far as what ATI has done, the info is about what ATI has done lately, which is not much. As far engineering help, ATI has been late with several launches lately so, in a positive way, I hope they get some good assistance from whatever they gain from the association with AMD. I'm not bashing ATI, you need to get whatever chip it is off your shoulder.

I hope ATI and AMD, and in the area of CPUs, GPUs, and chipsets, do very well. Competition is good for the consumer and none of us will benefit from an Nvidia + Intel dominated world. But, the RD600 chipset is not the answer and is likely EOL soon if not already. And you have probably noticed that DFI (who may soon be totally out of the enthusiast MOBO business) is the only MOBO maker that chose to build on the RD600 chipset and look how late that chipset and board was. And, the performance did not live up to the hype. So, too late too little = bad when products go EOL so quickly these days.

And, while we are at it, I initially said Nvidia appears to be poised well to respond. They may or may not retain the performance crown but, they ARE ready to respond and on time, if not ahead of schedule.

So, I'm not a fan boy. You need to stop trying to be some cute little neighborhood enforcer. As I said, this is simply a discussion.

Periander

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
And this is where the retardation comes to light

The only retards around here are the ones that are buying DAMMIT's lies about why they delayed the R600 yet again. They've shown they have functioning cards, if they had good news on the benchmarks they would put it out there so that people would hold off on their 8800 purchases and wait for them come out. Instead they decided not to, which can only mean that the hope and hype already out there was and is superior to the reality of the R600s performance. No other explanation makes a bit of sense. No other explanation is true.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
hey man, what you said smacked of just normal "company X sucks and company Y rules" stuff and I called it that way. Sorry if you did not intend that and I read it wrong. I just get burned out by ppl running bogus claims like "ati puts out crappy drivers" or "Nv still makes crap cards like the FX" when they both clearly make mistakes and yet still stay in the heat of competition. Discussion is cool though... If that is what you intend then no harm, no foul. :)

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
:roll: too many ppl dump on crossfire... yet provide no proof on how it is "bad". In many/most cases it outperforms sli in performance and quality.

Actually this is the opposite from I usually hear regarding SLI vs Crossfire. Do you care to share any links just for reference?

SLI has had more time to mature so I could have sworn it was the better way to go for a 2 card setup.

Just look at the vga charts here on Tom's for a good start. Other sites like Firingsquad or the [H] also show both dual card setups being very competitive with crossfire winning more than not. (8800 setups notwithstanding)

Honestly, crossfire had a rocky start but stabilized fine with the x1k gen cards. The only legit argument in favor of sli would be the need for a master card, but that does not say performance is worse but just that you need a "special" card. Performance was still competitive with sli. This of course is moot now as the master card is getting phased out in current gen crossfire.

I am not a fan of ANY dual setup, but just think it is lame to say Nv is better than ati on this when the benchmarks clearly show that is not true. (not asking for flames here, just pointing this out)

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

Good point and a little of what I was illustrating. I am certainly not bashing AMD/ATI as I certainly hope they come out with a very competitive offering SOON. Competition is good for the consumer. It is not a good sign at all that AMD/ATI chose not to have a demo for R600 cards at CEBIT. If there are not suitable cards ready by now, it does not bode well for them. Nvidia has had the 88** on the market for several months now and appears to have 89** or even the rumored G90/9*** cards in the works to reply when AMD/ATI releases. ATI has been playing from behind for quite a while now. They need to even the score.

It's all good man, I reacted harshly also but, I tried to clarify early that I was pulling ATI to do well. Read above. I'm a best bang per buck kind of guy personally as a consumer so, I buy what works best. And, the bulk of people that I know who have tried Crossfire hate it so, I am basing that on experience from people I trust yet, not personal experience. I have not and will not try it unless I get 2 cards from work for testing purposes.

It should be very interesting for sure. And, my point about the engineering help is that I hope AMD can help ATI start meeting these release dates so that we get more competition over both markets, chipsets and GPUs. Until then, the best offerings by far between Nvidia vs ATI is Nvidia in both catagories.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
It's all good man, I reacted harshly also but, I tried to clarify early that I was pulling ATI to do well. Read above. I'm a best bang per buck kind of guy personally as a consumer so, I buy what works best. And, the bulk of people that I know who have tried Crossfire hate it so, I am basing that on experience from people I trust yet, not personal experience. I have not and will not try it unless I get 2 cards from work for testing purposes.
If you are a bang for buck guy, then ANY dual card setup is not for you. The "best gaming cards for the money" article each month here shows that clear enough. I still asked if you had proof that we all can see (not just a "this guy I know said so" kinda thing) about how crossfire is bad. If these people that you know have tried it and hate it, why? What was bad? I am honestly curious to know what the reasoning is... Do you have any links for current reviews that show crossfire being "bad"?