Expanding a Windows 2000 Partition

We currently have a windows 2000 server that has had a variety of partitions
setup on the primary hard disk. Over time the amount of data stored in the
user partition has been growing and basically the partition I use to store
all the users personal data has now filled up. I have enough space on the
drive to expand it to about double its size but I can not seem to work out
how to do it.

The only way I can see that I can do it is to move all the data off to
another drive. delete the partition and then recreate it. I am not sure what
it will do with all the permissions that are associated with the user
directories however.

I woudl really appreciate any help possible on this one. Thanks!!

"Michael Boyd" <MichaelBoyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We currently have a windows 2000 server that has had a variety of
partitions
> setup on the primary hard disk. Over time the amount of data stored in the
> user partition has been growing and basically the partition I use to store
> all the users personal data has now filled up. I have enough space on the
> drive to expand it to about double its size but I can not seem to work out
> how to do it.
>
> The only way I can see that I can do it is to move all the data off to
> another drive. delete the partition and then recreate it. I am not sure
what
> it will do with all the permissions that are associated with the user
> directories however.
>
> I woudl really appreciate any help possible on this one. Thanks!!

Your approach will work if you use xcopy.exe with the appropriate
switches. Type xcopy /? at the Command Prompt to see what they are.

You can also use a partition manager, e.g. the one from Acronis. Make
sure it will run on a server before you buy it.