p2p killing internet connection

maxinvictus

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I just setup a home network with a netgear wtg624 router. Everything is running well more or less but I have a really frustrating problem. Whenever I'm download from the pc with a wired connection to the router, my p2p apps would kill off my internet connection but the apps would still run. The activity could be a trickle and even if I shutdown the apps, it doesn't restore the connection. The only fix is to reboot. I have tries the forums for the related apps but the suggested "fixes" didn't really help. Can anyone help me with this prob? Thanks in advance.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Most all BT (P2P) will consume all of your bandwidth unless you set them up to only use a set amount. BT is not recommended to be run over wireless.

clintb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Most all BT (P2P) will consume all of your bandwidth unless you set them up to only use a set amount. BT is not recommended to be run over wireless.
Not to mention most BT clients will open up more connections than your router can handle. I've seen reports that many routers will only handle around 30 or so. The D-Link 4300 gaming router will handle up to 180 and so will the new DIR-655.