Drive Image , Recovery, again

Reviving our discussions of a few months back,
Crusty Old B., I've been following your directions
strictly, and they work fine, as you predicted,
most times. Now and again I get to a case where
I've done everything correctly, and in starting up the
"Recovered" drive, it hangs in BIOS, does not boot
past the "Boot from CD"....I've repeated it to make
sure, even doing defrag and chkdsk/r twice on the
"Recovered" drive, and it still hangs somewhere
in the boot-up. The BIOS has already said that it
is past the "Boot from Floppy", and it knows there's
no CD, and it's trying to find the right stuff in
HDD-0 and it isn't there. What's the next step?
--
William B. Lurie
27 answers Last reply

    A created image MUST be restored to the same relative position on the hard
    drive. That is, if the image was created of drive 0, partition 0 - it must
    be restored to the same drive and partition. If it is not, it won't boot!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > A created image MUST be restored to the same relative position on the hard
    > drive. That is, if the image was created of drive 0, partition 0 - it must
    > be restored to the same drive and partition. If it is not, it won't boot!

    Oh, I didn't know that!!! That's a vital piece of information
    I must have missed a couple of months ago. I'll try doing
    exactly that, to see if my problem goes away. Thank
    you, C.O.B.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > A created image MUST be restored to the same relative position on the hard
    > drive. That is, if the image was created of drive 0, partition 0 - it must
    > be restored to the same drive and partition. If it is not, it won't boot!

    Dear Crus:
    Master Drive is HDD-0.....I made Drive Image and saved it
    to HDD-1, but NOT position-0.... On HDD-1, Position 0 is
    Unallocated, Large enough, Primary. That's the start of
    what becomes in service my Slave drive.

    Now I powered down, removed Master Drive, Jumpered the
    Slave Drive to be Master or Single, as WD labels it, and
    alone on the system, placed on the IDE cable in Master
    Position. Ran PQRE, telling it to Restore from the Drive
    Image, to the #0 position. I followed all other instructions,
    no MBR, etcetera, plus Make Drive Active and Reboot. It
    ran fine, and started to reboot.......and hung after BIOS,
    at last stage (Boot from Disk) as described before.

    If you have no corrections to make to my procedure, and
    no advice as to what else I can do......I will repeat
    the entire procedure on a different hard drive in Slave
    position. Maybe something is bad about this drive.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    If position 0 on HDD1 is unallocated, try formatting it..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Richard Urban wrote:
    >> A created image MUST be restored to the same relative position on the
    >> hard drive. That is, if the image was created of drive 0, partition 0 -
    >> it must be restored to the same drive and partition. If it is not, it
    >> won't boot!
    >>
    > Dear Crus: Master Drive is HDD-0.....I made Drive Image and saved it
    > to HDD-1, but NOT position-0.... On HDD-1, Position 0 is
    > Unallocated, Large enough, Primary. That's the start of
    > what becomes in service my Slave drive.
    >
    > Now I powered down, removed Master Drive, Jumpered the
    > Slave Drive to be Master or Single, as WD labels it, and
    > alone on the system, placed on the IDE cable in Master
    > Position. Ran PQRE, telling it to Restore from the Drive
    > Image, to the #0 position. I followed all other instructions,
    > no MBR, etcetera, plus Make Drive Active and Reboot. It
    > ran fine, and started to reboot.......and hung after BIOS,
    > at last stage (Boot from Disk) as described before.
    >
    > If you have no corrections to make to my procedure, and
    > no advice as to what else I can do......I will repeat
    > the entire procedure on a different hard drive in Slave
    > position. Maybe something is bad about this drive.
    >
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    In article <OCSyhYXLFHA.2120@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org,
    says...

    > Richard Urban wrote:
    > > A created image MUST be restored to the same relative position on the hard
    > > drive. That is, if the image was created of drive 0, partition 0 - it must
    > > be restored to the same drive and partition. If it is not, it won't boot!
    > >

    > Dear Crus:
    > Master Drive is HDD-0.....I made Drive Image and saved it
    > to HDD-1, but NOT position-0.... On HDD-1, Position 0 is
    > Unallocated, Large enough, Primary. That's the start of
    > what becomes in service my Slave drive.

    Are you doing a disk to disk copy????...."Saved to HDD-1, but NOT
    position 0?????" Nothing wrong with that. An image *file* can be store
    anywhere on HD's except the OS space.

    This is where it's confusing for me with the start of your description
    from your first post. As was said you *CANNOT* restore an image of an OS
    that was made from one position on a HD and expect it to work an an
    alternate position on a partition position, let alone a *totally*
    different HD unless it's *restored* to its exact position.
    You can put an *image* file in bumhoots arizona, it can be restored from
    anywhere as long as it's back to its *original* position.

    > Now I powered down, removed Master Drive, Jumpered the
    > Slave Drive to be Master or Single, as WD labels it, and
    > alone on the system, placed on the IDE cable in Master
    > Position. Ran PQRE, telling it to Restore from the Drive
    > Image, to the #0 position. I followed all other instructions,
    > no MBR, etcetera, plus Make Drive Active and Reboot. It
    > ran fine, and started to reboot.......and hung after BIOS,
    > at last stage (Boot from Disk) as described before.

    It did not run fine it hung.......Let me get this straight? You removed
    your "Primary" IDE drive, replaced it with another.....Where did you
    "Restore From The Drive Image????" as you stated. Is there another
    partition on that drive with the image file????

    > If you have no corrections to make to my procedure, and
    > no advice as to what else I can do......I will repeat
    > the entire procedure on a different hard drive in Slave
    > position. Maybe something is bad about this drive.

    From what I gather you will be going around in circles for no reason. I
    think, from what I gather, is the image you are trying to restore was
    made from a different position partition OS and you are refusing to
    understand that *IT* won't work unless it's goes back to the same
    partition#/position...............
    It has nothing to do with the software you are using.....

    Unless you can give a better description, as I find your description of
    your situation a little confusing, I may understand a little better &
    give you a hand............

    Here is how I do it.

    1. Drive 0, partition 0 = operating system (in my case 20 gig)

    2. Create an image (not copy) of the above and save it anywhere you want

    3. Put in a correctly jumpered new drive with sufficient unallocated space
    at the very beginning to equal "more" than the original 20 gig - usually a
    clean, unpartitioned, unformatted drive.

    4. Using PQRE, browse to the image created in step 2 above.

    5. Choose the unallocated area in the new drive as receptor area.

    6. Start the restore. When the restore is done, and before you exit Drive
    Image, use the utility of the PQRE to look at your new drive. Is the new
    partition active? If not, make it so. The drive is now bootable.

    Note that I didn't partition or format the receptor area - there is NO need
    to. If the original operating system partition was an active, primary DOS
    partition, the restored image will be an active, primary DOS partition, an
    exact replica of what you originally had. The only criteria is that it MUST
    be in the same relative position as the original system partition that you
    copied.

    Sometimes, for a new person, it is good to boot up the computer with the
    Partition Magic floppies so you can look at your drive structure BEFORE you
    do things. When you are done with the imaging, do the same with Partition
    Magic. Are the 2 affected area exactly the same? They should be.

    I have worked with a fellow from South Africa for 5 months. I just finished
    with him last weekend. He had an unformatted partition of 5 meg as drive 0,
    partition 0. He thought it was so small that it "wouldn't matter". Whenever
    he restored his image to the drive, an image "created" from drive 0,
    partition 0 (on another physical drive), the new drive wouldn't boot. It
    was, in fact, now drive 0, partition 1. Yes, it took him that long to
    mention this significant bit of information to me.

    Man, it's all in the details!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Richard Urban wrote:
    >> A created image MUST be restored to the same relative position on the
    >> hard drive. That is, if the image was created of drive 0, partition 0 -
    >> it must be restored to the same drive and partition. If it is not, it
    >> won't boot!
    >>
    > Dear Crus: Master Drive is HDD-0.....I made Drive Image and saved it
    > to HDD-1, but NOT position-0.... On HDD-1, Position 0 is
    > Unallocated, Large enough, Primary. That's the start of
    > what becomes in service my Slave drive.
    >
    > Now I powered down, removed Master Drive, Jumpered the
    > Slave Drive to be Master or Single, as WD labels it, and
    > alone on the system, placed on the IDE cable in Master
    > Position. Ran PQRE, telling it to Restore from the Drive
    > Image, to the #0 position. I followed all other instructions,
    > no MBR, etcetera, plus Make Drive Active and Reboot. It
    > ran fine, and started to reboot.......and hung after BIOS,
    > at last stage (Boot from Disk) as described before.
    >
    > If you have no corrections to make to my procedure, and
    > no advice as to what else I can do......I will repeat
    > the entire procedure on a different hard drive in Slave
    > position. Maybe something is bad about this drive.
    >
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    Don't have any solutions but the problems you are having is one of the
    reasons I switched to Ghost and yes I know that Symantics bought out
    PowerQuest. I use Ghost 2003, boot from floppy when I make or restore my
    images. I typically image to my slave drive but have also imaged to dvd.
    With DI I was never able to successfully image to cd or dvd, with Ghost I've
    never had a failure, either on the image creation or restoration. Just
    never got comfortable with using DI7 to image while in windows and just
    don't see any advantage to it.

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    Reviving our discussions of a few months back,
    Crusty Old B., I've been following your directions
    strictly, and they work fine, as you predicted,
    most times. Now and again I get to a case where
    I've done everything correctly, and in starting up the
    "Recovered" drive, it hangs in BIOS, does not boot
    past the "Boot from CD"....I've repeated it to make
    sure, even doing defrag and chkdsk/r twice on the
    "Recovered" drive, and it still hangs somewhere
    in the boot-up. The BIOS has already said that it
    is past the "Boot from Floppy", and it knows there's
    no CD, and it's trying to find the right stuff in
    HDD-0 and it isn't there. What's the next step?
    --
    William B. Lurie

    Thanks, Inky.....I've given serious thought to trying Ghost 2003....
    My NSW 2005 didn't come with Ghost, but it's really cheap to add.
    I'm going to get a copy and try it out.

    BR549 wrote:
    > Don't have any solutions but the problems you are having is one of the
    > reasons I switched to Ghost and yes I know that Symantics bought out
    > PowerQuest. I use Ghost 2003, boot from floppy when I make or restore my
    > images. I typically image to my slave drive but have also imaged to dvd.
    > With DI I was never able to successfully image to cd or dvd, with Ghost I've
    > never had a failure, either on the image creation or restoration. Just
    > never got comfortable with using DI7 to image while in windows and just
    > don't see any advantage to it.
    >
    > <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Reviving our discussions of a few months back,
    > Crusty Old B., I've been following your directions
    > strictly, and they work fine, as you predicted,
    > most times. Now and again I get to a case where
    > I've done everything correctly, and in starting up the
    > "Recovered" drive, it hangs in BIOS, does not boot
    > past the "Boot from CD"....I've repeated it to make
    > sure, even doing defrag and chkdsk/r twice on the
    > "Recovered" drive, and it still hangs somewhere
    > in the boot-up. The BIOS has already said that it
    > is past the "Boot from Floppy", and it knows there's
    > no CD, and it's trying to find the right stuff in
    > HDD-0 and it isn't there. What's the next step?

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Bill I use drive image and regularly image my Windows XP Pro partition from
    drive 0 (i have 4 operating systems on drive 0) to my slave drive drive1
    without any issue. However what i normally do, as has already been stated,
    is copy the image back to the same partition but, and this is important, i
    simply allow drive image to overwrite the files rather than reformatting.
    The problem with reformatting is that, in most cases, you forget to set the
    drive as 'active' then when you come to boot up you cannot get into your
    system. This can easily be corrdcted if you have Partition Magic because you
    can use that to set the drive as active, but if you haven't got PM you have
    to remember to set the drive as active. It is, however, far simpler to
    simply overwrite the partition with the image.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Reviving our discussions of a few months back,
    > Crusty Old B., I've been following your directions
    > strictly, and they work fine, as you predicted,
    > most times. Now and again I get to a case where
    > I've done everything correctly, and in starting up the
    > "Recovered" drive, it hangs in BIOS, does not boot
    > past the "Boot from CD"....I've repeated it to make
    > sure, even doing defrag and chkdsk/r twice on the
    > "Recovered" drive, and it still hangs somewhere
    > in the boot-up. The BIOS has already said that it
    > is past the "Boot from Floppy", and it knows there's
    > no CD, and it's trying to find the right stuff in
    > HDD-0 and it isn't there. What's the next step?
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    A 98/ME bootdisk, using the FDISK utility will allow you to set an active
    partition also (if he has a floppy drive).

    John Barnett MVP wrote:

    > Bill I use drive image and regularly image my Windows XP Pro partition from
    > drive 0 (i have 4 operating systems on drive 0) to my slave drive drive1
    > without any issue. However what i normally do, as has already been stated,
    > is copy the image back to the same partition but, and this is important, i
    > simply allow drive image to overwrite the files rather than reformatting.
    > The problem with reformatting is that, in most cases, you forget to set the
    > drive as 'active' then when you come to boot up you cannot get into your
    > system. This can easily be corrdcted if you have Partition Magic because you
    > can use that to set the drive as active, but if you haven't got PM you have
    > to remember to set the drive as active. It is, however, far simpler to
    > simply overwrite the partition with the image.

    John, as I posted a little while ago, I don't have the need or desire to
    recreate the system in the same position on the same drive that the
    original OS was on. I do exactly what you do, with a few exceptions:
    1. I copy the image back to the same (first) partition but on a
    different hard drive.
    2. I follow Richard's advice and always copy it back to an unallocated
    area.
    I see no reason not to try copying to a partition with data in it
    which will be overwritten, other than Richard Urban's strong
    warning in his instructions a few months ago.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    In doing the Recovery, it asks about making the drive
    Active and I check that box. Sometimes it works,
    sometimes it doesn't, so it is a question of *why*
    does it work only sometimes.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    ByTor wrote:

    > In article <OCSyhYXLFHA.2120@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org,
    > says...
    >

    >>Richard Urban wrote:
    >>
    >>>A created image MUST be restored to the same relative position on the hard
    >>>drive. That is, if the image was created of drive 0, partition 0 - it must
    >>>be restored to the same drive and partition. If it is not, it won't boot!
    >>>

    >>Dear Crus:
    >>Master Drive is HDD-0.....I made Drive Image and saved it
    >>to HDD-1, but NOT position-0.... On HDD-1, Position 0 is
    >>Unallocated, Large enough, Primary. That's the start of
    >>what becomes in service my Slave drive.
    >

    > Are you doing a disk to disk copy????...."Saved to HDD-1, but NOT
    > position 0?????" Nothing wrong with that. An image *file* can be store
    > anywhere on HD's except the OS space.
    >
    > This is where it's confusing for me with the start of your description
    > from your first post. As was said you *CANNOT* restore an image of an OS
    > that was made from one position on a HD and expect it to work an an
    > alternate position on a partition position, let alone a *totally*
    > different HD unless it's *restored* to its exact position.
    > You can put an *image* file in bumhoots arizona, it can be restored from
    > anywhere as long as it's back to its *original* position.
    >

    >>Now I powered down, removed Master Drive, Jumpered the
    >>Slave Drive to be Master or Single, as WD labels it, and
    >>alone on the system, placed on the IDE cable in Master
    >>Position. Ran PQRE, telling it to Restore from the Drive
    >>Image, to the #0 position. I followed all other instructions,
    >>no MBR, etcetera, plus Make Drive Active and Reboot. It
    >>ran fine, and started to reboot.......and hung after BIOS,
    >>at last stage (Boot from Disk) as described before.
    >

    > It did not run fine it hung.......Let me get this straight? You removed
    > your "Primary" IDE drive, replaced it with another.....Where did you
    > "Restore From The Drive Image????" as you stated. Is there another
    > partition on that drive with the image file????
    >

    >>If you have no corrections to make to my procedure, and
    >>no advice as to what else I can do......I will repeat
    >>the entire procedure on a different hard drive in Slave
    >>position. Maybe something is bad about this drive.
    >

    > From what I gather you will be going around in circles for no reason. I
    > think, from what I gather, is the image you are trying to restore was
    > made from a different position partition OS and you are refusing to
    > understand that *IT* won't work unless it's goes back to the same
    > partition#/position...............
    > It has nothing to do with the software you are using.....
    >
    > Unless you can give a better description, as I find your description of
    > your situation a little confusing, I may understand a little better &
    > give you a hand............

    Dear "By"....
    I'm sure I described carefully, that what fails sometimes, has been
    done *exactly* as you said. Original source was in first position on its
    hard drive, and I have been finding that sometimes I am unable
    to get it to boot, when restored to the *first* position on another
    hard drive. Yes, the image can be anywhere, and yes, I always
    try to restore it to the same position it came from.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Thanks for your patience, Richard. I'll print out and study what
    you've said. I've been following your previous detailed
    instructions very carefully. I use Partition Magic all the
    time, almost constantly, to make sure that there is enough space, and
    that partitions are active and so on. What i was unaware of was that I
    could use any utility of PQRE to look at the restored OS to see
    that it is active. What I have been doing is using Partition Magic
    to look at the restored OS......I'd have thought that would be
    essentially the same thing.
    Bill... ole but uncrusty

    --
    William B. Lurie

    In article <#UMNXraLFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org,
    says...

> [...]
    > > made from a different position partition OS and you are refusing to
    > > understand that *IT* won't work unless it's goes back to the same
    > > partition#/position...............
    > > It has nothing to do with the software you are using.....
    > >
    > > Unless you can give a better description, as I find your description of
    > > your situation a little confusing, I may understand a little better &
    > > give you a hand............
    > >

    > Dear "By"....
    > I'm sure I described carefully, that what fails sometimes, has been
    > done *exactly* as you said. Original source was in first position on its
    > hard drive, and I have been finding that sometimes I am unable
    > to get it to boot, when restored to the *first* position on another
    > hard drive. Yes, the image can be anywhere, and yes, I always
    > try to restore it to the same position it came from.

    Is it possible that you may have mistakingly imaged your OS the first
    time in what you thought was a "Primary" partition??? When in fact it
    was a Logical & now you're trying to restore it to a Primary 1st
    position??? Or Vice/Verse???? Sometimes with PartitionMagic people do
    not look when they create their partitions and forget to look at the
    type when it is created....it always marks "logical" in the drop down by
    default.....

    Maybe a *blunt* question is in order.....Why don't you just put
    everything where you want it, create a new partition for your OS and do
    a clean install???? It appears that this thread is becoming cumbersome
    as many options are being explored......The guessing game grows tiresome
    after a bit......
    I'm not trying to be a Dick but obviously whatever is happening it's not
    working and racking your brain is a moot point.....
    But on an end note I have had experiences where images from lets say
    "Seagate" drives restored to Maxtors lets say gave me a helluva
    problem....And believe me when it comes to images/restores I have been
    there, done that, *QUITE* a bit..........

    Good Luck!

    I think you missed the point, By. What is required is to make an
    exact clone of a complete hard drive, on a second hard drive.
    Yes it is tiresome and cumbersome, with a many-person bulletin
    board for communicating.

    You bring up a point I hadn't thought of. Naively I expected
    that what works fine with all-Western Digital drives would work
    the same way with Seagate drives. Now you've added one more
    parameter to the process. I've done everything Richard Urban
    told me to, and it usually works, but fails too often to ignore. I'm
    convinced that I've followed his guaranteed processes exactly.....
    but now I'm going to see if it's the frive manufacture that's the
    snake in the grass. I'm going to try to pin that down before anybody
    hears from me again.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    In article <#VPffzbLFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org,
    says...

    > I think you missed the point, By. What is required is to make an
    > exact clone of a complete hard drive, on a second hard drive.
    > Yes it is tiresome and cumbersome, with a many-person bulletin
    > board for communicating.
    >
    > You bring up a point I hadn't thought of. Naively I expected
    > that what works fine with all-Western Digital drives would work
    > the same way with Seagate drives. Now you've added one more
    > parameter to the process. I've done everything Richard Urban
    > told me to, and it usually works, but fails too often to ignore. I'm
    > convinced that I've followed his guaranteed processes exactly.....
    > but now I'm going to see if it's the frive manufacture that's the
    > snake in the grass. I'm going to try to pin that down before anybody
    > hears from me again.

    Okay I agree, I merely was just making a point, you definitely have more
    patience than I do....... ;0)
    Sometimes reading all, and I do check *all* threaded responses, I guess
    gets a little confusing......You are correct, an exact clone really
    should not be a problem providing it is removed from the machine until
    needed, or when just merely switching drives, but it was a tad confusing
    as I thought you wanted 2 OS's at one time on a different
    drive.....Which in that case two Primaries wanting to be active at the
    same time will confuse *ANY* system without some sort of 3rd party
    software, plus cloning an OS that was Disk0 cannot be moved to Disk1 and
    expected to run in a dual boot(unless, again, the drive is removed and
    placed on the "Primary" IDE and the other OS is removed).........I
    believe anything beyond Disk0 has to be logical for an OS, I may be
    wrong as I have never done this before......My setup is 4 primaries on
    Disk0, each hidden from each other period! If I remove one it doesnt
    matter to me as all my images are restored to the exact
    position.........

    Anyway, I'm babbling, I'll apologize if I've thrown in any confusion and
    hope it works out for ya......
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    ByTor wrote:
    > In article <#VPffzbLFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org,
    > says...
    >

    >>I think you missed the point, By. What is required is to make an
    >>exact clone of a complete hard drive, on a second hard drive.
    >>Yes it is tiresome and cumbersome, with a many-person bulletin
    >>board for communicating.
    >>
    >>You bring up a point I hadn't thought of. Naively I expected
    >>that what works fine with all-Western Digital drives would work
    >>the same way with Seagate drives. Now you've added one more
    >>parameter to the process. I've done everything Richard Urban
    >>told me to, and it usually works, but fails too often to ignore. I'm
    >>convinced that I've followed his guaranteed processes exactly.....
    >>but now I'm going to see if it's the frive manufacture that's the
    >>snake in the grass. I'm going to try to pin that down before anybody
    >>hears from me again.
    >

    > Okay I agree, I merely was just making a point, you definitely have more
    > patience than I do....... ;0)
    > Sometimes reading all, and I do check *all* threaded responses, I guess
    > gets a little confusing......You are correct, an exact clone really
    > should not be a problem providing it is removed from the machine until
    > needed, or when just merely switching drives, but it was a tad confusing
    > as I thought you wanted 2 OS's at one time on a different
    > drive.....Which in that case two Primaries wanting to be active at the
    > same time will confuse *ANY* system without some sort of 3rd party
    > software, plus cloning an OS that was Disk0 cannot be moved to Disk1 and
    > expected to run in a dual boot(unless, again, the drive is removed and
    > placed on the "Primary" IDE and the other OS is removed).........I
    > believe anything beyond Disk0 has to be logical for an OS, I may be
    > wrong as I have never done this before......My setup is 4 primaries on
    > Disk0, each hidden from each other period! If I remove one it doesnt
    > matter to me as all my images are restored to the exact
    > position.........
    >
    > Anyway, I'm babbling, I'll apologize if I've thrown in any confusion and
    > hope it works out for ya......

    Not babbling, but explaining and making sense. Now the ball is in my
    court. I have Seagate drives and WD drives and I can and will make a
    conclusive test to prove or disprove the interchangeability matter.
    It takes a lot of time to do it, and record-keeping besides.

    --
    William B. Lurie
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    In article <ePBkShgLFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org,
    says...
    > ByTor wrote:
    > > In article <#VPffzbLFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org,
    > > says...
    > >

    > >>I think you missed the point, By. What is required is to make an
    > >>exact clone of a complete hard drive, on a second hard drive.
    > >>Yes it is tiresome and cumbersome, with a many-person bulletin
    > >>board for communicating.
    > >>
    > >>You bring up a point I hadn't thought of. Naively I expected
    > >>that what works fine with all-Western Digital drives would work
    > >>the same way with Seagate drives. Now you've added one more
    > >>parameter to the process. I've done everything Richard Urban
    > >>told me to, and it usually works, but fails too often to ignore. I'm
    > >>convinced that I've followed his guaranteed processes exactly.....
    > >>but now I'm going to see if it's the frive manufacture that's the
    > >>snake in the grass. I'm going to try to pin that down before anybody
    > >>hears from me again.
    > >

    > > Okay I agree, I merely was just making a point, you definitely have more
    > > patience than I do....... ;0)
    > > Sometimes reading all, and I do check *all* threaded responses, I guess
    > > gets a little confusing......You are correct, an exact clone really
    > > should not be a problem providing it is removed from the machine until
    > > needed, or when just merely switching drives, but it was a tad confusing
    > > as I thought you wanted 2 OS's at one time on a different
    > > drive.....Which in that case two Primaries wanting to be active at the
    > > same time will confuse *ANY* system without some sort of 3rd party
    > > software, plus cloning an OS that was Disk0 cannot be moved to Disk1 and
    > > expected to run in a dual boot(unless, again, the drive is removed and
    > > placed on the "Primary" IDE and the other OS is removed).........I
    > > believe anything beyond Disk0 has to be logical for an OS, I may be
    > > wrong as I have never done this before......My setup is 4 primaries on
    > > Disk0, each hidden from each other period! If I remove one it doesnt
    > > matter to me as all my images are restored to the exact
    > > position.........
    > >
    > > Anyway, I'm babbling, I'll apologize if I've thrown in any confusion and
    > > hope it works out for ya......
    > >

    > Not babbling, but explaining and making sense. Now the ball is in my
    > court. I have Seagate drives and WD drives and I can and will make a
    > conclusive test to prove or disprove the interchangeability matter.
    > It takes a lot of time to do it, and record-keeping besides.

    Great, I'd love to hear your results.....I've always had a sneaky
    suspicion about the mixes. I since turned to all WD's on all of my
    machines(I have 6 drives on this machine alone 1 being a Max) I first
    started with Maxtors & luckily I only have a few(6 machines)....They are
    all my OS drives on my Primary IDE slots and that's it nothing else
    touches them, I don't trust them any furthur......I have been
    successful, if I remember correctly as it was a rare occasion, that I
    was able to restore an image made on a Max to a WD..........Seagates,
    wellllll, I never bought any as I could not bring up the will to take
    them off the store shelf....too paranoid.... ;0)

    Please if ya can let me know how ya make out....

    Good Luck....
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Guys

    If you looked at some of the HDD forums, you wouldn't buy any make of
    drive.. they all have their moments..

    The danger, as always, is that somebody spreads info that may or may not be
    correct, that could probably be fixed quite easily, and what is written
    becomes 'lore' for evermore..

    I have seen all makes of drive fail.. much of it could be put down to
    quality control or lack of it.. sometimes it is a firmware problem, but that
    can be fixed.. and sometimes it is the user who constantly 'escapes' the
    chkdsk routine and ends up with a problem infested drive 'by choice'..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    In article <ONl$ZRiLFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca, Mike Hall (MS-MVP) says...

    > Guys
    >
    > If you looked at some of the HDD forums, you wouldn't buy any make of
    > drive.. they all have their moments..
    >
    > The danger, as always, is that somebody spreads info that may or may not be
    > correct, that could probably be fixed quite easily, and what is written
    > becomes 'lore' for evermore..
    >
    > I have seen all makes of drive fail.. much of it could be put down to
    > quality control or lack of it.. sometimes it is a firmware problem, but that
    > can be fixed.. and sometimes it is the user who constantly 'escapes' the
    > chkdsk routine and ends up with a problem infested drive 'by choice'..

    Not sure what you're driving at but if it's in regards to any of my
    comments you'll note that it is really all personal experience,
    preference & probabilities that something could be associated with a
    problem......If I know something for a fact than I'll quote
    it....Obviously troubleshooting involves some probabilities that may
    have never been recorded or "denied" for that matter...I had some
    experiences with some situations and I'll tell ya the solutions were
    "way out there" and they worked, go figure...........Anyway, I'm not
    sure your objective with your comment is in regard to anything
    particular I may have said but everything is not written in "stone" we
    do not live in a perfect world....especially the world of
    computing..........And I am very confident that in some aspects of
    computing I know what I'm doing................ ;0)
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    > ByTor wrote:
    >
    >> In article <#VPffzbLFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
    >> billurie@nospam.org, says...
    >>

    >>> I think you missed the point, By. What is required is to make an
    >>> exact clone of a complete hard drive, on a second hard drive.
    >>> Yes it is tiresome and cumbersome, with a many-person bulletin
    >>> board for communicating.
    >>>
    >>> You bring up a point I hadn't thought of. Naively I expected
    >>> that what works fine with all-Western Digital drives would work
    >>> the same way with Seagate drives. Now you've added one more
    >>> parameter to the process. I've done everything Richard Urban
    >>> told me to, and it usually works, but fails too often to ignore. I'm
    >>> convinced that I've followed his guaranteed processes exactly.....
    >>> but now I'm going to see if it's the frive manufacture that's the
    >>> snake in the grass. I'm going to try to pin that down before anybody
    >>> hears from me again.
    >>

    >> Okay I agree, I merely was just making a point, you definitely have
    >> more patience than I do....... ;0)
    >> Sometimes reading all, and I do check *all* threaded responses, I
    >> guess gets a little confusing......You are correct, an exact clone
    >> really should not be a problem providing it is removed from the
    >> machine until needed, or when just merely switching drives, but it was
    >> a tad confusing as I thought you wanted 2 OS's at one time on a
    >> different drive.....Which in that case two Primaries wanting to be
    >> active at the same time will confuse *ANY* system without some sort of
    >> 3rd party software, plus cloning an OS that was Disk0 cannot be moved
    >> to Disk1 and expected to run in a dual boot(unless, again, the drive
    >> is removed and placed on the "Primary" IDE and the other OS is
    >> removed).........I believe anything beyond Disk0 has to be logical for
    >> an OS, I may be wrong as I have never done this before......My setup
    >> is 4 primaries on Disk0, each hidden from each other period! If I
    >> remove one it doesnt matter to me as all my images are restored to the
    >> exact position.........
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm babbling, I'll apologize if I've thrown in any confusion
    >> and hope it works out for ya......
    >>

    > Not babbling, but explaining and making sense. Now the ball is in my
    > court. I have Seagate drives and WD drives and I can and will make a
    > conclusive test to prove or disprove the interchangeability matter.
    > It takes a lot of time to do it, and record-keeping besides.

    Continuing on the saga of the non-booting Recovered Drives.....
    I have two Seagate drives. One has a good working OS, which I'll call
    Master. Slave is used for storing Drive Images but I'd like to
    clone a Master onto it.....in large Unallocated Primary area which
    is the first item in the Partition Magic-generated list. Ran defrag
    and chkdsk on Master, comes out clean.

    I follow instructions carefully, make Drive Image of Master, save
    it on Slave Drive. Now I do nothing other than PQRE of the Drive
    Image, which is on Slave Drive, to the Unallocated space on that
    same Slave Drive. When finished, I go back to Master, run Partition
    Magic, verify that the new OS on Slave Drive appears to be just line
    the Master. Partition is first, it is Active and it is Primary.

    And it refuses to boot to the new OS. Hangs in the BIOS on "Boot
    from CD".....never gets to Windows at all. I am not ruling out that
    the Slave drive might be defective somehow. It is an 80 GB drive
    furnished direct by Seagate 2 years ago, as a replacement for the new
    one that came in this PC. Of course, it has an OEM label on it, so
    Seagate won't accept it back, and the OEM regards it as out of warranty.

    Unless you have something I can do with it from here, Richard, I
    suspect that I've done all that I can. I haven't proved anything about
    mix-and-match drive manufacturers, as I had hoped this last test
    would. What I've proved is that an all-Seagate Drive Image and PQRE
    can also not work.I can still use this Slave drive as a dead storage bin
    for Drive Images, and not try to make a working clone on it. But I
    sure would like to prove or disprove the theorems.

    Bill Lurie
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Bill you should direct your questions to Symantec as they have taken over
    Drive Image from Powerquest.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > In doing the Recovery, it asks about making the drive
    > Active and I check that box. Sometimes it works,
    > sometimes it doesn't, so it is a question of *why*
    > does it work only sometimes.
    >
    > Tom wrote:
    >
    > > A 98/ME bootdisk, using the FDISK utility will allow you to set an
    active
    > > partition also (if he has a floppy drive).
    > >
    > > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Bill I use drive image and regularly image my Windows XP Pro partition
    > >>from drive 0 (i have 4 operating systems on drive 0) to my slave drive
    > >>drive1 without any issue. However what i normally do, as has already
    been
    > >>stated, is copy the image back to the same partition but, and this is
    > >>important, i simply allow drive image to overwrite the files rather than
    > >>reformatting. The problem with reformatting is that, in most cases, you
    > >>forget to set the drive as 'active' then when you come to boot up you
    > >>cannot get into your system. This can easily be corrdcted if you have
    > >>Partition Magic because you can use that to set the drive as active, but
    > >>if you haven't got PM you have to remember to set the drive as active.
    It
    > >>is, however, far simpler to simply overwrite the partition with the
    image.

    > >>--
    > >>John Barnett MVP
    > >>Associate Expert
    > >>http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    > >>
    > >><billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

    > --
    > William B. Lurie
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Harry Ohrn wrote:
    > Bill you should direct your questions to Symantec as they have taken over
    > Drive Image from Powerquest.

    Been there, Harry. They're useless. I'll pass this latest one along to
    them, but it won't get any useful messages from them.
    Bill
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Then switch to a reliable imaging program like Acronis TrueImage.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > Harry Ohrn wrote:
    > > Bill you should direct your questions to Symantec as they have taken
    over
    > > Drive Image from Powerquest.
    > >
    > Been there, Harry. They're useless. I'll pass this latest one along to
    > them, but it won't get any useful messages from them.
    > Bill
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > Then switch to a reliable imaging program like Acronis TrueImage.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    I am in total agreement with Harry. I gave up the Ghost/Drive image programs
    and went with Acronis True Image several months ago. It is so much more user
    friendly with useful functions that are just not provided by Ghost. I have
    tested it by recovering to a " bare metal" drive straight from it's box with
    no prior preparation as this is an ultimate test. Even better, this test
    drive was smaller than the one it replaced. Acronis coped with the re-sizing
    on the fly without a whimper.

    I use True Image with on a second internal HDD and also on a USB2 drive. I
    take a base images once a week and automatically keep them up to date with
    daily incrementals. At the present I could pick a point in time up to 15
    days ago and restore to that date in less than a hour and not a screwdriver
    in sight.

    As the saying goes "It is the car/driver combination that kills, either on
    it's own is harmless". So download a free trial version of Acronis TI and
    see how you get on.

    Good luck Bill.

    Richard.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Richard wrote:
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>Then switch to a reliable imaging program like Acronis TrueImage.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >>www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    > I am in total agreement with Harry. I gave up the Ghost/Drive image programs
    > and went with Acronis True Image several months ago. It is so much more user
    > friendly with useful functions that are just not provided by Ghost. I have
    > tested it by recovering to a " bare metal" drive straight from it's box with
    > no prior preparation as this is an ultimate test. Even better, this test
    > drive was smaller than the one it replaced. Acronis coped with the re-sizing
    > on the fly without a whimper.
    >
    > I use True Image with on a second internal HDD and also on a USB2 drive. I
    > take a base images once a week and automatically keep them up to date with
    > daily incrementals. At the present I could pick a point in time up to 15
    > days ago and restore to that date in less than a hour and not a screwdriver
    > in sight.
    >
    > As the saying goes "It is the car/driver combination that kills, either on
    > it's own is harmless". So download a free trial version of Acronis TI and
    > see how you get on.
    >
    > Good luck Bill.
    >
    > Richard.

    Gosh, that's the first I'd heard of True Image!!
    Thanks, Harry and Richard. I'll give it a try,
    but I'm sure you're both right.
    Bill

Data Recovery Windows XP