Sign in with
Your question

CPU Cooler for GA-965P-DQ6

Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2007 4:42:09 PM

Has anybody been able to install a 3rd party CPU cooler on the GA-965P-DQ6 without removing the Crazy Cool plate under the motherboard? If so, which cooler did you use and how did you do it?

Thanks,

More about : cpu cooler 965p dq6

March 8, 2007 5:23:48 PM

I'm about to install Zalman's CNPS9500. Rather than mess with the "crazy cool" thing, I'm just going to dremel the plastic support brace that comes with the cooler. I'll let you know how it works out.
March 8, 2007 5:36:41 PM

Oh, good. I am really interested in how you make out.

Another question: isn't there a CPU cooler in the market today that would fit the DQ6 without modifying anything (either on the M/B or the cooler itself)?
Related resources
March 8, 2007 5:50:22 PM

Not to my knowledge, at least none that's any better than the stock cooler. I really hope that crazy cool thing is worth the hassle of constantly having to work around it...
March 9, 2007 8:06:43 PM

Ok, I managed to get it to fit. I wound up just chopping off the nuts attached to the bottom brace and individually mounting them to the underside of the motherboard. It's not that difficult- especially with something like a dremel. The real bitch was modifying my media center case so the @#$% thing would actually fit in it.
March 9, 2007 8:17:27 PM

Cool ! (so to speak)

I just got my MB today (Rev 3.3). I keep looking at it and I don't think I'll be able to do what you did. It is tough enough for me (being this is my first build) and I'd hate to mess something up. For now, I think I'll stay with the stock cooler and get the PC running first. I will revisit this subject again later.

I am glad it worked out for you. Thanks for keeping me posted. At least, now I know it can be done.
March 10, 2007 10:12:27 PM

I just received my 965P DQ6 rev 3.3 with the Crazy Cool underside heatsink. I purchased a Freezer 7 Pro (hard to find!) since it was lighter than most other HSFs, doesn't require an underside mount, doesn't sound like a jet taking off and (theoretically) doesn't require any modifications

<Sigh> I'm still waiting for the (rumored) Intel CPU price drop on 22 April so I can afford the E6700. Yeah, I know, my sig shows the E6700 but that's the only part of this brew that's NOT sitting here, waiting for me to build. The rest is in the corner, laughing at me for not getting on with it. <grin>.

Bottom line: I have yet to discover if the F7P will play nice and slip neatly into the factory-installed mobo holes or if I'll be another of the Dremel Corps crew. Once I build, I'll post and let you know. Apologies in advance for the delay.
March 10, 2007 10:33:55 PM

Quote:
Has anybody been able to install a 3rd party CPU cooler on the GA-965P-DQ6 without removing the Crazy Cool plate under the motherboard? If so, which cooler did you use and how did you do it?

Thanks,

I've put together 4 systems using the DQ6 and the Zalman CPS7700. In fact, I'm going to post a write-up on it in the forums soon.

Go to your local hardware store and pick up some machine screws (#14 I think). Any way, they're the same as the ones that come with the Zalman, but they're about 1/4" longer.

Add 2 nuts to each screw (more or less, depending on the length of the screws you bought) and roll them all the way up to the head of the screw. This lets you adjust the length of the screw so that the excess is not protruding from the bottom, since that will make it impossible to properly mount the mobo onto the case.

I'd be careful not to use just nuts, since the botom brace distributes the force of the heat sink over a large area. If you use JUST nuts, then all of the force is applied to an area the size of the nut, which in essense means that it's possible that the screw/nut will immediately or eventually "punch-though" the motherboard, destroying it.

I'll post the write-up soon.
March 11, 2007 1:41:39 AM

This is getting really interesting. I will take a look at that cooler. If there is no backplate to worry about, it would suit my purpose. I was originally interested on the Noctua but their website specifically states that it is not compatible with the DQ6.

Just like you, I am waiting for April 22 for the E6700 :D 
Also, I am still waiting for my case (3D Aurora 570) & RAM. I am still undecided on which graphics card to get. I have all the other components sitting on my desk for a few days now.

Thanks for your reply.
March 11, 2007 1:45:49 AM

Still another solution!!! Choices, choices ...

I am looking forward to your write up. At this point, I am not in a real hurry as I heard the stock cooler is decent enough if one does not overclock. I do not plan to do that right away so I could wait ...

Thanks to you as well for your reply.
March 12, 2007 11:06:36 AM

Quote:

I'd be careful not to use just nuts, since the botom brace distributes the force of the heat sink over a large area. If you use JUST nuts, then all of the force is applied to an area the size of the nut, which in essense means that it's possible that the screw/nut will immediately or eventually "punch-though" the motherboard, destroying it.

This was my initial fear with using the method I described earlier. I wound up cutting only as much as necessary, leaving me with a bit of plastic to help around each nut to ease the stress on the mobo. I wanted to use a setup similar to what you described, but my tiny-ass htpc case wouldn't allow it.
March 12, 2007 12:56:25 PM

Quote:

This was my initial fear with using the method I described earlier. I wound up cutting only as much as necessary, leaving me with a bit of plastic to help around each nut to ease the stress on the mobo. I wanted to use a setup similar to what you described, but my tiny-ass htpc case wouldn't allow it.

Ah. Cool.

It's a shame because I doubt Gigabyte will continue with CrazyCool because of the difficulties with aftermarket cooling. I like the idea because as much effort that's put in to cooling the processor, the PCB-side of the board is generally left to cook.

Then again, perhaps it should be the aftermarket cooler that has the "bottom heat sink" that comes with the brace. That would make more sense, as long as the mobo manufacturers can keep the traces away from that area.
March 12, 2007 4:59:26 PM

I agree that I generally like the Crazy Cool setup, though it would be nice if it were more, I dunno, modular? That way people could remove specific parts (i.e. the underside heatsink) and keep the rest.

Oh, and fair warning to the folks looking to fit a Zalman into a htpc (especially a Silverstone): be prepared to get a bit intimate with your dremel.

Whizzard: You probably already thought of this, but just in case; be sure you mention in the tutorial that the #14 screws need to be fine-threaded. I had a difficult time finding those (apparently the Big Orange place by me insist on only carrying the wide-threaded variety)
March 12, 2007 6:21:30 PM

Ah yes. Good point. Thanks. I took a TON of pictures when I built the last 2 machines.

It took me FOREVER to find the right screws. The first one I built, I had to double-up the studs on the motherboard plate just to get it to fit :( 
!