Liteon LH-20A1P Problem

nico_o

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Hello,

I have recently bought a Liteon LH-20A1P Dvd writer to replace what i thought was a dead Pioneer Dvd writer. But the problem seems to be the same. If i put, for example, a Game DVD-ROM into the drive it doesn't autoplay, and if i try to click on it it freezes and then says that an illegal operation had occured, and closes down windows explorer for a few seconds and then comes back on.

I' am really not sure why this is happening, the two drives I have are set to master and slave, which i double checked before installation.

Kind of at a loss. :(

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I got a Liteon DVD RW drive about 3 years ago, and after about 6 months it stopped reading cd's and would only read DVD's, same for burning, and I wasn't able to get an answer from there tech support, and anyone else. I tried changing configurations setting by itself, as master and as slave, connecting to the other IDE Connector, cleaning the laser lens (only has one, by what tech support says), and nothing helped. Even played a cd on it with earphones connected without it connected to the IDE port, nothing. But try allot of what I did. Also try another OS, and check the drivers to make sure they show no conflict and are the correct ones.

nico_o

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
I have tried changing the master/slave settings and no luck, I think it might be something to fo with the rest of the computer than the drive itself, but I really don't know

bomberjim

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Since the problem is consistant with both of the DVD writers, first thing I'd try is swapping out the cable, then try the other IDE connector on the motherboard.

Jim L

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
If you have another drive try it on the IDE/sata cable and connector on the mobo that that DVD drive is using to make sure the problem is with the drive.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
It's possible that the IDE drivers defaulted to PIO mode from DMA after repeated read errors. They should be in "DMA if availble". If that's the case try uninstalling the IDE drivers from device manager. They will reload when you restart windows.

Just a suggestion, no idea if this is the problem but it was something I did to get my CD and DVD burners back up to speed.

It doesn't cost anything and won't hurt anything to try it.

nico_o

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Ah ! Success! It seems that in my error I had left the previous IDE cables from my Asus 32-N mobo plugged into my new DFI board.

*handstapleforehead*