ipkiss

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Ok ive got a problem, ive just build 3 brand new systems all have pretty much the same thing on them.

They have the same memory hard drive and CPU mother board graphics card and so on.

one has failed it boots up for about 2-3 seconds and shuts down and goes in a loop of turning on and off. ive seen this problem on here before yet i can't do anything in this situation ive replaced all the items with my other computers and its down to it being a motherboard fault.

when it starts up there are four rapid post beats, anyone shed some light on this ?

Anyone know a solution to this problem or had it before?

I at the point where ive exahusted all my ideas on solving the problem so i think its time to try a new mobo.

xeni

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
4 Beeps could mean memory problems and you will probably need to replace the motherboard.

OR

You have memory that needs more than 1.8V, so go out to best buy or circuit city and buy some memory (so yo ucan return it later) and boot into the bios and up the voltage.

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
AWARD BIOS Beep Codes
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short: DRAM or M/B error
1 long 2 short: Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: DRAM error
Continuous short beeps: Power error

sounds to me like its the bios incorrectly setting dimm voltage to 1.8v when infact the memory needs more voltage to operate correctly...its a known issue with the early bios revisions and some memory with the DS3, DS4 and DQ6 mobo's.

Hawkmielle

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I had a somewhat related problem on a DQ6 rev 1 that I built for someones HTPC. Never a problem posting from a cold start, or stability while running. Just a warm reboot issue 30-40% of the time with the same symptoms. Looping every few seconds with BIOS rapiding beeping. I removed all uncessary items, reseated motherboard, increased voltages to ram and other components, flashed different BIOS's and swapped out every other component except the CPU and motherboard with other stuff. Problem still occured.

The place where I bought the components said it was my E6300 CPU at fault, they tried other non C2D Intel processors in the board and had no problem, they could no longer replicate the warm reboot issue. So they RMA'd the E6300. 4 weeks I get a brand new E6300 and the same problem happened again when I brought it home to test it.

They agree to RMA the motherboard since everything else was swapped out and eliminated. Since I waited so long on the CPU RMA they swapped out the DQ6 with another one they had in stock. Everything seems to be running well now, I have not been able to replicate the problem anymore.

ipkiss

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Thanks for the reply's the problem has not been sorted thought i can't even get to the bios lol, I'll be getting a new motherboard i just hope that i don't encounter any more problems as its quite fustrating.