How to get Cingular phone repaired?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
December 23, 2004 4:55:52 PM

They've closed the facility in my area where I used to take my phones (Trooper,
PA).

I'm guessing they want me to call an 800 number, sit through a long voicemenu,
and then mail the phone in....but that means that, aside from elevating my blood
pressure temporarily, I have no phone for a week or so...

Alternatives? Other walk-in facilities? Any other carriers with a more
user-friendly repair situation?

Seems like my root problem is that I haven't gone to a GSM plan yet. If I did
that, it would just be a matter of having a spare phone and swapping out the
sim..... but I've got four phones on an old family plan that I only pay about
$60 actual per month for and going GSM sounds more like $100-$120....
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> They've closed the facility in my area where I used to take my phones
(Trooper,
> PA).
>
> I'm guessing they want me to call an 800 number, sit through a long
voicemenu,
> and then mail the phone in....but that means that, aside from elevating my
blood
> pressure temporarily, I have no phone for a week or so...

You didn't think this through did you? Now why would Cingular want you to be
without a phone for a week? Warranty Exchange will mail you a phone, provide
you with return postage and a shipping box for the broken phone, then you
have 14 days to ship it.

> Alternatives? Other walk-in facilities? Any other carriers with a more
> user-friendly repair situation?

It's only Cingualr that does this. ALL of the other carriers have repair
techs in the store.

I would go to Verizon. They're giving away free 100% digital phones and no
activation fees for anyone. Each and every store is staffed with Level 5
phone repair technicians with at least 10 years experience.

> Seems like my root problem is that I haven't gone to a GSM plan yet. If I
did
> that, it would just be a matter of having a spare phone and swapping out
the
> sim..... but I've got four phones on an old family plan that I only pay
about
> $60 actual per month for and going GSM sounds more like $100-$120....

There are always pros and cons to everything. For that $100 per month there
are more money saving features available that were not available, or cost as
much as GSM, under the old TDMA plans.
December 23, 2004 10:10:56 PM

RE/
>You didn't think this through did you? Now why would Cingular want you to be
>without a phone for a week? Warranty Exchange will mail you a phone, provide
>you with return postage and a shipping box for the broken phone, then you
>have 14 days to ship it.

I thought about it briefly - but figured that, since it was not a GSM phone,
there would be an issue with having the replacement hooked in to my account.
Do they do this over the phone or something?
--
PeteCresswell
Related resources

RE/
>What a great phone ... 3 phones ago. Why not upgrade to something more
>modern?

Cost per month.

Even though my nominally-$45 per month account costs me sixty, getting four (or
even three) phones on a GSM account seems tb more like $100 per month.

If I could do 3 GSM phones for sixty per month, I'd ditch the fourth, (which I
only use occassionally as a loaner or in situations when I need a candybar-style
phone to work in a waterproof bag) and sign up.
--
PeteCresswell
December 24, 2004 1:02:05 PM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:42:54 -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:

>What a great phone ... 3 phones ago. Why not upgrade to something more
>modern?

Sorry, I'm not very good at playing Jeopardy.

They got the Nokia 5165 because it *works* and meets their needs.
Maybe they don't need a camera, EDGE capability, olor screen or
polyphonic ringer. The 5165 is a basic phone that does what it's
supposed to do. It makes and receives calls simply. Anyone can pick
one up and they don't need any instruction at all to figure out how to
use it. You can't say that with a lot of other phones.

December 24, 2004 11:32:03 PM

In <h7mos05ahodg4624d4h9gftr2nv7vef409@4ax.com> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 10:02:05
-0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:42:54 -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:
>
>>What a great phone ... 3 phones ago. Why not upgrade to something more
>>modern?
>
>Sorry, I'm not very good at playing Jeopardy.
>
>They got the Nokia 5165 because it *works* and meets their needs.
>Maybe they don't need a camera, EDGE capability, olor screen or
>polyphonic ringer. The 5165 is a basic phone that does what it's
>supposed to do. It makes and receives calls simply. Anyone can pick
>one up and they don't need any instruction at all to figure out how to
>use it. You can't say that with a lot of other phones.

OTOH, the 5165 has mediocre RF performance and sound quality. Regardless,
it's not economic to repair an old phone -- better to buy a replacement.

December 26, 2004 10:28:59 PM

I called 1-800-801-1101 the number on the
Cingular Website and got a very nice Cingular
Representative, Karen.

Cingular will replace my Motorola V400 - GSM,
and I have to ship the the defective phone, it has
a frozen screen and the keys are stuck, back to
them, following the instructions they send.

If the phone has liquid or phyiscal damage,
you have to pay for a new one.

This takes a total of 7 days, unless I want to
pay $17.50 extra and then it takes only two days.

Time for a new plan, when Cingular is over.

My sister has Sprint, her phone was damaged,
she went to the Spring dealer that sold her the
phone and the contract, and her defective phone
was replaced on the spot.

I went with her.

The whole thing took less than 15 minutes.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 1:53:07 AM

In article <%hEzd.2931$qf5.1058@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"torresD" <torresd30@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I called 1-800-801-1101 the number on the
> Cingular Website and got a very nice Cingular
> Representative, Karen.
>
> Cingular will replace my Motorola V400 - GSM,
> and I have to ship the the defective phone, it has
> a frozen screen and the keys are stuck, back to
> them, following the instructions they send.
>
> If the phone has liquid or phyiscal damage,
> you have to pay for a new one.
>
> This takes a total of 7 days, unless I want to
> pay $17.50 extra and then it takes only two days.
>
> Time for a new plan, when Cingular is over.
>
> My sister has Sprint, her phone was damaged,
> she went to the Spring dealer that sold her the
> phone and the contract, and her defective phone
> was replaced on the spot.
>
> I went with her.
>
> The whole thing took less than 15 minutes.

The SprintPCS usenet group has plenty of complaints of Sprint refusing
to help with phones that didnt work well, and Sprint claiming it wasnt a
warranty issue. A few cases where poor coverage was denied and the store
used it as an excuse to sell a new phone that then didnt help any other
than to extend ones contract.
!