Cannot enter Win XP BIOS

Hi,

I have installed a new harddrive and I want to get into the BIOS to
ammend the primary and secondary drives. I know that it's something
like pressing "del", "esc", "f10" or "f8" the moment you see the
windows copyright displayed, however, it does not go into BIOS and
there is no indication of what to press to view it. Is there a
setting somewhere that prevents me from getting into the BIOS on
bootup?

I am running Windows XP on a fairly old motherboard (3/4 years) I am
not sure if this information makes any difference.

Oh, and although the device manager in control panel can see the new
harddrive, it appears to be offline so I presume that unless I change
the primary and secondary drives, I won't be able to use the second
harddrive.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Leila
9 answers Last reply
More about cannot enter bios

    Leila wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed a new harddrive and I want to get into the BIOS to
    > ammend the primary and secondary drives. I know that it's something
    > like pressing "del", "esc", "f10" or "f8" the moment you see the
    > windows copyright displayed, however, it does not go into BIOS and
    > there is no indication of what to press to view it. Is there a
    > setting somewhere that prevents me from getting into the BIOS on
    > bootup?
    >
    > I am running Windows XP on a fairly old motherboard (3/4 years) I am
    > not sure if this information makes any difference.
    >
    > Oh, and although the device manager in control panel can see the new
    > harddrive, it appears to be offline so I presume that unless I change
    > the primary and secondary drives, I won't be able to use the second
    > harddrive.
    >
    > Any pointers greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Leila

    The operating system is immaterial, it has no bearing upon how one
    enters the BIOS. Only you know what motherboard and BIOS you have, so
    only you know the answer to your question. ;-}

    In the extremely unlikely event that your PC's manual or the
    motherboard manufacturer's web site doesn't contain the needed
    information, try one or more of the following:

    How do I access my computer's setup (BIOS)
    http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/2157.html

    Wim's BIOS Page
    http://www.wimsbios.com/

    Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Leila" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | I have installed a new harddrive and I want to get into the BIOS to
    | ammend the primary and secondary drives. I know that it's something
    | like pressing "del", "esc", "f10" or "f8" the moment you see the
    | windows copyright displayed, however, it does not go into BIOS and
    | there is no indication of what to press to view it. Is there a
    | setting somewhere that prevents me from getting into the BIOS on
    | bootup?
    |
    | I am running Windows XP on a fairly old motherboard (3/4 years) I am
    | not sure if this information makes any difference.
    |
    | Oh, and although the device manager in control panel can see the new
    | harddrive, it appears to be offline so I presume that unless I change
    | the primary and secondary drives, I won't be able to use the second
    | harddrive.
    |
    | Any pointers greatly appreciated!
    |
    | Thanks
    | Leila

    Bios detects the way the drives are physically connected to the drive cables
    and acts accordingly. You don't have to do anything in the bios.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Leila" <allenleila@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have installed a new harddrive and I want to get into the BIOS to
    > ammend the primary and secondary drives. I know that it's something
    > like pressing "del", "esc", "f10" or "f8" the moment you see the
    > windows copyright displayed, however, it does not go into BIOS and
    > there is no indication of what to press to view it. Is there a
    > setting somewhere that prevents me from getting into the BIOS on
    > bootup?
    >
    > I am running Windows XP on a fairly old motherboard (3/4 years) I am
    > not sure if this information makes any difference.
    >
    > Oh, and although the device manager in control panel can see the new
    > harddrive, it appears to be offline so I presume that unless I change
    > the primary and secondary drives, I won't be able to use the second
    > harddrive.
    >
    > Any pointers greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Leila

    To the OP, you only have the time during the POST (power on
    self test) BEFORE Windows even begins to load to access the
    BIOS. Once Windows has been accessed on the hard drive the
    BIOS is locked out.

    The drives are assigned there place by the jumpers on the
    drives and or the IDE controllers they are connected to. In
    Windows XP, you also have a disk management function, which
    you can access by right clicking My Computer and then
    selecting Manage.

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in
    message news:ejhYEXWLFHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

    In news:aa4acb12.0503200741.5f93e1bf@posting.google.com,
    Leila <allenleila@hotmail.com> typed:

    > I have installed a new harddrive and I want to get into the
    > BIOS to
    > ammend the primary and secondary drives. I know that it's
    > something
    > like pressing "del", "esc", "f10" or "f8" the moment you see
    > the
    > windows copyright displayed,

    No. By the time you see any mention of Windows, Windows has
    started to boot and it's too late.

    First, note that there's no such thing as the "Win XP BIOS." The
    BIOS has nothing to do with Windows; it's a feature of the
    motherboard you use. To get into the BIOS you have to do it
    before Wihndows even starts to boot.

    One common way is to press the Del key when you first power on,
    but that's not necessarily right for your computer. Watch the
    screen carefully when you first boot; there's often a message
    there telling you what to do. If not, check your system
    documentation or check with your vendor.

    Also look here:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    However, you shouldn't need to go into the BIOS just because you
    installed another drive.

    > however, it does not go into BIOS and
    > there is no indication of what to press to view it. Is there a
    > setting somewhere that prevents me from getting into the BIOS
    > on
    > bootup?
    >
    > I am running Windows XP on a fairly old motherboard (3/4 years)
    > I am
    > not sure if this information makes any difference.
    >
    > Oh, and although the device manager in control panel can see
    > the new
    > harddrive, it appears to be offline so I presume that unless I
    > change
    > the primary and secondary drives, I won't be able to use the
    > second
    > harddrive.

    No, it's probably just that you haven't partitioned and formatted
    the drive.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    No, you have to do it immediately when you power on the machine, if you
    leave it to the Windows splash screen its too late. It's not the Windows
    BIOS either, just the system bios.

    > Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Leila" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I have installed a new harddrive and I want to get into the BIOS to
    > | ammend the primary and secondary drives. I know that it's something
    > | like pressing "del", "esc", "f10" or "f8" the moment you see the
    > | windows copyright displayed, however, it does not go into BIOS and
    > | there is no indication of what to press to view it. Is there a
    > | setting somewhere that prevents me from getting into the BIOS on
    > | bootup?
    > |
    > | I am running Windows XP on a fairly old motherboard (3/4 years) I am
    > | not sure if this information makes any difference.
    > |
    > | Oh, and although the device manager in control panel can see the new
    > | harddrive, it appears to be offline so I presume that unless I change
    > | the primary and secondary drives, I won't be able to use the second
    > | harddrive.
    > |
    > | Any pointers greatly appreciated!
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > | Leila

    Have you formatted the disk to make it useable and readable? Or do you want
    to get to the bios to make sure the system is "Seeing" the disk?

    > No, it's probably just that you haven't partitioned and formatted
    > the drive.

    Wow, thank you! This solved the problem!

    In news:c5ee6b12.0503220140.729b83ec@posting.google.com,
    Leila <leila.allen@gmail.com> typed:

    >> No, it's probably just that you haven't partitioned and
    >> formatted
    >> the drive.
    >
    > Wow, thank you! This solved the problem!

    You're welcome. Glad to hear it it and glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

BIOS Hard Drives Windows XP