Can't install antivirus on 2003 server

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (SP1). Fully patched. New hardware.
Plenty of RAM (6GB) Plenty of disk space (385GB). The server has the roles
of File Server and Print Server.
However, I am completely unable to load Symantec AV. The programs goes or
appears to go through the process, it finishes and prompts for a reboot but
it comes back up there is nothing in the program group or anywhere that
resembles a symantec client.
The firewall is on but there is nothing out of the ordinary that I can see.
There are no policies prohibiting the installation of the application.
I even turned DEP on for all programs and services, except those I select.
And I selected Symantec.
I'm at a loss here and the answer is probably staring me in the face. Any
thoughts?
Thanks.

Symantec produce specific versions for servers, if you try to install a
normal version they assume you are trying to cheat by installing cheap
public versions instead of expensive commercial versions :)

It's probably that simple. AVG won't have it either, although XP pro seems
to have them confused since it "Can" be a server but isn't called server :)
sort of....

Failed Symantec installs used to be a nightmare, leaving debris all over the
place and refusing to either fully uninstall or completely install so you
can start over. My advice actually would be (if not activated yet) to
reinstall the OS and throw the symantec stuff in the trash, otherwise you
may risk future trouble from the partially installed debris. Their corporate
version did seem much better than their public version last time I tried it
but the last time their techsupport responded with "You don't have to buy
our products you know" I decided to take their advice.

Charlie

"O Chacon" <OChacon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (SP1). Fully patched. New
> hardware.
> Plenty of RAM (6GB) Plenty of disk space (385GB). The server has the
> roles
> of File Server and Print Server.
> However, I am completely unable to load Symantec AV. The programs goes or
> appears to go through the process, it finishes and prompts for a reboot
> but
> it comes back up there is nothing in the program group or anywhere that
> resembles a symantec client.
> The firewall is on but there is nothing out of the ordinary that I can
> see.
> There are no policies prohibiting the installation of the application.
> I even turned DEP on for all programs and services, except those I
> select.
> And I selected Symantec.
> I'm at a loss here and the answer is probably staring me in the face. Any
> thoughts?
> Thanks.

So then may I ask what antivirus program do you use??

On Sun, 8 May 2005 01:44:02 -0500, "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net>
wrote:

>Symantec produce specific versions for servers, if you try to install a
>normal version they assume you are trying to cheat by installing cheap
>public versions instead of expensive commercial versions :)
>
>It's probably that simple. AVG won't have it either, although XP pro seems
>to have them confused since it "Can" be a server but isn't called server :)
>sort of....
>
>Failed Symantec installs used to be a nightmare, leaving debris all over the
>place and refusing to either fully uninstall or completely install so you
>can start over. My advice actually would be (if not activated yet) to
>reinstall the OS and throw the symantec stuff in the trash, otherwise you
>may risk future trouble from the partially installed debris. Their corporate
>version did seem much better than their public version last time I tried it
>but the last time their techsupport responded with "You don't have to buy
>our products you know" I decided to take their advice.
>
>Charlie

Charlie, Fred, thanks for replying. I neglected to mention that I have a
second server, older but with a similar configuration, in which I was able to
install Symantec AV (v. 9.0.0.1400) The only difference as far as I recall
is that I loaded the AV before installing SP1.
My plan now is to uninstall sp1, attempt to load the AV and if succesful,
reinstall SP1.
// Omar

"Fred 2" wrote:

> So then may I ask what antivirus program do you use??
>
> On Sun, 8 May 2005 01:44:02 -0500, "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Symantec produce specific versions for servers, if you try to install a
> >normal version they assume you are trying to cheat by installing cheap
> >public versions instead of expensive commercial versions :)
> >
> >It's probably that simple. AVG won't have it either, although XP pro seems
> >to have them confused since it "Can" be a server but isn't called server :)
> >sort of....
> >
> >Failed Symantec installs used to be a nightmare, leaving debris all over the
> >place and refusing to either fully uninstall or completely install so you
> >can start over. My advice actually would be (if not activated yet) to
> >reinstall the OS and throw the symantec stuff in the trash, otherwise you
> >may risk future trouble from the partially installed debris. Their corporate
> >version did seem much better than their public version last time I tried it
> >but the last time their techsupport responded with "You don't have to buy
> >our products you know" I decided to take their advice.
> >
> >Charlie

Just for kicks, I used a second CD to install the product. This time it
worked. Don't know what to make of this since I have used both disks to
install AV in different platforms.
Something to keep in mind I suppose.

// Omar