Sign in with
Your question

Ready to pull the trigger, opinions wanted.

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2007 7:10:12 PM

I've been lurking here and at anandtech just trying to do my research on a first pc build in 6+ years.

The pc will be a toss between music recording (Sonar), graphic 2D and 3D (DAZ, Bryce), media ripping/encoding, and I wouldn't mind doing some gaming on it while I have something newer and faster, still mostly gaming on my 360 though. I'm trying to keep it somewhat as a budget pc but still have some powa.

Not too sure I will OC it because stability is a must for me, I'd hate to loose music or graphic data due to crashes. However if I can do a mild OC that will be stable that would be a consideration if there was a noticeable gain.

Here is what I came up with and I think I'll be placing and order this week (newegg)

Core 2 Duo 6400
MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Mobo
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 Dual Channel TWIN2X2048-6400
EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3
Ultra / X-Finity 500-Watt SATA/SLI Ready Power Supply
XION II Black Case

I have a Spectre X22WG monitor now that I can still return to Costco if I dont like it, so far its working out great with my 360.

Not including monitor this comes out to roughly $850.

Any suggestions or opinions on the hardware would be greatly appreciated.

Ed
a b B Homebuilt system
March 8, 2007 8:09:03 PM

Uch MSI dont even think about it

Never buy any GS cards - the performance stinks

PSU, something more branded?
March 9, 2007 1:14:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

How about this mobo?

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI

Regarding the video card my monitor doesnt get very high resolutions so I'm more than likely not going to be using the card at its max resolutions wouldn't that save me some performance hits? This really isnt going to be an ubber gaming machine. Would the GS to GT jump make that much of a difference at lower screen resolutions?

I'll look around for some different power supplies, the only reason that I picked that one was that I found a number of good reviews on it and they all said it was quiet. Do you think 500W good enough for a single video card system with 2 HDs?

Ed
Related resources
March 9, 2007 1:17:50 PM

Quote:
Never buy any GS cards - the performance stinks

That's not true at all, the 7900GS is a good choice. Definitely a wiser move than the more expensive 7900GT. Also you might be able to get the factory overclocked EVGA 7900GS KO version for a couple bucks more, that'd be worth it.

I haven't read up on MSI's 650i board (though I expect it's not bad at all) but Asus's is pretty good.

EDIT: Also you could consider 965 boards like Gigabyte 965P DS3. And if you're willing to overclock you could save money and get the e6300. Core 2 chips overclock like demons, you should be able to easily get either the e6300 or e6400 to 3GHz.

I quickly looked up the MSI board and apparently it's a good solid board too. I'm not surprised, MSI is a good company. So you might want to research more extensively but I'd say either the MSI or the Asus 650is are good, and the GA 965P DS3 is a very popular board.
March 9, 2007 2:12:03 PM

Ok, a few comments about your specs. For what you describe, your component selection is a bit......misguided. No offense. What your uses are and what you're showing are a bit unnecessary.......here's why:

-Since you're primarily interested in ripping, encoding, and 3D like Bryce, etc......you're needs are all about the CPU horsepower, plain and simple. You need a FAST CPU. A 6600, if you can spring for the extra $$, is the way to go. A 6400 is ok if you're budget-constrained.

-Unless you plan on using 3 monitors, ditch the SLI mobos. Not needed. At all. The suggested Gigabyte 965P-S3 or DS3 is a champ. It's a proven winner, very stable, great overclocks, BIOS easy to understand, good features, good board layout, not picky with the RAM, and very affordable. HIGHLY recommend it. Drop the 650i boards and get the S3 or DS3.

-If you're not overclocking, then your RAM is overkill and you're paying too much for it. If not overclocking, then value 667 RAM will do just fine. Either way, the Corsair is generally overpriced, there are better and cheaper options, especially for stock speeds (not overclocking).

-The 7900GS is ok. It's not needed for Bryce, etc though....a 7600GT will do just fine and also in gaming. Plus, that'll save you some money there.

Now, if you want to consider overclocking, listen to this for a minute:
-C2D 6400
-Gigabyte 965P-S3
-G.Skill or OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 RAM
-EVGA 7600GT
-same PSU
-same case
-consider an aftermarket CPU heatsink.

Now, with this setup you can still hit your budget and can overclock it like a BEAST. I've put together a little S3/DS3 overclocking Guide for Newbies (PM me if you want) that will let you hit very good clocks on the cheap. You can basically beat a 6600 CPU performance without breaking a sweat, and all alot cheaper too. And/or you can put that money you saved into a better graphics card if you want.

This will let you have great CPU horsepower that will chew through your encoding and renderings, and have a respectable graphics card that will let you do some gaming if you want.

For what you need to do, it's all about the CPU, not the RAM or whatever. So either go with a 6600 and cheaper RAM and mobo and don't overclock, or else go with a 6400, decent RAM and mobo, and overclock it past a 6600 ;) 
March 9, 2007 2:58:37 PM

Jeff,

The 7900GS KO card was the one I that I picked out, I forgot to put that on the description.

I may OC down the road but for now, I think I'm using the stock cooling fans and dont want to try to push things too hard just yet. If that makes any sense.

That 965 board looks nice too, I have firewire peripherals so I'd like a board with that built in, I'm sure that there are 965s in the ieee flavor. The ASUS has a better name and rep vs the MSI but that mobo has better built in sound and an extra PCI slot.
March 9, 2007 3:03:58 PM

Others have suggested different boards and I agree with their assesment. Personally, I'd avoid MSi because of past experience. ASUS is generally a good board, but so is Gigabyte. I'd suggest OCZ ram instead of Corsair. Same performance, less money spent. Apache lives suggested a better psu. I totally agree. Look for something from Seasonic, Enermax, Thermaltake or Antec. 500wt -550 wt should be fime for your present machine specs. You might take a look at Tom's guide for the best video cards for the money and go from there.
March 9, 2007 3:13:41 PM

Skyguy,

Awesome feedback, yes your right I'm very misguided and your suggestions are exactly what I was looking for. The 6600 would be a great route for me to go but I'm on a budget.

I'll definitely consider your OC setup as well, like I said I'd like stability and it seems like your config will get me that.

I'll PM you.

Cheers for the great info.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2007 11:41:13 AM

i for sure will never buy another shoddy msi product
March 11, 2007 11:58:59 AM

Don't pull the trigger, your life is worth more than having some brass and copper go inside of it.

Imagine all the people u could help with your life!

there's blind and deaf, theres homeless ppl

just walk up to a homeless person right now and say hey how ya doin..

make converstation with them.

You would see that a homeless person on the street has no computer, whereas you do.

You could then see you have more self worth...PLEASE DONT PULL THE TRIGGER!!!
March 11, 2007 1:51:19 PM

Quote:
Don't pull the trigger, your life is worth more than having some brass and copper go inside of it.

You would see that a homeless person on the street has no computer, whereas you do.

Ah, guy, have you read anything that has been in this post? This isn't about suicide, but about ordering parts for a computer. Maybe you should take a course in reading and understanding before you post again.
March 13, 2007 1:16:07 PM

Quote:

Another post from PC_Side_line that makes no sense. In his collection are:
-Using 1024x768 is best
-Egg before chicken
-Sadam Hussein and computers

You'll notice he never replies back, by the way
March 13, 2007 2:15:39 PM

And yet he has 200+ posts in a month or so........? Makes ya wonder..... :?
March 13, 2007 8:20:18 PM

THATS RITE, MAKES U WONDER THAT STEFx IS PAYING MORE ATTN TO PC SIDE LINE INSTEAD OF HELPING OTHERS!

If you're lookin for trouble, you came to the right place!
March 14, 2007 1:54:43 AM

Quote:
THATS RITE, MAKES U WONDER THAT STEFx IS PAYING MORE ATTN TO PC SIDE LINE INSTEAD OF HELPING OTHERS!

If you're lookin for trouble, you came to the right place!

PC_Side_line, your behavior on these forums is so erratic and unstable, it's no wonder that many people have started noticing it and highlighting it. I'm just one among many.
March 14, 2007 2:17:37 AM

Stefx you are pathetic, you do not have multiple decades of experience in building computers.

You rarely author helpful articles.

its much easier for u to attack others who are trying to make a difference.
March 14, 2007 11:51:56 AM

Why did you give a lecture about suicide and community service in a thread about hardware advice?
March 14, 2007 3:30:30 PM

Look at the headline sweety....usually pulling a trigger means a g u n...

We covered that negativity part, the authors' title was wrong.

this is academic.

There are no moving trigger parts in a pc, so the author was having some fun with his title.
March 14, 2007 3:53:30 PM

Hey guys, it's raining so hard here, it's raining cats and dogs!!!

^^comment is wrong, having some fun with my comment.

Hey guys, my PC kicks ass!!

^^my PC doesn't actually have a foot, so it can't kick anything...just having fun with my title.

You know.....in case anyone wasn't sure what was being said and needed a non-literal translation ;) 
March 14, 2007 4:30:27 PM

Quote:
Look at the headline sweety....usually pulling a trigger means a g u n...

We covered that negativity part, the authors' title was wrong.

this is academic.

There are no moving trigger parts in a pc, so the author was having some fun with his title.

don't be so stupid, there's nothing wrong with his title... Maybe he meant pulling the trigger on his credit card.

anyway to the OP, IF you can squeeze $100 maybe you should get this card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

it's an 8800GTS for $259.99 after Rebate, but it will give you a huge performance boost over that 7900GS (and will last you longer :roll: ), if not, the 7900GS is still a good card.

and definetely get the S3 or DS3, no reason to spend more on motherboards than what's needed.
March 14, 2007 5:00:03 PM

looks devishly :twisted: good.
March 14, 2007 5:29:45 PM

I definitely say go for a DS3, and an 8800GTS. $259 is a really good deal for something that will not need to be upgraded as soon. The e6400 is a good CPU and is easy to overclock, so that should last you a good while. Ultra makes mediocre PSUs, I like FSP PSUs myself.

All in all, here is my recommendation for you:

DS3
e6400 or e4300
FSPor other brand PSU from the tiered list found here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...
2 GB G.Skill DDR2 800 (On NewEgg for $160)
8800 GTS 320 for $259
March 14, 2007 6:28:37 PM

I haven't pulled the trigger (yet) I'm still alive :lol: 

Yeah that 8800 looks awesome and definitely going the suggested S3/DS3 route, thats why I asked. I've been busy lately so I havent had much time to start putting the things together for this build.

Ed
!