What is a "Clean Upgrade" from WIN98 SE to W2K?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Please tell me what a "clean upgrade" is. Is it a choice I will be
offered at the beginning by the W2K Pro install program?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-quot-Clean-quot-WIN98-SE-W2K-ftopict372221.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1206678
6 answers Last reply
More about what clean upgrade win98
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Be advised that upgrades from win9x almost always fail for any number of
    reasons. Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than
    likely end up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left
    behind from the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean
    install.

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
    The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
    to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
    or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
    operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
    qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
    proceed.

    Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
    or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

    If all you have is a pc manufacturer's win98 restore CD-Rom then the best
    you can do is clean install win98 then before installing anything start the
    upgrade process by inserting the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "aaa1steve" wrote:
    | Please tell me what a "clean upgrade" is. Is it a choice I will be
    | offered at the beginning by the W2K Pro install program?
    |
    | --
    | Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    request
    | Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    | Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-quot-Clean-quot-WIN98-SE-W2K-ftopict372221.html
    | Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1206678
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    It is an install of W2k (or any OS) to a freshly formatted partition.

    Strictly speaking, it's not an upgrade but an entirely new install that
    does not carry any settings forward from a predecessor OS. Semanticists
    might argue it's an upgrade, and in a sense it is - but not in the
    Microsoft sense. Ambiguity reigns, as always.

    As others point out, an "upgrade" from W9x to W2k is an iffy
    proposition, since subtle registry errors that DOS-based systems don't
    care about can make life very tedious when they are applied to W2k. It's
    much, much smarter to do a clean install of W2k.

    aaa1steve wrote:
    > Please tell me what a "clean upgrade" is. Is it a choice I will be
    > offered at the beginning by the W2K Pro install program?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:
> [...]
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "aaa1steve" wrote:
    > | Please tell me what a "clean upgrade" is. Is it a choice I
    > will be
    > | offered at the beginning by the W2K Pro install program?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at
    > author's
    > request
    > | Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
    > standards
    > | Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-quot-Clean-quot-WIN98-SE-W2K-ftopict372221.html
    > | Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

    I think I understand. Just want to double-check a few things here.

    I’ll be getting the W2K CD in a few days, and I have the ability
    during my PC start-up to hit "C" to boot from my CD-ROM drive. Must
    I create a set of start-up disks, or are you just suggesting that as
    one option (I guess for people who can only boot from their floppy
    drive)?

    Secondly, I have no partitions of my C or D hard drives (both FAT).
    So should I just ignore your instructions about "delete partitions,
    abort install" etc.? I’m not wanting to fool with my hard drive
    formatting or the files there (other than WIN98 stuff of course).

    BTW, my WIN98 OS has been fairly stable re hardware devices, etc.

    Thanks for your time and help.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    "aaa1steve" wrote:
    | I think I understand. Just want to double-check a few things here.
    |
    | I'll be getting the W2K CD in a few days, and I have the ability
    | during my PC start-up to hit "C" to boot from my CD-ROM drive. Must
    | I create a set of start-up disks, or are you just suggesting that as
    | one option (I guess for people who can only boot from their floppy
    | drive)?
    * It's only one or the other. Yes, best to boot the CD-Rom if possible.

    | Secondly, I have no partitions of my C or D hard drives (both FAT).
    | So should I just ignore your instructions about "delete partitions,
    | abort install" etc.? I'm not wanting to fool with my hard drive
    | formatting or the files there (other than WIN98 stuff of course).
    * No, backup your data and delete all partition info found. NTFS is the
    native file system of Windows 2000

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    > "aaa1steve" wrote:
    > | I think I understand. Just want to double-check a few
    > things here.
    > |
    > | I'll be getting the W2K CD in a few days, and I have the
    > ability
    > | during my PC start-up to hit "C" to boot from my CD-ROM
    > drive. Must
    > | I create a set of start-up disks, or are you just suggesting
    > that as
    > | one option (I guess for people who can only boot from their
    > floppy
    > | drive)?
    > * It's only one or the other. Yes, best to boot the CD-Rom if
    > possible.
    >
    > | Secondly, I have no partitions of my C or D hard drives
    > (both FAT).
    > | So should I just ignore your instructions about "delete
    > partitions,
    > | abort install" etc.? I'm not wanting to fool with my hard
    > drive
    > | formatting or the files there (other than WIN98 stuff of
    > course).
    > * No, backup your data and delete all partition info found.
    > NTFS is the
    > native file system of Windows 2000
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Still trying to understand the implications for my data on the hard
    drives. I will back up first. But will the W2K install program
    convert my drives from FAT to NTFS and leave my data intact, assuming
    all goes well?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-quot-Clean-quot-WIN98-SE-W2K-ftopict372221.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1214782
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    You can but that's definitely not the best way to go about it.

    --

    "aaa1steve" wrote:
    | Still trying to understand the implications for my data on the hard
    | drives. I will back up first. But will the W2K install program
    | convert my drives from FAT to NTFS and leave my data intact, assuming
    | all goes well?
    |
    | --
    | Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    request
    | Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    | Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-quot-Clean-quot-WIN98-SE-W2K-ftopict372221.html
    | Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1214782

Microsoft Windows