QX6700 Tjunction? Tcase? What is safe?

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Hey, I'm new here but after reading that C2D temperature guide I signed in. Some great reading there.

Only a shame for me, was that the Core2Quad Extreme QX6700 has not been insterted in the list. Yep, I have one. :wink:

Now in that list for the X6800 the Tcase max is 60.4°C. As I've found on the Intel site, for my quad it's 65°C. Now doing the addup of 15°C as shown in the guide I would come to a max of 80°C for the QX6700

Now the thing is in core-temp 0.94beta it's says for the Tj 100°C. Also when I run Prime95 with small tests the temps go easy to above 80°C, so I'm worried. At idle the warmest core is 52°C (while typing this) in core-temp. So the delta is around 30°C

CompuTronix or others off course
Here some questions:
1. What is the safe max Tjunction for the QX6700
2. TAT, is there a version that will work with a nVidia chipset. Or a simular program
3. Is that Tuniq Tower really a good option? I want to OC my cpu to a 3.2GHz. Or should I save the cash and buy immediately the Coolit Freezone
4. Are the temp readings during Prime95 normal?

Thx in advance.

PS: before you ask :wink:

Tcase = 33°C (Probe) & above 70°C (Prime95 small FTP's)
Tjunction = 52°C (Core-Temp) & above 80°C (Prime95, can't run TAT)

Ambient = 20°C
Chipset = 680i
C2D = QX6700
CPU Cooler = Zalman 9700 LED
Frequency = 2.66GHz (stock)
Load = Prime95
Motherboard = Asus Striker Extreme (bios 0901)
Vcore = 1.34V

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Hmm, must have done something wrong? Still no reply? So nobody knows it, or might give me directions were to find it?

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
oh man i hope i could help, but i cant, just wanted to keep alive your post until you get answer, if its usefull 4 you i have the kandalf lcs only for the qx6700, idle temp(hot core) is 24c shown in bios since i have yet fail to find a core temp reading software for vista ultimate 64 8O

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
oh man i hope i could help, but i cant, just wanted to keep alive your post until you get answer, if its usefull 4 you i have the kandalf lcs only for the qx6700, idle temp(hot core) is 24c shown in bios since i have yet fail to find a core temp reading software for vista ultimate 64 8O
No worry's. But I can't find it anyware. I know the TDP is 130W and Tcase 65°C. But I can't find anywhere the Tjunction so I can know what is safe.

For your problem with core-temp. Here is a link that can help.

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Let's keep this thing alive for another moment. :wink:

This must be a very hard question. What is the max Tjunction of the Intel Quad-Core Extreme QX6700. And then what is safe? Core-Temp indicates it's 100°C. So is this true and can I run then safely my cpu to 85°C all day long?

But then, the Tcase is only 65°C. So there is a difference about 35°C. Now that very nice cpu temperature guide (which didn't cover the quad) says it's only a difference off 15°C for the dual-core.

I don't know, do you?

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
(Core-Temp indicates it's 100°C!) tht would be nice, somebody most know this, lets keep alive this until we get answer (yes we) since im serching for tht now, since im about to oc the comp, many ppl have oc the processor and there only 2 options, they all are carless about the 1000bucks chip or they know and the dont share lol :x

aight speed fan is working fine ty! so here are my readings
idle(almost idle)vista ultimate all eyecandy on.
on bios says 26c in windows reprted by speedfan cores/31c/32c/32c/28c
while writing this + everest stress cpu test + seti = ouch 100% real cap since i bearly can write this slow motion 8O . and after 20 mins. cores /57c/56c/51c/52c
mobo idle 29 mobo load same conditions 34 and whatever temp 3 is 40c
is this good for watercooled? ur im fu$% up
ambiet (room) acording to my digital (thermometer) lol i dont know the word. 25c

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
(Core-Temp indicates it's 100°C!) tht would be nice, somebody most know this, lets keep alive this until we get answer (yes we) since im serching for tht now, since im about to oc the comp, many ppl have oc the processor and there only 2 options, they all are carless about the 1000bucks chip or they know and the dont share lol :x

aight speed fan is working fine ty! so here are my readings
idle(almost idle)vista ultimate all eyecandy on.
on bios says 26c in windows reprted by speedfan cores/31c/32c/32c/28c
while writing this + everest stress cpu test + seti = ouch 100% real cap since i bearly can write this slow motion 8O . and after 20 mins. cores /57c/56c/51c/52c
mobo idle 29 mobo load same conditions 34 and whatever temp 3 is 40c
is this good for watercooled? ur im fu$% up
ambiet (room) acording to my digital (thermometer) lol i dont know the word. 25c
Your numbers look very good. My room is 20°C and I hit the 80°C (hottest core) while running Prime95 small FFT's.

I guess you are safe. The Tcase is 65°C and you are still below that at your cores. For me, I think there is something wrong with my setup off the Zalman. I'm looking for that Shin-Etsu X23 paste but can't find it in Belgium. The next thing would be according a review, the AS Ceramique. But I wrote an email to AS and they told me AS5 which didn't came out all to good in that test. So I'm a little confused what to take.

So are you running water cooling?

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
yep watercolled, im gonna take i pic and try to post it here i have ude as5 for a long time in all my components as far as i know is gr8! i have always notice a 3c drop after install and after 1 week another 2c more thts 5c not bad just for a grease, also about the ceramic ,dont listen to me to much i may be mistaken but i saw somewhere than tht grase will (cure)
and get solid making any type of adjustment very hard.

u may wanna try first using the stock cooler, and see what happend
also whats your temp diference between cores?

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
yep watercolled, im gonna take i pic and try to post it here

What did you all cool? Just the cpu or also other chips? And can you give me details about your cooling? I'm thinking also about watercooling, but for me everything should fit inside my case because I also go to a LAN from time to time.

First I will try off course reinstalling the Zalman with AS5, and see the results. I just found out that you have to apply it horizontal on a quad-core instead of vertical like for a dual-core cpu. Maybe the shop which mounted it, did it wrongly.

It's my first DIY, so I've let it build. Did already some changes myself, like cleaning up cables, changing to more quite fans, adjusting the bios to get more stability etc.. That's the advantage of the Asus Striker mobo. The thing is still little buggy and the support from Asus is zero. So I've learned a lot allready. Speed-course in DIY pc's :lol:

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
well no outside things in the kandalf lcs, im charging the camera to be able to post the pics, but i must tell you than the weight of the kandalf is brutal , im using all the cooling for the processor. chipset is good u will see in the pic

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
ok here are the pics i hope, heh i have never post a pic so test 1
kandlaf1.jpg

[/img]http://slavemaker.5u.com/cgi-bin/i/images/kandlaf3.jpg[/img]

well it kinda work heh just click on the link and copy the other one lol, sorry about the cables the comp still in testing

and you are right, thermal grease must be apply horizontal acording to triange in the qx6700 processor, triangle must be down to the left.. so im going to doit right now!!! ty wish me luck

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Good luck! :wink:

That candalf. It's a case with the watercooling already mounted?

But I've seen enough. You have a 3 ventilator radiator. That's to big to install in my case. :? I'll wait untill cooilit comes with a cooler for the quad then. The Freezone they have now can't deal with the heat. There is something that makes the quad more special then other cpu's.

Still we don't have an answer about a safe Tjunction. Is it 80°C or 65°C? Keeping the main question alive 8)

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
well i just hope tht its above 80c at least or 100c heh we can dream until somebody tell use the truth, i spend about 3 hrs cleaning the wires of my comp, reorginize the hole thing im going to post it , in a few
ok it's done chek it out
http://slavemaker.5u.com/photo2_1.html

Freaking Tjunction!!!!! sneaky

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Looks nice. Always a pain cleaning the cables. :D

Where is your psu sitting? Can't see on the pictures.

Hmm, Tjunction??? anyone? :roll:

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
man i found on a techforum than the tjunction for qx6700 is 100c but im not sure since it was just one guy, but noone call him a liar, since i got a little desperate, i throw the dice, i made mi frist lame overclock just manually adjusting the timings and speed for my memory and set the mutilpier to 11x , i have now 2994mhz it runs like acharm and mi 3d mark went 1000 extra points, but we still need confirmation from someone that knows for sure.
my psu is the brand new invisible one, lol hehe u r the 4th person to ask tht,, the psu is in the top back of the case, and the other 2 psu's are below the dvdrw and dvd

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
man i found on a techforum than the tjunction for qx6700 is 100c but im not sure since it was just one guy, but noone call him a liar, since i got a little desperate, i throw the dice, i made mi frist lame overclock just manually adjusting the timings and speed for my memory and set the mutilpier to 11x , i have now 2994mhz it runs like acharm and mi 3d mark went 1000 extra points, but we still need confirmation from someone that knows for sure.
my psu is the brand new invisible one, lol hehe u r the 4th person to ask tht,, the psu is in the top back of the case, and the other 2 psu's are below the dvdrw and dvd
You have three small psu then? Strange, first time I see that...

100°C is also what Core-Temp says. Maybe we can see it also in TAT but I can't run that program because of the nVidia 680i chipset.

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
yeah it kinda sounds like it eh 8)

theres all but small power in there (1150watts) is better since u avoid ground looping so everthing is more stable and safe :D

man 818ppl has read this thread, and no answer, i think is time to let this post to die in the air (it sux) since i dont see any advance here

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Yep, I guess you're right. We kept it alive long enough.
Guess we are the only ones with a quad here that care about our money.

Well, It's been fun :wink:

walts

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I'm not sure whether this subject is now closed or still active. I just stumbled onto it.
It is a subject I have been trying to track down for several weeks because I bot a QX6700 a few weeks ago & it is overclocked & I don't know how far to go without damaging the cpu. I care about my $s too. I don't have any good answers, but I have a few stray opinions that might be useless & might be wrong.

I think the label "Tjunction" is used in at least three different ways. These are related, but not precisely the same.

(1) The desktop Core 2 cpus have a partial metal heatspreader on top & then some sort of internal thermal interface material & then a silicon layer where the computation is done & the heat is generated & then a supporting board for the silicon. "Tjunction" is then sometimes used to refer to the temperature (that one might be able to measure) at the junction between the silicon layer & the supporting board. Of course, this temperature (that one might measure, at least in principle), will go up & down with computational load, with core voltage, with fan speed, with room temperature, etc.

(2) "Tjunction" is sometimes used to refer to THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE VALUE of the temperature I have defined above in (1). THIS SHOULD BE CALLED TjunctionMAX, but usually it is not. This number will not go up & down with any running conditions at all. It is a fixed tolerance spec set by Intel for each type of chip.

(3) Intel has implanted some type of thermal sensors somewhere in the silicon layer of their Core2 cpus.
These generate a digital signal that can be picked up & then used to calculate a temperature by using a formula provided by INTEL. This formula of INTEL looks approximately like this:

temperature = constant - digital_signal.

The constant in the above formula is called "Tjunction" by Intel. That is, Intel writes this formula as

temperature = Tjunction - digital_signal.

This third type of "Tjunction" is not something that is measured or can be measured at all. It is just a constant in a formula that has been chosen by Intel for its own use. It is different for different types of cpus, but does not vary with use.

When the CoreTemp software reports that "Tjunction = 100 C" (or whatever it reports to you) it is not reporting anything measured at all. The author of CoreTemp is simply telling you that CoreTemp has calculated the core temperatures by plugging the number 100 into Intel's formula & then used

temperature = 100 - digital_signal.

and reported the result to you as your core temperature. Of course, we all hope that the CoreTemp has correctly identified the type of your cpu & has gotten the correct constant assigned by Intel for your cpu. Otherwise GIGO.

Of the three different uses I listed above for the same label "Tjunction", the 1st & 3rd are just fixed numbers (for each type of cpu) that have been set by Intel. Then, has Intel chosen to set these two numbers to be equal? I hope so, but I'm not sure.

Tcase. I have claimed above that the label "Tjunction" was rather ambiguous. Now what about "Tcase"? I have tried to read the Intel document. It does define "Tcase" as the temperature on the center of the outside surface of the heatspreader. But this section of the Intel document is giving design specs to the thermal design engineers. It does not say that Intel or anyone else has actually placed any thermal sensors on the outside surface of the heatspreader. The thermal design engineers have various goals: to reduce costs & to hold down noise levels., etc. Intel is telling the thermal design engineers, "OK, you can cut back on the thermal design of your computer, so long as you can remove 130 Watts from the cpu without letting the temperature at the center of the outside surface of the cpu heatspreader go above 65 deg C". [I am just using some Intel numbers for a QX6700 cpu as an example. There are other numbers for other power levels & other cpus.] The thermal design engineer is expected to make calculations or tests to ensure his design can meet Intel's specs. If those specs are met, then Intel warrants, based on its own thermal calculations inside the cpu, that the cpu will function for its design life. I have found no claim by Intel that there is a thermal sensor for "Tcase".
Intel's own TAT software does not report such a result, at least when I run it.

There is at least one more "temperature" we must deal with. That is a temperature that is somehow picked up by the motherboard hardware & then reported in the BIOS & often by proprietary motherboard windows software & by other software such as Fanspeed. I have two ASUS P5B motherboards. They use ASUS software & call this temperature just "CPU temperature". The terms "Tcase" or "Tjunction" are not used by ASUS.

One of my ASUS motherboards has a Core 2 Duo installed. At this time it is reporting "CPU" temperature = 64 deg C. But TAT reports that the two core temperatures are Core 0 = 54 deg C and Core 1 = 55 deg C. Now we can say that this ASUS "CPU" temperature is NOT "Tcase" because the core sensors are in the silicon layer of the cpu where the heat is generated. The Tcase temperature must be cooler than the silicon temperature because the heat is being removed through the heatspreader & heat must flow from a higher temperature in the silicon layer to a lower temperature in the heatspeader or "case".

So then what is the "CPU" temperature? Motherboard makers have been planting thermal sensors in & under & around cpu sockets for many years before cpus contained any internal sensors. These MB sensors have usually been quite unreliable. I claim the MB makers are still at it, giving us unreliable temperature reports. What is the MB "CPU" temperature? It is garbage out. Not related to "Tcase" or "Tjunction". Not to be trusted for anything.

But I would be interested to hear about cpu temperature reports by other motherboards, as compared to TAT for example, and any reports by MB makers as to just what it is they are reporting to us as "CPU" temperature.

BOTTOM LINE

It is "Tcase", the temperature at the outside center of the heatspreader, that must be controlled to ensure that the cpu will work for its design life, but there are no known sensors that provide this information. It is only obtainable by the thermal design engineer based on detailed heat transfer calculations or measurements. But I think there is one thing we do know about "Tcase". It must be lower than the highest temperature in the silicon layer of the cpu because heat must flow "downhill" from the silicon to the heatspreader to get out. I think the thermal sensors that are placed in the silicon layer by Intel & reported as "Core temp" by TAT are near the high temperature regions in the silicon. So it looks safe to me to assume that if all Core temperatures are within the specs given by Intel for Tcase then the cpu is safe.

In other words:

If we observe from TAT reports that Tcore<TcaseSPEC
and we know that Tcase<Tcore because heat flows downhill,

Then we are safe in concluding that Tcase < TcaseSPEC, so Tcase is within specs.

All the above is purely opinion of course. No warranty is expressed or implied. Read at your own risk.

Walt

Nephalim

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Newbie here..

I have a QX6700 - overclocked it for a short while to 3.0ghz - idle temp went up 4.0c.
At standard speed CPU runs 24.0c idle - on full load with all 4 cores at 100pct - 33.0c. MB temps are around 3.oc higher all round.

These temps are taken using Asus AI software.

I've just built this PC

Antec 900 Gaming Case - additional 12" fan
QX6700 Extreme CPU
Zalman 9700 LED Nvidia Cooler
Asus Commando MB
2gb A-Data Vitesta Extreme 1066
XFX 8800 GTX Graphics Card
WD Raptor X
WD 320GB Sata II

I'm pleased with it - it does the job!

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Just at the time I gave up on my post it comes alive.. 8O

Nice detail post there... :wink:

Like I always thought and to keep it simple, is that the Tcase temperature is the one at the head-spreader. And the Tjunction the real temperature in the core.

Intel gives 65°C for Max Tcase for the quad-core. So yes, if your core temperatures are lower then this at full load, you are 100% safe. But this isn't with me. They easely go up to 80°C at full load.

Now Core-Temp says that the Tjunction is 100°C. So 80°C would be warm but still safe, if core-temp is correct.

I don't understand that formula to calculate the Tjunction that you gave me, so sry about that. But the question remains, is Core Temp correct?

Does that program TAT give a maximum? I can't run that on my nVidia board.

Aivas47a

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Kibosh, I've been wondering about this question too. I don't have a definitive answer but I do not believe you should rely on the data shown in CoreTemp as indicating that 100C is a safe temperature.

According to the Intel spec sheets the max recommended Tcase temp for the QX6700 appears to be 64.5C:

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31559202.pdf

Based on the other posts/links in this thread, I don't see how Tjunction could be 100C with Tcase under 65C.

Kibosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Kibosh, I've been wondering about this question too. I don't have a definitive answer but I do not believe you should rely on the data shown in CoreTemp as indicating that 100C is a safe temperature.

According to the Intel spec sheets the max recommended Tcase temp for the QX6700 appears to be 64.5C:

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31559202.pdf

Based on the other posts/links in this thread, I don't see how Tjunction could be 100C with Tcase under 65C.

:lol: I keep running into to you all the time :lol: ... It's a small world

Hey Avias. I know because that's why I posted here. Because they made that good temperature guide for the dual-core, I thought I try my luck and ask about the quad-core. Untill now, still no answer about that. I've read somewhere in the beginning that the quad came out, it was build to handle higher temps... Now just to find out how much higher.

I've looked at many place. No real google result on this one. I've even been on german forums. The problem was I can just understand a little of that language. I saw temps around 85°C but I couldn't figure out it was an idiot or he knew what he was doing :wink:

My cpu isn't overclocked, still running at 2.66GHz and Prime95 makes it hit 80°C in Core-Temp. I've already ordered some new AS5 and I will remount the Zalman but still. I don't think I will gain much by remounting the zalman and 80°C is a lott. Luckely for gaming it doesn't get to that level, but I want to overclock also. Hopefully Coolit doesn't take to long with creating that Freezone version for the Quad-Core cpu's.

I'm really a bit stuck about that cpu temperature thing. It surely not the temperature in the case. MB stays below 29°C all time. Let's hope the zalman was mounted incorrectly at the shop, and I will do it correctly when the AS5 arrives. :wink:

For the rest my rig is running great. You had your hand into that also, thx. Only another more quite psu with all correct connections and those cpu temps down, and everything is perfect. Man, I learned a lot latest 2 months... :wink: