Load drivers during install without floppy

Mike

Splendid

I have a server here without a floppy drive. It is using a SCSI hard drive
that Windows cannot detect during the install process. I do have the
drivers, but I do not know how I can get them to be used during the install.
Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mike

Splendid

Edit: Posted too quickly before and forgot the version. This is for Windows
2003 Standard. The drivers are for an Adaptec SCSI controller.

> Edit: Posted too quickly before and forgot the version. This is for
Windows
> 2003 Standard. The drivers are for an Adaptec SCSI controller.
>

> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > I have a server here without a floppy drive. It is using a SCSI hard
drive
> > that Windows cannot detect during the install process. I do have the
> > drivers, but I do not know how I can get them to be used during the
install.
> > Can somebody point me in the right direction?
> >
> > Thanks

I would buy a floppy disk drive. They are dirt cheap.

Mike

Splendid

I did try to put a floppy drive into the server, but it would not recognize
the drive at all. No matter what settings I changed in the BIOS, it would
always show the FD as failed. Since I do not need a floppy drive in this
server once it has been installed, I figured I would look for a way around it.

I have tried using a USB floppy, but Windows will not look for the driver
there (even though the box will boot from the USB floppy drive). I also
tried adding the drivers to the install CD using nLite, but that still did
not work. I am just looking for other ways that I can try at this point.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Edit: Posted too quickly before and forgot the version. This is for
> Windows
> > 2003 Standard. The drivers are for an Adaptec SCSI controller.
> >

> > "Mike" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a server here without a floppy drive. It is using a SCSI hard
> drive
> > > that Windows cannot detect during the install process. I do have the
> > > drivers, but I do not know how I can get them to be used during the
> install.
> > > Can somebody point me in the right direction?
> > >
> > > Thanks
>
> I would buy a floppy disk drive. They are dirt cheap.

- Did the BIOS recognise the floppy disk drive?
- If yes, did you try to boot the server with a Win9x boot disk
(www.bootdisk.com) do work out if the problem lies with
Win2000 or with the hardware?
- If no, did you try a different floppy disk drive?
- Did you make sure to use the correct connector on the
ribbon cable? It's the one that has a few wires crossed over.

> I did try to put a floppy drive into the server, but it would not
recognize
> the drive at all. No matter what settings I changed in the BIOS, it would
> always show the FD as failed. Since I do not need a floppy drive in this
> server once it has been installed, I figured I would look for a way around
it.

> I have tried using a USB floppy, but Windows will not look for the driver
> there (even though the box will boot from the USB floppy drive). I also
> tried adding the drivers to the install CD using nLite, but that still did
> not work. I am just looking for other ways that I can try at this point.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Edit: Posted too quickly before and forgot the version. This is for
> > Windows
> > > 2003 Standard. The drivers are for an Adaptec SCSI controller.

> > drive
> > install.

> > I would buy a floppy disk drive. They are dirt cheap.

Mike

Splendid

Thanks for getting back to me.

No, the BIOS did not recognize the fd. I tried 3 different drives to make
sure. Yep, using the correct cable.

I was able to get the server to boot off of a floppy using the USB floppy
drive, but I do not have install floppies for Win2K3 and couldn't find a
reference to them anywhere. I am still trying to add the drivers to the CD
to see if I can get that to work.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> - Did the BIOS recognise the floppy disk drive?
> - If yes, did you try to boot the server with a Win9x boot disk
> (www.bootdisk.com) do work out if the problem lies with
> Win2000 or with the hardware?
> - If no, did you try a different floppy disk drive?
> - Did you make sure to use the correct connector on the
> ribbon cable? It's the one that has a few wires crossed over.
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I did try to put a floppy drive into the server, but it would not
> recognize
> > the drive at all. No matter what settings I changed in the BIOS, it would
> > always show the FD as failed. Since I do not need a floppy drive in this
> > server once it has been installed, I figured I would look for a way around
> it.
> >
> > I have tried using a USB floppy, but Windows will not look for the driver
> > there (even though the box will boot from the USB floppy drive). I also
> > tried adding the drivers to the install CD using nLite, but that still did
> > not work. I am just looking for other ways that I can try at this point.
> >

> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Windows

> hard
> > > drive
> the
> > > install.

> > > I would buy a floppy disk drive. They are dirt cheap.

This link may help.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/fdad69c3-4917-4f93-a709-29460c134a56.mspx

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike" wrote:
|I have a server here without a floppy drive. It is using a SCSI hard drive
| that Windows cannot detect during the install process. I do have the
| drivers, but I do not know how I can get them to be used during the
install.
| Can somebody point me in the right direction?
|
| Thanks

Latest posts