Load drivers during install without floppy

I have a server here without a floppy drive. It is using a SCSI hard drive
that Windows cannot detect during the install process. I do have the
drivers, but I do not know how I can get them to be used during the install.
Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about load drivers install floppy

    Edit: Posted too quickly before and forgot the version. This is for Windows
    2003 Standard. The drivers are for an Adaptec SCSI controller.

    > Edit: Posted too quickly before and forgot the version. This is for
    Windows
    > 2003 Standard. The drivers are for an Adaptec SCSI controller.
    >

    > "Mike" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a server here without a floppy drive. It is using a SCSI hard
    drive
    > > that Windows cannot detect during the install process. I do have the
    > > drivers, but I do not know how I can get them to be used during the
    install.
    > > Can somebody point me in the right direction?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    I would buy a floppy disk drive. They are dirt cheap.

    I did try to put a floppy drive into the server, but it would not recognize
    the drive at all. No matter what settings I changed in the BIOS, it would
    always show the FD as failed. Since I do not need a floppy drive in this
    server once it has been installed, I figured I would look for a way around it.

    I have tried using a USB floppy, but Windows will not look for the driver
    there (even though the box will boot from the USB floppy drive). I also
    tried adding the drivers to the install CD using nLite, but that still did
    not work. I am just looking for other ways that I can try at this point.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Edit: Posted too quickly before and forgot the version. This is for
    > Windows
    > > 2003 Standard. The drivers are for an Adaptec SCSI controller.
    > >

    > > "Mike" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a server here without a floppy drive. It is using a SCSI hard
    > drive
    > > > that Windows cannot detect during the install process. I do have the
    > > > drivers, but I do not know how I can get them to be used during the
    > install.
    > > > Can somebody point me in the right direction?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    >
    > I would buy a floppy disk drive. They are dirt cheap.

    - Did the BIOS recognise the floppy disk drive?
    - If yes, did you try to boot the server with a Win9x boot disk
    (www.bootdisk.com) do work out if the problem lies with
    Win2000 or with the hardware?
    - If no, did you try a different floppy disk drive?
    - Did you make sure to use the correct connector on the
    ribbon cable? It's the one that has a few wires crossed over.

    > I did try to put a floppy drive into the server, but it would not
    recognize
    > the drive at all. No matter what settings I changed in the BIOS, it would
    > always show the FD as failed. Since I do not need a floppy drive in this
    > server once it has been installed, I figured I would look for a way around
    it.

    > I have tried using a USB floppy, but Windows will not look for the driver
    > there (even though the box will boot from the USB floppy drive). I also
    > tried adding the drivers to the install CD using nLite, but that still did
    > not work. I am just looking for other ways that I can try at this point.
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Edit: Posted too quickly before and forgot the version. This is for
    > > Windows
    > > > 2003 Standard. The drivers are for an Adaptec SCSI controller.

    > > drive
    > > install.

    > > I would buy a floppy disk drive. They are dirt cheap.

    Thanks for getting back to me.

    No, the BIOS did not recognize the fd. I tried 3 different drives to make
    sure. Yep, using the correct cable.

    I was able to get the server to boot off of a floppy using the USB floppy
    drive, but I do not have install floppies for Win2K3 and couldn't find a
    reference to them anywhere. I am still trying to add the drivers to the CD
    to see if I can get that to work.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > - Did the BIOS recognise the floppy disk drive?
    > - If yes, did you try to boot the server with a Win9x boot disk
    > (www.bootdisk.com) do work out if the problem lies with
    > Win2000 or with the hardware?
    > - If no, did you try a different floppy disk drive?
    > - Did you make sure to use the correct connector on the
    > ribbon cable? It's the one that has a few wires crossed over.
    >

    > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I did try to put a floppy drive into the server, but it would not
    > recognize
    > > the drive at all. No matter what settings I changed in the BIOS, it would
    > > always show the FD as failed. Since I do not need a floppy drive in this
    > > server once it has been installed, I figured I would look for a way around
    > it.
    > >
    > > I have tried using a USB floppy, but Windows will not look for the driver
    > > there (even though the box will boot from the USB floppy drive). I also
    > > tried adding the drivers to the install CD using nLite, but that still did
    > > not work. I am just looking for other ways that I can try at this point.
    > >

    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >

    > > > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Windows

    > hard
    > > > drive
    > the
    > > > install.

    > > > I would buy a floppy disk drive. They are dirt cheap.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    This link may help.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/fdad69c3-4917-4f93-a709-29460c134a56.mspx

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Mike" wrote:
    |I have a server here without a floppy drive. It is using a SCSI hard drive
    | that Windows cannot detect during the install process. I do have the
    | drivers, but I do not know how I can get them to be used during the
    install.
    | Can somebody point me in the right direction?
    |
    | Thanks

Floppy Disk Drivers Windows