Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't start task scheduler

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 26, 2005 1:53:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

win2k3 server std edition
brandy new install that was messed up by the first guy and now I must
fix it !

From the event log

>Event Type: Error
>Event Source: Service Control Manager
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 7023
>Date: 5/25/2005
>Time: 9:05:09 PM
>User: N/A
>Computer: SERVER-1
>Description:
>The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
>The parameter is incorrect.
>
>For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

First discovered when I saw that backups weren't being done. Mighty
searching has revealed nothing (to me at least).

Anybody have any ideas ?

Thanks,
Denis

More about : start task scheduler

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:53:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Make sure it starts with the system account.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223375

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Denis" wrote:
| win2k3 server std edition
| brandy new install that was messed up by the first guy and now I must
| fix it !
|
| From the event log
|
| >Event Type: Error
| >Event Source: Service Control Manager
| >Event Category: None
| >Event ID: 7023
| >Date: 5/25/2005
| >Time: 9:05:09 PM
| >User: N/A
| >Computer: SERVER-1
| >Description:
| >The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
| >The parameter is incorrect.
| >
| >For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
|
| First discovered when I saw that backups weren't being done. Mighty
| searching has revealed nothing (to me at least).
|
| Anybody have any ideas ?
|
| Thanks,
| Denis
|
May 26, 2005 10:15:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi Dave,

While the symptoms are very similar I think that this is a
different problem, I should of told you more. The simple fact of
starting the task scheduler itself fails. Starting it in the Services
admin tool results in the "parameter incorrect" error. Is this
different than what the KB artical calls out ?

Many thanks for your help with this Dave,
Denis

On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:01:37 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
<mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

>Make sure it starts with the system account.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223375
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Denis" wrote:
>| win2k3 server std edition
>| brandy new install that was messed up by the first guy and now I must
>| fix it !
>|
>| From the event log
>|
>| >Event Type: Error
>| >Event Source: Service Control Manager
>| >Event Category: None
>| >Event ID: 7023
>| >Date: 5/25/2005
>| >Time: 9:05:09 PM
>| >User: N/A
>| >Computer: SERVER-1
>| >Description:
>| >The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
>| >The parameter is incorrect.
>| >
>| >For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>|
>| First discovered when I saw that backups weren't being done. Mighty
>| searching has revealed nothing (to me at least).
>|
>| Anybody have any ideas ?
>|
>| Thanks,
>| Denis
>|
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:59:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Sorry, I meant to make sure the 'Task Scheduler' service is set to start
using the local system account credentials and 'Allow service to interact
with desktop' is checked. Also delete any tasks as they may be corrupt.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Denis" wrote:
| Hi Dave,
|
| While the symptoms are very similar I think that this is a
| different problem, I should of told you more. The simple fact of
| starting the task scheduler itself fails. Starting it in the Services
| admin tool results in the "parameter incorrect" error. Is this
| different than what the KB artical calls out ?
|
| Many thanks for your help with this Dave,
| Denis
May 31, 2005 12:54:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi Dave,

Could you tell me how to check that the service is set to
start using the local system account credentials ? Also, will I see
the options for 'allow service to interact with desktop' ?

Many thanks,
Denis

On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:59:05 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
<mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

>Sorry, I meant to make sure the 'Task Scheduler' service is set to start
>using the local system account credentials and 'Allow service to interact
>with desktop' is checked. Also delete any tasks as they may be corrupt.
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Denis" wrote:
>| Hi Dave,
>|
>| While the symptoms are very similar I think that this is a
>| different problem, I should of told you more. The simple fact of
>| starting the task scheduler itself fails. Starting it in the Services
>| admin tool results in the "parameter incorrect" error. Is this
>| different than what the KB artical calls out ?
>|
>| Many thanks for your help with this Dave,
>| Denis
>
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:54:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Start|Run|services.msc then 'Task Scheduler'|Properties|Log On

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Denis" wrote:
| Hi Dave,
|
| Could you tell me how to check that the service is set to
| start using the local system account credentials ? Also, will I see
| the options for 'allow service to interact with desktop' ?
|
| Many thanks,
| Denis
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:26:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I'm having a similar problem, but the Task Shceduler service is set to logon
as the local system account and 'allow service to interact with the desktop'
is checked.

I've copied the registry key for the schedule service from another box, and
I've copied the schedsvc.dll file from another box as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Sorry, I meant to make sure the 'Task Scheduler' service is set to start
> using the local system account credentials and 'Allow service to interact
> with desktop' is checked. Also delete any tasks as they may be corrupt.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Denis" wrote:
> | Hi Dave,
> |
> | While the symptoms are very similar I think that this is a
> | different problem, I should of told you more. The simple fact of
> | starting the task scheduler itself fails. Starting it in the Services
> | admin tool results in the "parameter incorrect" error. Is this
> | different than what the KB artical calls out ?
> |
> | Many thanks for your help with this Dave,
> | Denis
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

What exactly is the problem?

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Matt G." wrotr:
| I'm having a similar problem, but the Task Shceduler service is set to
logon
| as the local system account and 'allow service to interact with the
desktop'
| is checked.
|
| I've copied the registry key for the schedule service from another box,
and
| I've copied the schedsvc.dll file from another box as well.
|
| Does anyone have a suggestion?
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:28:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

When I try to start the task scheduler, it fails with an error 87 "The
parameter is incorrect" and that's all I get.

I removed all the jobs from the tasks folder, and replaced the task
scheduler dll files in the system32 directory from another (near duplicate)
box.

Thanks for helping out,
Matt.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What exactly is the problem?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Matt G." wrotr:
> | I'm having a similar problem, but the Task Shceduler service is set to
> logon
> | as the local system account and 'allow service to interact with the
> desktop'
> | is checked.
> |
> | I've copied the registry key for the schedule service from another box,
> and
> | I've copied the schedsvc.dll file from another box as well.
> |
> | Does anyone have a suggestion?
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:42:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

When you view the logged events in Event Viewer (double-click them in the
right-hand pane) in the upper right corner, third button down is a copy to
clipboard, then you can paste in the body of a reply message.

Please do so for each of the different System Log events (that are a Type:
'Error' or 'Warning') since last boot so we can see all of the event detail.


--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Matt G." wrote:
| When I try to start the task scheduler, it fails with an error 87 "The
| parameter is incorrect" and that's all I get.
|
| I removed all the jobs from the tasks folder, and replaced the task
| scheduler dll files in the system32 directory from another (near
duplicate)
| box.
|
| Thanks for helping out,
| Matt.
!