Win2000 hangs in install while checking hardware?

Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 29, 2005 6:00:42 PM

I'm in the process of rebuilding my desktop pc and I had some issues
with the old drive (too much data) and install... some dlls were missing
and the drive was getting flaky when I tried to clean it up. So I
bought a fresh new 40 gig drive and proceeded to start over, thinking
once I get it running, I'll pull any useful files off the old drive and
then reformat that as a slave.

So, the problem is, the system is hanging in the install, telling me to
wait while "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..." and it
never gets past that point.

I formatted the HDD with a W98 boot floppy, did the fdisk, then
formatted the HDD. The machine boots, recognizes the fact that there's
a HDD, CDROM, and Floppy, and asks me if I want to boot from the CD.
Wouldn't that be the logical choice? So I hit Enter and then I get the
message. Tried this numerous times, even left it alone for 3 hours...
no change, black screen with that silly message.

I removed all PCI cards except my video card (AGP), and checked my
memory in a identical Soyo Dragon motherboard system... (my son's) and
it works fine on its own or as added memory. I've tried moving the
memory from slot 1 to slot 3 and no change. Should I reformat the drive
on another machine and try to install the W2K OS that way, or is there
a way to extract the files off the CD and copy them to the HDD-0?

I'm also wondering... should my boot sequence be Floppy, then HDD-0,
then CD? And I'm also wondering if I should try leaving the boot floppy
in the A: drive and maybe there's a way to either boot the CD from the
floppy or possibly copy some key startup files from the CD to the root
drive. Note that my old HDD drive isn't connected, and for kicks, I
tried it only to get the error on the dlls again.

Its been so long since I did a fresh install of W2K that I may be
missing something obvious, so I'd appreciate a nudge in the right
direction. Even a shove :) . Thanks in advance for any/all help!

More about : win2000 hangs install checking hardware

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 6:00:43 PM

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike" wrote:
| I'm in the process of rebuilding my desktop pc and I had some issues
| with the old drive (too much data) and install... some dlls were missing
| and the drive was getting flaky when I tried to clean it up. So I
| bought a fresh new 40 gig drive and proceeded to start over, thinking
| once I get it running, I'll pull any useful files off the old drive and
| then reformat that as a slave.
|
| So, the problem is, the system is hanging in the install, telling me to
| wait while "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..." and it
| never gets past that point.
|
| I formatted the HDD with a W98 boot floppy, did the fdisk, then
| formatted the HDD. The machine boots, recognizes the fact that there's
| a HDD, CDROM, and Floppy, and asks me if I want to boot from the CD.
| Wouldn't that be the logical choice? So I hit Enter and then I get the
| message. Tried this numerous times, even left it alone for 3 hours...
| no change, black screen with that silly message.
|
| I removed all PCI cards except my video card (AGP), and checked my
| memory in a identical Soyo Dragon motherboard system... (my son's) and
| it works fine on its own or as added memory. I've tried moving the
| memory from slot 1 to slot 3 and no change. Should I reformat the drive
| on another machine and try to install the W2K OS that way, or is there
| a way to extract the files off the CD and copy them to the HDD-0?
|
| I'm also wondering... should my boot sequence be Floppy, then HDD-0,
| then CD? And I'm also wondering if I should try leaving the boot floppy
| in the A: drive and maybe there's a way to either boot the CD from the
| floppy or possibly copy some key startup files from the CD to the root
| drive. Note that my old HDD drive isn't connected, and for kicks, I
| tried it only to get the error on the dlls again.
|
| Its been so long since I did a fresh install of W2K that I may be
| missing something obvious, so I'd appreciate a nudge in the right
| direction. Even a shove :) . Thanks in advance for any/all help!
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 7:37:46 PM

Mike wrote:

> I'm also wondering... should my boot sequence be Floppy, then HDD-0,
> then CD?

Mine isn't. It's Floppy, then CD, then HDD-0 which
works fine for me.

I've never understood the Floppy/HDD-0/CD boot
sequence option. Seems to me that if you have a
bootable HDD-0 (typical is most cases I would
think) you would never get as far as booting from
the CD.
Related resources
May 30, 2005 11:08:42 PM

Dave Patrick wrote:
> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
> disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
> CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
> makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
> prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
> ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
> setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
> inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
> and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
> insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
> controller in drive "A"
>
> If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
> late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
> resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

Dave...

Bad keystroke on my laptop... sorry about that. The machine refuses to
boot from the CD, I get that message when it checks your hardware:

Disk I/O error: status=00001000
NT detect failed

For kicks, I took the drive over to another machine and installed W2K on
it just to the point where I haven't installed drivers or started
networking. So my drive is fine, my memory is fine, I removed all PCI
cards, and then I tried hooking up the same drive to the problem PC and
I get the same error, and of course... it won't boot regardless of the
bios setup for boot sequence.

Mike
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:08:43 PM

Looks like your hardware may not be compatible with Windows 2000. Look for
an updated bios and or a controller driver.

--

!