adding SATA dirve to IDE system

I have an 80 GB IDE hard drive w/ WIn2K on it. I am trying to add a SATA
250 GB drive to the system. The motherboard (Asus A7N8X) has SATA headers,
and the jumper is set to enable. The BIOS appears to recognize the new
SATA drive, since it lists the size in the booting info it puts on the
screen before Windows loads. However, Windows doesn't find new hardware,
even when I tell it to search, and Disk Management doesn't list the drive.
When I add the same drive to another Win2K system that has a SATA drive as
the primary drive, Win 2K finds it immediately, so it doesn't seem to be a
problem in the drive.
Anyone know the solution?

dl

try not to multipost, adds to the confussion
and we cannot see responses posted from other ng