paging file too small

MikeBo

I have a big problem with Win2K. I had decided to update to WinXP and wanted
to save all files to a separate hard disk before attempting to upgrade. Win2K
did not recognize the additional hard disk and then developed a problem with
the paging file: I can boot the system and get to the login prompt.
Immediately afterwards I get a message that the "paging file is missing or
too small". I found a document on the MS web site that correctly describes
the problem (document 812448). However, the solution at some point says "copy
the system file from A to B". Problem: I don't have that "system" file, only
a "system.bak" file. I used that, but now Win2K goes into an intallation and
configuration routine.
There are several additional steps I am supposed to follow to fix the
problem, but with Windws going into a configuration routine, I am afraid that
it will destroy watever setup I had. Do I continue with the configuration and
then continue following the steps in the document, or will I lose my previous
configuration?

mike

This article may help.

Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
;249321]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mikebo" <mikebo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a big problem with Win2K. I had decided to update to WinXP and
wanted
> to save all files to a separate hard disk before attempting to upgrade.
Win2K
> did not recognize the additional hard disk and then developed a problem
with
> the paging file: I can boot the system and get to the login prompt.
> Immediately afterwards I get a message that the "paging file is missing or
> too small". I found a document on the MS web site that correctly describes
> the problem (document 812448). However, the solution at some point says
"copy
> the system file from A to B". Problem: I don't have that "system" file,
only
> a "system.bak" file. I used that, but now Win2K goes into an intallation
and
> configuration routine.
> There are several additional steps I am supposed to follow to fix the
> problem, but with Windws going into a configuration routine, I am afraid
that
> it will destroy watever setup I had. Do I continue with the configuration
and
> then continue following the steps in the document, or will I lose my
previous
> configuration?
>
> mike

Your problem is well known. It is not so much that the paging file is too
small but rather that the system drive letter has changed. This often
happens when cloning disks. Windows is now running off the wrong
drive letter, and it cannot place the paging file on drive C: because
there is no drive C:.

The solution depends on your setup. What applies to your configuration:
- Is the machine networked?
- Do you have another Win2000/XP PC nearby?
- Do you have a Bart PE boot disk?
- Do you have a spare disk lying about?