My OCed 7600GS just blew the fuse for 2 rooms and fried my

Mike51

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
PSU. It was OCed to 550/428. I had a 300 watt Enlight PSU. I'm using a spare PSU from an old PC, 250 watts, can't play games or anything demanding. Now, if I get a 400watt or 500watt PSU, would the fuse for my room get fried ever again? I heard a quick burst after playing Oblvion for a couple of hours, then all my plugs shut off. Was the PSU fine, just that the plug outlet couldn't handle it? OR was the outlet fine, just that the quick burst from my PSU frying cause the room's fuse to fry?

Mike51

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Ok, I just did some research and the fuse fried because my PSU caused a big surge when it fried.

"A 15 amp outlet (or circuit) will supply 1800w of power. The formula is Amps X Volts = Wattage.

15 X 120 = 1800"

There is no way my PC was using 1800w.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Do you mean that you tripped the breaker? Sounds like old wiring to me. Were you using a portable heater, or wall AC unit? I seriously doubt it was your OCed GPU. Even a hair dryer would do it, but not your PC.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
The formula is amps divided by voltage (12 volts / 300 watts). Your not using more than 25 amps at once. Sounds like you triped the breaker as kaotao said. A wall circut can supply more than 2000 watts. It's a freak accident if you PSU backfired into the circut.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Im oc'd at 525/475 with my 7600gs and have a generic 300W power supply and have not had that happen. It has been in with the overclocking for 2 weeks now.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
My computer room was tripping cirucits also. When I started remodeling I had newer outlets with newer wiring however it was added using wiremold (the squarish conduit to run wires on outside of wall). However the connection to that was old pre-1960's flexible conduit with the cloth and asphalt insulation. In the junction box I noticed that some of the wire was actually exposed. After correcting this and rewirieng the whole room with 10 gauge wire hooked up to a 30 amp breaker I have not had a problem since. Yea its a little overkill but I have probally hit the 20 amp mark a couple of times with all the stuff I have had going. Espically in the summer with the window unit.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
That is why we keep crying out loud, that a PSU is a very important part in a PC, that gets constantly neglected. Get a high quality (branded) PSU, which is at least 400W for todays computers. Also make sure it has Active Power Correction and protection circuits, so you can save on your energy bills and prevent damage to either the computer, or other appliances connected in your house.

As a general rule of thumb, you can judge a PSU's build quality by its weight. The heavier the better. The reason is due to its heavier capacitors and bigger heatsinks.

When overclocking expect your system's power draw to increase exponentialy and not linearly, hence extra caution and cooling.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
I do agree with darkguset. I am on borrowed time with my existing power supply. I know one day I will go to use my computer and it will start exibiting problems that will relate to the power supply.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
A 15 amp outlet (or circuit) will supply 1800w of power. The formula is Amps X Volts = Wattage.
Dude, you've got a bigger problem if your outlets are on a 15 amp breaker -- should be 20 for wall outlets. I've had half a dozen computers with monitors and sound on one 20 amp circuit, and the only time the fuse blows is when I turn on the microwave, (duh -- still haven't learned), or on the rare occasion when a PSU has actually shorted-out -- which is what the breaker is for.

dude_here

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
My computer room was tripping cirucits also. When I started remodeling I had newer outlets with newer wiring however it was added using wiremold (the squarish conduit to run wires on outside of wall). However the connection to that was old pre-1960's flexible conduit with the cloth and asphalt insulation. In the junction box I noticed that some of the wire was actually exposed. After correcting this and rewirieng the whole room with 10 gauge wire hooked up to a 30 amp breaker I have not had a problem since. Yea its a little overkill but I have probally hit the 20 amp mark a couple of times with all the stuff I have had going. Espically in the summer with the window unit.

That's not even legal, nor is it safe! I'm a journeyman electrician and must ask you to change that to a 20 amp breaker immediately!

dude_here

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Espically in the summer with the window unit.

Never in a million years would I put a PC on the same circuit as an air conditioner... microwave... anything that uses that much power.

Bad idea...

Ditto. electric ovens, microwaver, hair dryers, electric engines, refrigerators... you get the picture. None of that should be in the same circuit as a computer.

About the OP: maybe if the wiring is too old, too thin or even if the wire length from the PC to the circuit breaker is too long, that might have caused the fuse to blow.

That is possible. Heat and load (current being drawn) from all devices on that circuit is probably what did it in. What he should have done is run a dedicated 20 amp circuit in #12 wire to his computer station, a seperate 15 or 20 amp circuit to all other general purpose outlets (plugs and/or lighting) and a dedicated 15 or 20 amp circuit to his ac unit. Legal under National Electrical Code (NEC) and local codes, very safe and standard wiring practice, and not a fire hazard. Additionally, it limits the available current to all devices on those circuits to what they are rated for. Anything above their rating is DANGEROUS!!! as well as foolish. Electricity is not something you EVER want to be careless with. And please know this is not a knock or flame on the OP, just a safety lesson.

dude_here

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
That's not even legal, nor is it safe! I'm a journeyman electrician and must ask you to change that to a 20 amp breaker immediately!

Well first things first, he need to install a web cam so we can watch the electrical fires. :twisted:

Neat...

Also make sure you have some micro-wave popcorn ready! you won't even need a microwave oven to make them!

Jeez man, just tryin to help him not burn his house down. :roll: Sorry I bothered to care at all.

cleeve

Illustrious
You're new here guy, so let me tell you a little secret: we kid around sometimes.

It's alright, try not to take it personally. It makes foruming fun.

Nobody really wants the poster to die in a fire. Honest! :)

Jeez man, just tryin to help him not burn his house down. :roll: Sorry I bothered to care at all.

DUDE! No worries man! I agree with you completely, just having some light hearted fun in that it's more fun to pretend to watch the people harm themselves than help them out, that's why more people watch America's Funniest Home Immolations rather than Bob Vila. :wink:

You offered Good advice; we just like to pepper it with some self-inflicted wounds. :twisted:
Still gets the point out there, but then we can also have a laugh at his expense, not yours.

BTW, working for the phone company as a network designer I work with journeymen all the time, and so I thought you'd appreciate the humour, but obviously wrong vibe.

Peave, Love and Lectricution! 8)

PS, former IBEW here. :wink:

dude_here

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Oh ok then. :oops: Wasn't quite sure how to take that, but now that that's cleared up, that IS funny! :lol:

I, as an electrician, am licensed to protect life and property, and I guess I didn't get the joke. D'OH!

Well, it is nice to be accepted here, and I like to have fun just like the next guy! What telco do ya work for BTW?

A candian company with all the primates.

Here's my portrait on my security card;

imgc3zf4.gif

:twisted: