Location of Server Comments

We're having a tough time with users becoming confused when they browse the
network and see server names with a comment in parentheses. For example, one
of our servers has a comment that is the name of our network admin who left
two years ago.

You can also see the comment by right-clicking on the server and choosing
Properties.

How can I change the comment in Windows 2000 Server?
2 answers Last reply
More about location server comments

    A few of ways to do this:

    From the command line
    net config server /srvcomment:"string"
    (Setting this from the command line may turn off auto tuning for the server
    service.)

    Right-click My Computer, "Manage", right-click "Computer Management(local)",
    Properties|Network Identification|Description

    Server Manager (in the resource kit)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Scott" wrote:
    | We're having a tough time with users becoming confused when they browse
    the
    | network and see server names with a comment in parentheses. For example,
    one
    | of our servers has a comment that is the name of our network admin who
    left
    | two years ago.
    |
    | You can also see the comment by right-clicking on the server and choosing
    | Properties.
    |
    | How can I change the comment in Windows 2000 Server?

    Edit local/remote registry at
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\lanmanserver\parameters, REG_SZ value 'srvcomment'.

Windows 2000 Microsoft Servers Windows