  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 3, 2005 6:16:01 PM

We're having a tough time with users becoming confused when they browse the
network and see server names with a comment in parentheses. For example, one
of our servers has a comment that is the name of our network admin who left
two years ago.

You can also see the comment by right-clicking on the server and choosing
Properties.

How can I change the comment in Windows 2000 Server?

More about : location server comments

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:12:04 AM

A few of ways to do this:

From the command line
net config server /srvcomment:"string"
(Setting this from the command line may turn off auto tuning for the server
service.)

Right-click My Computer, "Manage", right-click "Computer Management(local)",
Properties|Network Identification|Description

Server Manager (in the resource kit)

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Scott" wrote:
| We're having a tough time with users becoming confused when they browse
the
| network and see server names with a comment in parentheses. For example,
one
| of our servers has a comment that is the name of our network admin who
left
| two years ago.
|
| You can also see the comment by right-clicking on the server and choosing
| Properties.
|
| How can I change the comment in Windows 2000 Server?
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:51:42 PM

Edit local/remote registry at
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\lanmanserver\parameters, REG_SZ value 'srvcomment'.
!