Upgrading from Win98SE to Win2k

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from Win98SE to Win2k. I selected the recommended
"upgrade" rather than the new installation.

During the "Perforing Final Tasks" it get stuck at the "Upgrades program
and system settings". It gets part of the way through and then reboots
and starts the final process over. It never gets to the "Saves settings"
nor to the "Removes any temporary files used" sections.

I left the process running overnight and it still hasn't finished. If I
reboot the computer it restarts the installation process where it left
off and never completes. How do I complete the installation?

Thanks in advance,
-computerguy
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrading win98se win2k

    "computerguy" <computerguy394-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade from Win98SE to Win2k. I selected the recommended
    > "upgrade" rather than the new installation.
    >
    > During the "Perforing Final Tasks" it get stuck at the "Upgrades program
    > and system settings". It gets part of the way through and then reboots
    > and starts the final process over. It never gets to the "Saves settings"
    > nor to the "Removes any temporary files used" sections.
    >
    > I left the process running overnight and it still hasn't finished. If I
    > reboot the computer it restarts the installation process where it left
    > off and never completes. How do I complete the installation?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > -computerguy

    While an upgrade from Win98 to Win2000 is possible, you would
    end up with a far more robust and stable installation if you did a clean
    installation. Win2000 is radically different rom Win98 and the upgrade
    involves numerous compromises. Furthermore, your Win98 installation
    may have programs or drivers installed that are incompatible with
    Win2000.

    So, given where I am now (stuck in a loop) how do I initiate a clean
    install? Whenever I reboot it starts up in the middle of the Setup. How
    do I get the prompt which allows me to select a clean install? Note
    that, if I select MSDOS then I don't see the CDROM.

    TIA,
    -computerguy

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > While an upgrade from Win98 to Win2000 is possible, you would
    > end up with a far more robust and stable installation if you did a clean
    > installation. Win2000 is radically different rom Win98 and the upgrade
    > involves numerous compromises. Furthermore, your Win98 installation
    > may have programs or drivers installed that are incompatible with
    > Win2000.

    "computerguy" <computerguy394-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade from Win98SE to Win2k. I selected the recommended
    > "upgrade" rather than the new installation.
    >
    > During the "Perforing Final Tasks" it get stuck at the "Upgrades program
    > and system settings". It gets part of the way through and then reboots
    > and starts the final process over. It never gets to the "Saves settings"
    > nor to the "Removes any temporary files used" sections.
    >
    > I left the process running overnight and it still hasn't finished. If I
    > reboot the computer it restarts the installation process where it left
    > off and never completes. How do I complete the installation?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > -computerguy

    Also: Either your PC clock or your time zone is incorrectly set.

    When you reboot the machine from your CD then you will
    see a brief prompt that says "Press any key to boo from
    the CD". This is what you need to do.

    Your best option would be to allow the installation
    process to format your hard disk. This means that you
    will have to restore your data files from backup.

    > So, given where I am now (stuck in a loop) how do I initiate a clean
    > install? Whenever I reboot it starts up in the middle of the Setup. How
    > do I get the prompt which allows me to select a clean install? Note
    > that, if I select MSDOS then I don't see the CDROM.
    >
    > TIA,
    > -computerguy
    >
    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > >
    > > While an upgrade from Win98 to Win2000 is possible, you would
    > > end up with a far more robust and stable installation if you did a clean
    > > installation. Win2000 is radically different rom Win98 and the upgrade
    > > involves numerous compromises. Furthermore, your Win98 installation
    > > may have programs or drivers installed that are incompatible with
    > > Win2000.

    Hi,

    I did that and it still went back into the middle of the Setup that was
    hanging. It never started a new installation. The fundamental problem is
    that the original upgrade installation never finished so the installer
    tries to complete it whenever the PC is rebooted.

    Is there a file/directory which tells the installer that an installation
    was in progress and needs to finish? If I delete that then maybe I will
    be able to start a new installation?

    TIA,
    -computerguy

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > When you reboot the machine from your CD then you will
    > see a brief prompt that says "Press any key to boo from
    > the CD". This is what you need to do.
    >
    > Your best option would be to allow the installation
    > process to format your hard disk. This means that you
    > will have to restore your data files from backup.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    You're not booting from the CD-Rom. Possibly set the boot order in cmos
    setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence. Also look for the keystroke (if
    necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom drive or check your mobo/pc
    manual for instructions or boot the setup disks.

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "computerguy" wrote:
    | Hi,
    |
    | I did that and it still went back into the middle of the Setup that was
    | hanging. It never started a new installation. The fundamental problem is
    | that the original upgrade installation never finished so the installer
    | tries to complete it whenever the PC is rebooted.
    |
    | Is there a file/directory which tells the installer that an installation
    | was in progress and needs to finish? If I delete that then maybe I will
    | be able to start a new installation?
    |
    | TIA,
    | -computerguy
    |
    | Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    | > When you reboot the machine from your CD then you will
    | > see a brief prompt that says "Press any key to boo from
    | > the CD". This is what you need to do.
    | >
    | > Your best option would be to allow the installation
    | > process to format your hard disk. This means that you
    | > will have to restore your data files from backup.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hello David,

    Thanks for your suggestion. I have now been able to perform a new
    install and the Win2k system seems to be working. I just have to add
    back all my applications.....

    By the way, I have a couple of final questions:
    1) When I power on I get a menu which asks whether I want to start
    Win2000 (twice, I presume because of the unsuccessful first install) and
    MSDOS. How do I delete the incorrect second menu item (Win2k) as well as
    suppress the entire menu appearing at bootup?

    2) Is it OK to delete the following directories:
    $WIN_NT$.~BT
    ~MSSETUP.T
    FOUND.000
    FOUND.001
    FOUND.002

    3) What about the WINDOWS (not WINNT) directory? Does that only have the
    previous Win98SE stuff? Can I delete this too?

    TIA,
    -computerguy

    Dave Patrick wrote:
    > You're not booting from the CD-Rom. Possibly set the boot order in cmos
    > setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence. Also look for the keystroke (if
    > necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom drive or check your mobo/pc
    > manual for instructions or boot the setup disks.
    >
    > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    > prompts.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    If you still have those files/ directories it sounds like you didn't follow
    the steps. IMO best to delete the partition and start over.

    --

    "computerguy" wrote:
    | Hello David,
    |
    | Thanks for your suggestion. I have now been able to perform a new
    | install and the Win2k system seems to be working. I just have to add
    | back all my applications.....
    |
    | By the way, I have a couple of final questions:
    | 1) When I power on I get a menu which asks whether I want to start
    | Win2000 (twice, I presume because of the unsuccessful first install) and
    | MSDOS. How do I delete the incorrect second menu item (Win2k) as well as
    | suppress the entire menu appearing at bootup?
    |
    | 2) Is it OK to delete the following directories:
    | $WIN_NT$.~BT
    | ~MSSETUP.T
    | FOUND.000
    | FOUND.001
    | FOUND.002
    |
    | 3) What about the WINDOWS (not WINNT) directory? Does that only have the
    | previous Win98SE stuff? Can I delete this too?
    |
    | TIA,
    | -computerguy

Microsoft Windows