Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading from Win98SE to Win2k

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:57:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from Win98SE to Win2k. I selected the recommended
"upgrade" rather than the new installation.

During the "Perforing Final Tasks" it get stuck at the "Upgrades program
and system settings". It gets part of the way through and then reboots
and starts the final process over. It never gets to the "Saves settings"
nor to the "Removes any temporary files used" sections.

I left the process running overnight and it still hasn't finished. If I
reboot the computer it restarts the installation process where it left
off and never completes. How do I complete the installation?

Thanks in advance,
-computerguy
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:09:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"computerguy" <computerguy394-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:A_Kdnew1VIuiDD7fRVn-pg@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to upgrade from Win98SE to Win2k. I selected the recommended
> "upgrade" rather than the new installation.
>
> During the "Perforing Final Tasks" it get stuck at the "Upgrades program
> and system settings". It gets part of the way through and then reboots
> and starts the final process over. It never gets to the "Saves settings"
> nor to the "Removes any temporary files used" sections.
>
> I left the process running overnight and it still hasn't finished. If I
> reboot the computer it restarts the installation process where it left
> off and never completes. How do I complete the installation?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -computerguy
>

While an upgrade from Win98 to Win2000 is possible, you would
end up with a far more robust and stable installation if you did a clean
installation. Win2000 is radically different rom Win98 and the upgrade
involves numerous compromises. Furthermore, your Win98 installation
may have programs or drivers installed that are incompatible with
Win2000.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:09:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

So, given where I am now (stuck in a loop) how do I initiate a clean
install? Whenever I reboot it starts up in the middle of the Setup. How
do I get the prompt which allows me to select a clean install? Note
that, if I select MSDOS then I don't see the CDROM.

TIA,
-computerguy

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
......
>
> While an upgrade from Win98 to Win2000 is possible, you would
> end up with a far more robust and stable installation if you did a clean
> installation. Win2000 is radically different rom Win98 and the upgrade
> involves numerous compromises. Furthermore, your Win98 installation
> may have programs or drivers installed that are incompatible with
> Win2000.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:10:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"computerguy" <computerguy394-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:A_Kdnew1VIuiDD7fRVn-pg@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to upgrade from Win98SE to Win2k. I selected the recommended
> "upgrade" rather than the new installation.
>
> During the "Perforing Final Tasks" it get stuck at the "Upgrades program
> and system settings". It gets part of the way through and then reboots
> and starts the final process over. It never gets to the "Saves settings"
> nor to the "Removes any temporary files used" sections.
>
> I left the process running overnight and it still hasn't finished. If I
> reboot the computer it restarts the installation process where it left
> off and never completes. How do I complete the installation?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -computerguy
>

Also: Either your PC clock or your time zone is incorrectly set.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:52:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

When you reboot the machine from your CD then you will
see a brief prompt that says "Press any key to boo from
the CD". This is what you need to do.

Your best option would be to allow the installation
process to format your hard disk. This means that you
will have to restore your data files from backup.


"computerguy" <computerguy394-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:EeadndIRloUuOT7fRVn-qw@comcast.com...
> So, given where I am now (stuck in a loop) how do I initiate a clean
> install? Whenever I reboot it starts up in the middle of the Setup. How
> do I get the prompt which allows me to select a clean install? Note
> that, if I select MSDOS then I don't see the CDROM.
>
> TIA,
> -computerguy
>
> Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> .....
> >
> > While an upgrade from Win98 to Win2000 is possible, you would
> > end up with a far more robust and stable installation if you did a clean
> > installation. Win2000 is radically different rom Win98 and the upgrade
> > involves numerous compromises. Furthermore, your Win98 installation
> > may have programs or drivers installed that are incompatible with
> > Win2000.
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:52:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi,

I did that and it still went back into the middle of the Setup that was
hanging. It never started a new installation. The fundamental problem is
that the original upgrade installation never finished so the installer
tries to complete it whenever the PC is rebooted.

Is there a file/directory which tells the installer that an installation
was in progress and needs to finish? If I delete that then maybe I will
be able to start a new installation?

TIA,
-computerguy

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> When you reboot the machine from your CD then you will
> see a brief prompt that says "Press any key to boo from
> the CD". This is what you need to do.
>
> Your best option would be to allow the installation
> process to format your hard disk. This means that you
> will have to restore your data files from backup.
>......
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:52:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You're not booting from the CD-Rom. Possibly set the boot order in cmos
setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence. Also look for the keystroke (if
necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom drive or check your mobo/pc
manual for instructions or boot the setup disks.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
letter assignments with your new install.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"computerguy" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I did that and it still went back into the middle of the Setup that was
| hanging. It never started a new installation. The fundamental problem is
| that the original upgrade installation never finished so the installer
| tries to complete it whenever the PC is rebooted.
|
| Is there a file/directory which tells the installer that an installation
| was in progress and needs to finish? If I delete that then maybe I will
| be able to start a new installation?
|
| TIA,
| -computerguy
|
| Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
| > When you reboot the machine from your CD then you will
| > see a brief prompt that says "Press any key to boo from
| > the CD". This is what you need to do.
| >
| > Your best option would be to allow the installation
| > process to format your hard disk. This means that you
| > will have to restore your data files from backup.
| >......
|
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hello David,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have now been able to perform a new
install and the Win2k system seems to be working. I just have to add
back all my applications.....

By the way, I have a couple of final questions:
1) When I power on I get a menu which asks whether I want to start
Win2000 (twice, I presume because of the unsuccessful first install) and
MSDOS. How do I delete the incorrect second menu item (Win2k) as well as
suppress the entire menu appearing at bootup?

2) Is it OK to delete the following directories:
$WIN_NT$.~BT
~MSSETUP.T
FOUND.000
FOUND.001
FOUND.002

3) What about the WINDOWS (not WINNT) directory? Does that only have the
previous Win98SE stuff? Can I delete this too?

TIA,
-computerguy

Dave Patrick wrote:
> You're not booting from the CD-Rom. Possibly set the boot order in cmos
> setup to CD-Rom first in boot sequence. Also look for the keystroke (if
> necessary) at POST to force boot from CD-Rom drive or check your mobo/pc
> manual for instructions or boot the setup disks.
>
> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
> disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
> CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
> makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
> prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
>
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:40:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

If you still have those files/ directories it sounds like you didn't follow
the steps. IMO best to delete the partition and start over.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"computerguy" wrote:
| Hello David,
|
| Thanks for your suggestion. I have now been able to perform a new
| install and the Win2k system seems to be working. I just have to add
| back all my applications.....
|
| By the way, I have a couple of final questions:
| 1) When I power on I get a menu which asks whether I want to start
| Win2000 (twice, I presume because of the unsuccessful first install) and
| MSDOS. How do I delete the incorrect second menu item (Win2k) as well as
| suppress the entire menu appearing at bootup?
|
| 2) Is it OK to delete the following directories:
| $WIN_NT$.~BT
| ~MSSETUP.T
| FOUND.000
| FOUND.001
| FOUND.002
|
| 3) What about the WINDOWS (not WINNT) directory? Does that only have the
| previous Win98SE stuff? Can I delete this too?
|
| TIA,
| -computerguy
!