Change of SCSI controller - win2k won't boot

peter

Hi,

This must be an FAQ!

I have moved a SCSI hard drive from one PC to another. The original
has an Adaptec SCSI controller; the PC should have exactly the same
one but (evidently) doesn't have quite the same one!!!

So, Windows 2000 is starting OK and then one gets the INACCESSIBLE
BOOT DEVICE BSOD.

The partition is FAT32.

The HD also has a 2nd FreeBSD partition which boots just fine (F1/F2
selection of Windows/FreeBSD).

I have the win2000 bootable CD.

In the past, I always found that if I booted up from the win2000 CD,
and inserted the floppy with the F6 prompt for a customer HD
controller (have done this many times building NT4 SCSI machines) the
whole win2000 installation got overwritten. I could do that again but
there are a fair few apps installed in there...

Is there some way I can basically reach the F6 prompt, and insert a
floppy with the SCSI card drivers?

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter1124@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

dl

A repair installation of win2k should'nt impact on any apps.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote

>A repair installation of win2k should'nt impact on any apps.
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306952

Does this mean I can use the standard bootable win2000 installation
CD, and a Repair option should appear, which offers the F6 option for

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter1234@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

dl

Follow the procedure as outlined in the links, having first followed
suggestions in the other reply.
yes, you use the std win2k installation cd

"Peter" <peter0o0o0o@peter2-0-o-0.c0.uk> wrote in message

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote
>
> >A repair installation of win2k should'nt impact on any apps.
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306952
>
> Does this mean I can use the standard bootable win2000 installation
> CD, and a Repair option should appear, which offers the F6 option for
>

> Peter.
> --
> Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail.
> E-mail replies to peter1234@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
> Please do NOT copy usenet posts to email - it is NOT necessary.

GeoffW

check the cable / connection / re seat

make sure th scsi config is correct (in the card bios) and
the boot ID is correct

and the boot sequence is correct in the PC bios

Geoff.

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote:

>Follow the procedure as outlined in the links, having first followed
>suggestions in the other reply.
>yes, you use the std win2k installation cd

I have a dual-boot, win2000 or FreeBSD.

Isn't the Repair option going to rewrite the boot record, clobbering
this feature and forcing me to install FreeBSD all over again?

Isn't there some way to install a SCSI driver in win2000, at the point
it is looking for it?

Please note that windows does access the hard disk OK and goes through
most of the boot process. This is because initially it uses the BIOS
for the HD access. It is only later in the boot that it uses its own
driver, and that fails because the HD was originally used with a
2930U2 controller and now it's in a machine with a 29160N.

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter1124@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

dl

Afraid I have no experience with FreeBSD, so cannot answer.
I don't believe there is any other option, other than a repair reinstall.
Personally I've never had a problem with a repair install, but have never
done so in your circumstances

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote:
>
> >Follow the procedure as outlined in the links, having first followed
> >suggestions in the other reply.
> >yes, you use the std win2k installation cd
>
> I have a dual-boot, win2000 or FreeBSD.
>
> Isn't the Repair option going to rewrite the boot record, clobbering
> this feature and forcing me to install FreeBSD all over again?
>
> Isn't there some way to install a SCSI driver in win2000, at the point
> it is looking for it?
>
> Please note that windows does access the hard disk OK and goes through
> most of the boot process. This is because initially it uses the BIOS
> for the HD access. It is only later in the boot that it uses its own
> driver, and that fails because the HD was originally used with a
> 2930U2 controller and now it's in a machine with a 29160N.
>

> Peter.
> --
> Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail.
> E-mail replies to peter1124@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

peter

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote

>Afraid I have no experience with FreeBSD, so cannot answer.
>I don't believe there is any other option, other than a repair reinstall.
>Personally I've never had a problem with a repair install, but have never
>done so in your circumstances

OK, I've done a repair. This has worked to the extent that it loaded
the HD controller driver correctly, and hasn't messed up the Windows
v. Unix boot loader.

It left most of the applications OK. It did trash an Office 2000
install (which now asks for the original CD all the time) but that's
OK because I am putting Office 2003 on it, and it trashed a load of
windows updates, so I had to download about 100MB of Microsoft
updates. The original install was sp4, but the CD used for the repair
was sp2 which explains it...

It's a shame there isn't an F6 option during a normal windows boot, to
install a new SCSI driver.

I did try the recovery console. This works for copying files and if I
knew how to manually install the new SCSI driver I could have done it
that way. I did try just copying the driver files into the drivers
directory but that didn't do anything.

dl

I havent seen any info/posts, re installing without the F6 option