New Build, No Post-2

dolphinstar

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Thanks in advance for the incredible wealth of information here.

System is:
Intel E6600
EVGA Nforce 680i SLI Mainboard
Zalman 9700 cooler
4 gig (4 x 1024) Corsair XMS C6400C4 RAM
3 Seagate SATA drives
LeadTek 8800 GTX video card
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU.

Took my time building it. I was extremely careful with grounding. Started the system a few hours ago. It posted, I was able to enter the BIOS and look at the settings. I went to Hardware Monitor to observe the chip temp and about 1 min along the system was locked up. No keyboard response. I used the reset button, it did NOT post this time. Stopped with LED indicator showing Shadow VBIOS. No response. BTW, the CPU temp was 73 F.

I have played the RAM swap game, alternative video cards, unplugged all the cables and reset them, cleared the CMOS many times, Still same error code and no more response. Ideas please?

Thanks again. signed, an old guy trying to keep up with the kids.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
First thing to check is the cooler and the grease used. Sounds like there is a problem there, Yes it can heat up that fast and shut down.

dolphinstar

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
thanks for the quick replies. You lost me at HSF? Sorry. Like I signed, "Old guy trying to keep up with the kids"

I just haven't spent a lot of time trying to learn the new jargons.

;-))

dolphinstar

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Roger that. Heat Sink Fan. The Zalman is huge and I'll need to remove the MB to re-grease it. It's heavy also and the force it applies against the mounts might be causing it to lose proper contact. I'll pull the board out and get back to you tomorrow.

I'll also see about some sort of support from the upper fan in the case to help take some weight off the CPU fan mount.

later.

dolphinstar

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Big Al, thanks. I've built 9 pc's for myself and some friends. This is the first of the newer technology, Core 2 Duo, PCI Express and such. So I'm just a little unsure of what to expect as I get it running.

This system is a bit better than the one recommended in Maximum PC last month. I've upgraded the CPU, the video card and the RAM but it should turn out to run great! Just as long as I can fly FSX I'll be happy.

BTW, I'm in Seattle as well.