NTFS

I installed 2000Prof and converted the partition as NTFS.
Now I want to uninstall and reformat the hard disk, I cannot do that in
FDisk.
How do I do that ?

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Man Utd" wrote:
|I installed 2000Prof and converted the partition as NTFS.
| Now I want to uninstall and reformat the hard disk, I cannot do that in
| FDisk.
| How do I do that ?

Thanks.
As I encountered some strange things in my harddisk:
I used to have single OS in my PC, ie Win98, then I got dual boot with
Win2K.

Sometime ago, I deleted the partitions by FDisk, formatted my harddisk and
just installed Win2K. However, when I boot up, I still got the dual boot
options. I tried format, installed several times but still got the same dual
boot. Why ?
I did delete the entry in the boot.ini file and made that to single option.
But the question is why I got that dual boot options after deleted the
partition and reformat, installed Win2K?

I got a frustrated situation of my PC, not sure related to my previous dual
boot and reformat, reinstallation of WIn2K:
My PC reboot millions of times when power on, even before login, is that
something to do with my masterboot record or my harddisk ? Or the power
supply?

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
setup
> disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
> CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
> makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
> prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFEC
D095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Man Utd" wrote:
> |I installed 2000Prof and converted the partition as NTFS.
> | Now I want to uninstall and reformat the hard disk, I cannot do that in
> | FDisk.
> | How do I do that ?

dl

You havent 'clean installed' win2k successfully.
If, using win2k disk you had deleted all partitions, then recreated and
formatted, all data would have been erased

"Man Utd" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Thanks.
> As I encountered some strange things in my harddisk:
> I used to have single OS in my PC, ie Win98, then I got dual boot with
> Win2K.
>
> Sometime ago, I deleted the partitions by FDisk, formatted my harddisk and
> just installed Win2K. However, when I boot up, I still got the dual boot
> options. I tried format, installed several times but still got the same
dual
> boot. Why ?
> I did delete the entry in the boot.ini file and made that to single
option.
> But the question is why I got that dual boot options after deleted the
> partition and reformat, installed Win2K?
>
> I got a frustrated situation of my PC, not sure related to my previous
dual
> boot and reformat, reinstallation of WIn2K:
> My PC reboot millions of times when power on, even before login, is that
> something to do with my masterboot record or my harddisk ? Or the power
> supply?
>
> "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
> setup
> > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows
2000
> > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
> > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
> > prompts.
> >
> > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
> partitions
> > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected
drive
> > letter assignments with your new install.
> >
> > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
> network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFEC
> D095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "Man Utd" wrote:
> > |I installed 2000Prof and converted the partition as NTFS.
> > | Now I want to uninstall and reformat the hard disk, I cannot do that
in
> > | FDisk.
> > | How do I do that ?

So in my current situation, I have Win2K installed.
Do I need to boot my PC with the Win2K floppy disk 1 to boot into Win2K
installation ?

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> You havent 'clean installed' win2k successfully.
> If, using win2k disk you had deleted all partitions, then recreated and
> formatted, all data would have been erased
>
> "Man Utd" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > Thanks.
> > As I encountered some strange things in my harddisk:
> > I used to have single OS in my PC, ie Win98, then I got dual boot with
> > Win2K.
> >
> > Sometime ago, I deleted the partitions by FDisk, formatted my harddisk
and
> > just installed Win2K. However, when I boot up, I still got the dual boot
> > options. I tried format, installed several times but still got the same
> dual
> > boot. Why ?
> > I did delete the entry in the boot.ini file and made that to single
> option.
> > But the question is why I got that dual boot options after deleted the
> > partition and reformat, installed Win2K?
> >
> > I got a frustrated situation of my PC, not sure related to my previous
> dual
> > boot and reformat, reinstallation of WIn2K:
> > My PC reboot millions of times when power on, even before login, is that
> > something to do with my masterboot record or my harddisk ? Or the power
> > supply?
> >
> > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> > > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
> > setup
> > > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows
> 2000
> > > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
> > > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
> > > prompts.
> > >
> > > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
> > partitions
> > > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> > > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected
> drive
> > > letter assignments with your new install.
> > >
> > > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
> > network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFEC
> > D095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> in

dl

Follow instructions given in Dave Patrick's reply

> So in my current situation, I have Win2K installed.
> Do I need to boot my PC with the Win2K floppy disk 1 to boot into Win2K
> installation ?
>
> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > You havent 'clean installed' win2k successfully.
> > If, using win2k disk you had deleted all partitions, then recreated and
> > formatted, all data would have been erased
> >
> > "Man Utd" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > > Thanks.
> > > As I encountered some strange things in my harddisk:
> > > I used to have single OS in my PC, ie Win98, then I got dual boot with
> > > Win2K.
> > >
> > > Sometime ago, I deleted the partitions by FDisk, formatted my harddisk
> and
> > > just installed Win2K. However, when I boot up, I still got the dual
boot
> > > options. I tried format, installed several times but still got the
same
> > dual
> > > boot. Why ?
> > > I did delete the entry in the boot.ini file and made that to single
> > option.
> > > But the question is why I got that dual boot options after deleted the
> > > partition and reformat, installed Win2K?
> > >
> > > I got a frustrated situation of my PC, not sure related to my previous
> > dual
> > > boot and reformat, reinstallation of WIn2K:
> > > My PC reboot millions of times when power on, even before login, is
that
> > > something to do with my masterboot record or my harddisk ? Or the
power
> > > supply?
> > >
> > > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> > > setup