NTFS

I installed 2000Prof and converted the partition as NTFS.
Now I want to uninstall and reformat the hard disk, I cannot do that in
FDisk.
How do I do that ?
5 answers Last reply
More about ntfs

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Man Utd" wrote:
    |I installed 2000Prof and converted the partition as NTFS.
    | Now I want to uninstall and reformat the hard disk, I cannot do that in
    | FDisk.
    | How do I do that ?

    Thanks.
    As I encountered some strange things in my harddisk:
    I used to have single OS in my PC, ie Win98, then I got dual boot with
    Win2K.

    Sometime ago, I deleted the partitions by FDisk, formatted my harddisk and
    just installed Win2K. However, when I boot up, I still got the dual boot
    options. I tried format, installed several times but still got the same dual
    boot. Why ?
    I did delete the entry in the boot.ini file and made that to single option.
    But the question is why I got that dual boot options after deleted the
    partition and reformat, installed Win2K?

    I got a frustrated situation of my PC, not sure related to my previous dual
    boot and reformat, reinstallation of WIn2K:
    My PC reboot millions of times when power on, even before login, is that
    something to do with my masterboot record or my harddisk ? Or the power
    supply?

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
    setup
    > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    > prompts.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
    partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFEC
    D095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Man Utd" wrote:
    > |I installed 2000Prof and converted the partition as NTFS.
    > | Now I want to uninstall and reformat the hard disk, I cannot do that in
    > | FDisk.
    > | How do I do that ?

    You havent 'clean installed' win2k successfully.
    If, using win2k disk you had deleted all partitions, then recreated and
    formatted, all data would have been erased

    "Man Utd" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    > As I encountered some strange things in my harddisk:
    > I used to have single OS in my PC, ie Win98, then I got dual boot with
    > Win2K.
    >
    > Sometime ago, I deleted the partitions by FDisk, formatted my harddisk and
    > just installed Win2K. However, when I boot up, I still got the dual boot
    > options. I tried format, installed several times but still got the same
    dual
    > boot. Why ?
    > I did delete the entry in the boot.ini file and made that to single
    option.
    > But the question is why I got that dual boot options after deleted the
    > partition and reformat, installed Win2K?
    >
    > I got a frustrated situation of my PC, not sure related to my previous
    dual
    > boot and reformat, reinstallation of WIn2K:
    > My PC reboot millions of times when power on, even before login, is that
    > something to do with my masterboot record or my harddisk ? Or the power
    > supply?
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
    > setup
    > > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows
    2000
    > > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    > > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    > > prompts.
    > >
    > > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
    > partitions
    > > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected
    drive
    > > letter assignments with your new install.
    > >
    > > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
    > network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFEC
    > D095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "Man Utd" wrote:
    > > |I installed 2000Prof and converted the partition as NTFS.
    > > | Now I want to uninstall and reformat the hard disk, I cannot do that
    in
    > > | FDisk.
    > > | How do I do that ?

    So in my current situation, I have Win2K installed.
    Do I need to boot my PC with the Win2K floppy disk 1 to boot into Win2K
    installation ?

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > You havent 'clean installed' win2k successfully.
    > If, using win2k disk you had deleted all partitions, then recreated and
    > formatted, all data would have been erased
    >
    > "Man Utd" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Thanks.
    > > As I encountered some strange things in my harddisk:
    > > I used to have single OS in my PC, ie Win98, then I got dual boot with
    > > Win2K.
    > >
    > > Sometime ago, I deleted the partitions by FDisk, formatted my harddisk
    and
    > > just installed Win2K. However, when I boot up, I still got the dual boot
    > > options. I tried format, installed several times but still got the same
    > dual
    > > boot. Why ?
    > > I did delete the entry in the boot.ini file and made that to single
    > option.
    > > But the question is why I got that dual boot options after deleted the
    > > partition and reformat, installed Win2K?
    > >
    > > I got a frustrated situation of my PC, not sure related to my previous
    > dual
    > > boot and reformat, reinstallation of WIn2K:
    > > My PC reboot millions of times when power on, even before login, is that
    > > something to do with my masterboot record or my harddisk ? Or the power
    > > supply?
    > >
    > > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > > > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
    > > setup
    > > > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows
    > 2000
    > > > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    > > > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    > > > prompts.
    > > >
    > > > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
    > > partitions
    > > > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > > > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected
    > drive
    > > > letter assignments with your new install.
    > > >
    > > > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
    > > network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFEC
    > > D095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > in

    Follow instructions given in Dave Patrick's reply

    > So in my current situation, I have Win2K installed.
    > Do I need to boot my PC with the Win2K floppy disk 1 to boot into Win2K
    > installation ?
    >
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > > You havent 'clean installed' win2k successfully.
    > > If, using win2k disk you had deleted all partitions, then recreated and
    > > formatted, all data would have been erased
    > >
    > > "Man Utd" <alanpltseNOSPAM@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > As I encountered some strange things in my harddisk:
    > > > I used to have single OS in my PC, ie Win98, then I got dual boot with
    > > > Win2K.
    > > >
    > > > Sometime ago, I deleted the partitions by FDisk, formatted my harddisk
    > and
    > > > just installed Win2K. However, when I boot up, I still got the dual
    boot
    > > > options. I tried format, installed several times but still got the
    same
    > > dual
    > > > boot. Why ?
    > > > I did delete the entry in the boot.ini file and made that to single
    > > option.
    > > > But the question is why I got that dual boot options after deleted the
    > > > partition and reformat, installed Win2K?
    > > >
    > > > I got a frustrated situation of my PC, not sure related to my previous
    > > dual
    > > > boot and reformat, reinstallation of WIn2K:
    > > > My PC reboot millions of times when power on, even before login, is
    that
    > > > something to do with my masterboot record or my harddisk ? Or the
    power
    > > > supply?
    > > >
    > > > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > > > setup
    Windows
    > > 2000

    > > > partitions
    > > drive

    > > > network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFEC
    > > > D095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    > > in

NTFS Microsoft Partition Hard Drives Windows