Closed

How to modify boot.ini after mirroring (RAID-1) boot parti..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 13, 2005 1:03:05 PM

Hi all

Trying to prepare mirroring of the boot/system partition i was reading up on
how to.
Following Microsoft knowledge base article 302969.
At the end of the article it sais.

Quote.:4. After you receive the following message, click OK to acknowledge
it:
DISK MANAGEMENT
You have mirrored your boot volume. To be able to boot from the
mirrored disk, add the appropriate entry to the boot.ini file.
5. If you now want to boot from the new mirrored disk, you have to
change the Boot.ini ARC path that points the computer to the partition in
which the system files are located.

So my big question is.:
How do I modify the Boot.ini to reflect that I'm running a mirrored boot ?
Hope someone can help me out :-)
July 1, 2011 12:44:16 AM

Well its a bit upsetting that even technet will tell you you have to modify the boot.ini after this message but no one begins to describe or give an example. I had the same thing today - mirrored through Disk Management on a Win2003 stnd server. First mirror I have seen do this. And I ran into no answers. So I went to another similar server I had mirrored a few months ago. Now... keep in mind your boot.ini may be a little different so don't just add what I give you - look closely at my boot.ini and if you have some experience - you will see. Your boot.ini 'default.....' maybe different. When you add the line at the bottom it should be a copy of the 'default...' 3rd line down with "Boot Mirror "X"... and so on. I haven't tested it. Mind the drive letter. Which I would guess means to allow the new mirrored volume to boot IF YOU CRASH THE ORIGINAL VOLUME (also had to figure the out), you need the added line at the bottom of the boot.ini. To test it - I would unplug the new mirrored volume and try to boot. You might knock your mirror out of sync but I would expect if you just boot and shutdown and add the original - it will sort it out.
Here is what was added without error on a 2003 server: (secondary plex)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Boot Mirror C: - secondary plex"

Hope this helps a few.
Alpen IT

Quote:

Hi all

Trying to prepare mirroring of the boot/system partition i was reading up on
how to.
Following Microsoft knowledge base article 302969.
At the end of the article it sais.

Quote.:4. After you receive the following message, click OK to acknowledge
it:
DISK MANAGEMENT
You have mirrored your boot volume. To be able to boot from the
mirrored disk, add the appropriate entry to the boot.ini file.
5. If you now want to boot from the new mirrored disk, you have to
change the Boot.ini ARC path that points the computer to the partition in
which the system files are located.

So my big question is.:
How do I modify the Boot.ini to reflect that I'm running a mirrored boot ?
Hope someone can help me out :-)

Anonymous
July 1, 2011 10:36:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Grumpy9117
!