How to uninstall?

I purchased a new computer and installed a Win2K-preloaded HDD. When
turned on, it displayed a blue screen. For remedy, I reinstalled the OS.
When turned on, it showed this time a message asking me to choose one of
the two OS's--both being identical "Window 2000 Professional", as if I
installed two OS's. Default is the first line, which booted the computer
automatically in ten seconds.
Now I could review the installed programs. There are two Windows
folders--One WINDOWS and the other WINNT. From the dates attaced to some
files, I can say WINDOWS is the newly installed Win2K.
My question is how I can delete the unnecessary WINNT while keeping
WINDOWS intact. Please help.

Windows 2000 installs by default to \winnt while Windows XP installs by
default to \windows

From a command prompt;
echo %windir%
will reveal the one you're using.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Junji Tsuzuki" wrote:
|I purchased a new computer and installed a Win2K-preloaded HDD. When
| turned on, it displayed a blue screen. For remedy, I reinstalled the OS.
| When turned on, it showed this time a message asking me to choose one of
| the two OS's--both being identical "Window 2000 Professional", as if I
| installed two OS's. Default is the first line, which booted the computer
| automatically in ten seconds.
| Now I could review the installed programs. There are two Windows
| folders--One WINDOWS and the other WINNT. From the dates attaced to some
| files, I can say WINDOWS is the newly installed Win2K.
| My question is how I can delete the unnecessary WINNT while keeping
| WINDOWS intact. Please help.

The fact is that Win2K CD created "WINDOWS" folder and installed the OS
program there.
If I chose the second line of Windows 2000 pro at the time of booting,
the computer crushed with famous blue screen. I do not use Win XP in
this computer.
I just want to uninstall the defective OS represented by the folder
"WINNT". Can anyone help?

Dave Patrick wrote:

>Windows 2000 installs by default to \winnt while Windows XP installs by
>default to \windows
>
>From a command prompt;
>echo %windir%
>will reveal the one you're using.

Windows 2000 installs by default to \winnt If it is installed to \windows
then you can delete the \winnt directory. Rename it then if after a week no
problems, delete it.

--

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Windows 2000 installs by default to \winnt If it is installed to \windows
> then you can delete the \winnt directory. Rename it then if after a week no
> problems, delete it.

Perhaps you never tried to delete \WINDOWS or \WINNT. If you try,
WINDOWS will respond by the message "system files. you cannot delete it"
or in that effect. By the way WINDOWS 2000 or others does not offer
UNINSTALL in its folder or in Control Panel.
I vaguely imagine that it might be done by modifying some of the
registry lines, but evidently it will be too risky to attempt it without
garanteed knowledge.
My problem started when Windows failed to repair the installed program
and offered a new installation. I thought it meant replacing the
existing problematical program (WINNT) by overwriting. By design or by
fluke accident, however, Windows CD added a new WINDOWS 2000 (WINDOWS)
as if it implemented a dual-boot installation.

Correct, you cannot delete, rename or move the one you're using. If a
directory named \winnt exists on the drive where you are installing Windows
2000 then you are given the choice to overwrite or create another directory.
(the directory naming is left up to you)

From a command prompt;
echo %windir%
will reveal the one you're using.

The solution to cleanup is to backup your data and clean install the
operating system.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.