Unable to install Win2K in Toshiba P35 S611

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I bought Toshiba notebook Satellite P35 S611 which came with Windows XP
(English) preloaded. I needed to use Win 2K instead. After reformatted
the HDD, I attempted to install Win 2K not expecting any problem.
What happened next was the failure of the OS in the initial stage of
installation. That is, the installation progressed smoothly until it
came to the first rebooting. The problem is that it lost keyboard
function----no keys, including Enter and space, works. My conjecture is
that in the beginning the installation uses DOS drivers, but when
rebooted, keyboard drivers are replaced by Win2K drivers which are
apparently incompatible with this Toshiba keyboard.
I used Win 2K Japanese version, but the result was the same. Just to
test the integrity of the computer, I used Win XP of English or Japanese
version and I did not encounter any problem.
Windows XP is essentially an improved version of Windows 2000 Pro. It is
difficult for me to believe that a popular notebook computer like
Toshiba Sattelite series had not been tested for its compatibility with
widely used Windows 2000 Pro. I suppose there are many people who tried
to load Win2K(Japanese or English) in Toshiba Satellite, especially in
P35 models. Please tell me about your experiences and please tell me how
you solved the installation problem if you could successfully install
it. Any information will help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Get in touch with Toshiba to see what operating systems are supported.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Junji Tsuzuki" wrote:
|I bought Toshiba notebook Satellite P35 S611 which came with Windows XP
| (English) preloaded. I needed to use Win 2K instead. After reformatted
| the HDD, I attempted to install Win 2K not expecting any problem.
| What happened next was the failure of the OS in the initial stage of
| installation. That is, the installation progressed smoothly until it
| came to the first rebooting. The problem is that it lost keyboard
| function----no keys, including Enter and space, works. My conjecture is
| that in the beginning the installation uses DOS drivers, but when
| rebooted, keyboard drivers are replaced by Win2K drivers which are
| apparently incompatible with this Toshiba keyboard.
| I used Win 2K Japanese version, but the result was the same. Just to
| test the integrity of the computer, I used Win XP of English or Japanese
| version and I did not encounter any problem.
| Windows XP is essentially an improved version of Windows 2000 Pro. It is
| difficult for me to believe that a popular notebook computer like
| Toshiba Sattelite series had not been tested for its compatibility with
| widely used Windows 2000 Pro. I suppose there are many people who tried
| to load Win2K(Japanese or English) in Toshiba Satellite, especially in
| P35 models. Please tell me about your experiences and please tell me how
| you solved the installation problem if you could successfully install
| it. Any information will help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

How about trying an external keyboard during installation? You can possibly
load Toshiba keyboad drvers after Win2K is installed.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

This computer is sold, as almost all others are sold these days, with
Win XP pewinstalled (with only Recovery disk exclusively for this
computer, no Win XP CD is provided). I contacted Toshiba America but
they only said that the computer was sold for the use of the
preinstalled Win XP. I also spoke a few MS support folks, but they
failed to offer a solution and the case is still pending,
If anyone can tell me which file in the XP CD represents Toshiba
keyboard drivers, perhaps I can replace 2K keyboard drives by them.?

John Keiser wrote:

> How about trying an external keyboard during installation? You can possibly
> load Toshiba keyboad drvers after Win2K is installed.

Thanks for suggestion. Actually Microsoft Support folks suggested to use
an external keyboard thinking of a PS/2 keyboard but because Toshiba
does not have PS/2 port, we gave up. After reading your suggestion, I
thought there might be USB keyboards available these days. I found one
yesterday and bought it. At the moment I have little idea about how a
USB keyboard will interact with installing WINDOWS 2000 OS. I am
thrilled. I will know the result in a few days. Stay tuned!

Archived from groups: japan.comp.toshiba,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I used a USB keyboard for installing Win 2K into Toshiba Satellite P35
S611. WOW! It worked! And once installation was completed, the buit-in
keyboard works without glitches.
Many thanks to folks for offering help.