My Comcast HDTV adventure

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 7, 2004 11:38:44 PM

Today a technician from Comcast came to my house to hook up a HDTV cable
box. I was surprised to see that the connection is just a plain, old coaxial
cable. I thought it would be at least CVI connections or HDMI.

Then he proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't see any difference between the
reception I was getting now with an analog box and the HDTV box. The only
thing was I would be able to pull in the digital channels and the HD
channels.

I mean, what the hell does that mean? It turns out the box he brought out
was broken so he has to come back with another one next week and I'm back to
my old analog cable box. But with what he told me about not seeing any
difference, would it really be worth it to get an HDTV box? Heck, I get HBO
and SHOTIME with the analog box. I have a week to think it over.

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

More about : comcast hdtv adventure

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 1:13:37 AM

"Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Today a technician from Comcast came to my house to hook up a HDTV cable
> box. I was surprised to see that the connection is just a plain, old
> coaxial
> cable. I thought it would be at least CVI connections or HDMI.
>
> Then he proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't see any difference between
> the
> reception I was getting now with an analog box and the HDTV box. The only
> thing was I would be able to pull in the digital channels and the HD
> channels.
>
> I mean, what the hell does that mean? It turns out the box he brought out
> was broken so he has to come back with another one next week and I'm back
> my old analog cable box. But with what he told me about not seeing any
> difference, would it really be worth it to get an HDTV box? Heck, I get
> HBO
> and SHOTIME with the analog box. I have a week to think it over.

you have an hdtv? and it IS an hd cable box, not just the plain ole digital
stb... and it's connected with component video cables and a DD5.1 digital
audio cable (coax or fiber) to your surround amp (right?)

if so, you are going to see and hear a tremendous difference... on the
handful of hd channels that comcast carries

flip between SHOHD and SHO analog and you will see that the comcast tech is
mistaken
or better yet, go to DiscoveryHD or INHD for some eye candy

show the tech's seeing eye dog too
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:56:40 AM

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:13:37 -0400, "Randy Sweeney"
<rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Today a technician from Comcast came to my house to hook up a HDTV cable
>> box. I was surprised to see that the connection is just a plain, old
>> coaxial
>> cable. I thought it would be at least CVI connections or HDMI.
>>
>> Then he proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't see any difference between
>> the
>> reception I was getting now with an analog box and the HDTV box. The only
>> thing was I would be able to pull in the digital channels and the HD
>> channels.
>>
>> I mean, what the hell does that mean? It turns out the box he brought out
>> was broken so he has to come back with another one next week and I'm back
>> my old analog cable box. But with what he told me about not seeing any
>> difference, would it really be worth it to get an HDTV box? Heck, I get
>> HBO
>> and SHOTIME with the analog box. I have a week to think it over.
>

>you have an hdtv? and it IS an hd cable box, not just the plain ole digital
>stb... and it's connected with component video cables and a DD5.1 digital
>audio cable (coax or fiber) to your surround amp (right?)
>
>if so, you are going to see and hear a tremendous difference... on the
>handful of hd channels that comcast carries
>
>flip between SHOHD and SHO analog and you will see that the comcast tech is
>mistaken
>or better yet, go to DiscoveryHD or INHD for some eye candy
>
>show the tech's seeing eye dog too

I was thinking of getting into HDTV.

I just pulled out some comcast info from my cable bills and I don't
see any DiscoveryHD channel on this system. The only HDTV channels
are the broadcast channels, showtime, HBO, and the pay per view
movies. Basically 5 channels of HDTV plus ppv. Maybe they save the
good stuff for the phone calls ;)

Endless tiers of bogus digital packages though.
ooohh...Discovery Health. Oh boy.

I had the set top digital box (non hdtv) once, and sent it back.
Got better reception from the straight cable on the regular channels
than what came out of the box. Wasn't anything on the digital
channels I wanted to pay MORE for either.

Right now, I wouldn't spend the money on HDTV, but I haven't watched
the broadcast channels much the last few years. Anything really
worthwhile shows up on DVD/Netflix anyway.

Maybe in five or ten years they'll make it worthwhile.
September 8, 2004 5:28:53 PM

<customer> wrote in message
> I was thinking of getting into HDTV.
>
> I just pulled out some comcast info from my cable bills and I don't
> see any DiscoveryHD channel on this system. The only HDTV channels
> are the broadcast channels, showtime, HBO, and the pay per view
> movies. Basically 5 channels of HDTV plus ppv. Maybe they save the
> good stuff for the phone calls ;)
>
> Endless tiers of bogus digital packages though.
> ooohh...Discovery Health. Oh boy.
>
> I had the set top digital box (non hdtv) once, and sent it back.
> Got better reception from the straight cable on the regular channels
> than what came out of the box. Wasn't anything on the digital
> channels I wanted to pay MORE for either.
>
> Right now, I wouldn't spend the money on HDTV, but I haven't watched
> the broadcast channels much the last few years. Anything really
> worthwhile shows up on DVD/Netflix anyway.
>
> Maybe in five or ten years they'll make it worthwhile.

call Comcast and cancel the HD STB installation
you will get ZERO use out of it

the Comcast HD STB will not output the HD channels to a non-HD tv... at
least my SA8000HD won't
not to mention that watching a HD sourced show on a standard tv is like
listening to a CD through a telephone
September 8, 2004 11:18:15 PM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:56:40 -0700, customer wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:13:37 -0400, "Randy Sweeney"
><rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>"Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Today a technician from Comcast came to my house to hook up a HDTV cable
>>> box. I was surprised to see that the connection is just a plain, old
>>> coaxial
>>> cable. I thought it would be at least CVI connections or HDMI.
>>>
>>> Then he proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't see any difference between
>>> the
>>> reception I was getting now with an analog box and the HDTV box. The only
>>> thing was I would be able to pull in the digital channels and the HD
>>> channels.
>>>
>>> I mean, what the hell does that mean? It turns out the box he brought out
>>> was broken so he has to come back with another one next week and I'm back
>>> my old analog cable box. But with what he told me about not seeing any
>>> difference, would it really be worth it to get an HDTV box? Heck, I get
>>> HBO
>>> and SHOTIME with the analog box. I have a week to think it over.
>>

>>you have an hdtv? and it IS an hd cable box, not just the plain ole digital
>>stb... and it's connected with component video cables and a DD5.1 digital
>>audio cable (coax or fiber) to your surround amp (right?)
>>
>>if so, you are going to see and hear a tremendous difference... on the
>>handful of hd channels that comcast carries
>>
>>flip between SHOHD and SHO analog and you will see that the comcast tech is
>>mistaken
>>or better yet, go to DiscoveryHD or INHD for some eye candy
>>
>>show the tech's seeing eye dog too
>>

>I was thinking of getting into HDTV.
>
>I just pulled out some comcast info from my cable bills and I don't
>see any DiscoveryHD channel on this system.

Discovery HD was just added a couple of weeks ago.

Thumper

The only HDTV channels
>are the broadcast channels, showtime, HBO, and the pay per view
>movies. Basically 5 channels of HDTV plus ppv. Maybe they save the
>good stuff for the phone calls ;)
>
>Endless tiers of bogus digital packages though.
>ooohh...Discovery Health. Oh boy.
>
>I had the set top digital box (non hdtv) once, and sent it back.
>Got better reception from the straight cable on the regular channels
>than what came out of the box. Wasn't anything on the digital
>channels I wanted to pay MORE for either.
>
>Right now, I wouldn't spend the money on HDTV, but I haven't watched
>the broadcast channels much the last few years. Anything really
>worthwhile shows up on DVD/Netflix anyway.
>
>Maybe in five or ten years they'll make it worthwhile.

To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:53:30 AM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> <customer> wrote in message
>> I was thinking of getting into HDTV.
>>
>> I just pulled out some comcast info from my cable bills and I don't
>> see any DiscoveryHD channel on this system. The only HDTV channels
>> are the broadcast channels, showtime, HBO, and the pay per view
>> movies. Basically 5 channels of HDTV plus ppv. Maybe they save the
>> good stuff for the phone calls ;)
>>
>> Endless tiers of bogus digital packages though.
>> ooohh...Discovery Health. Oh boy.
>>
>> I had the set top digital box (non hdtv) once, and sent it back.
>> Got better reception from the straight cable on the regular channels
>> than what came out of the box. Wasn't anything on the digital
>> channels I wanted to pay MORE for either.
>>
>> Right now, I wouldn't spend the money on HDTV, but I haven't watched
>> the broadcast channels much the last few years. Anything really
>> worthwhile shows up on DVD/Netflix anyway.
>>
>> Maybe in five or ten years they'll make it worthwhile.
>

> call Comcast and cancel the HD STB installation
> you will get ZERO use out of it
>
> the Comcast HD STB will not output the HD channels to a non-HD tv... at
> least my SA8000HD won't
> not to mention that watching a HD sourced show on a standard tv is like
> listening to a CD through a telephone

At least in the Chicago area Comcast uses the Motorola DCT6200/DCT6208.
(The 6208 is an HD STB and DVR.) I have a large screen standard definition
television and I just had a DCT6208 installed last weekend. Although you
don't get the full benefit of an HDTV it can still be worth having. Mainly
I wanted it for the DVR capabilities. However, even the HD channels are
nice to have. The quality of my analog channels is not very good so it's
nice to get the pristine feed from the HD channels. Plus you get Dolby
Digital 5.1 on some movies which was impossible with the analog. I can't
wait to get an HDTV to get the FULL benefit!

Brad
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:40:44 PM

Love my Comcast HDTV but I have an HDTV receiver hooked up. Digital
channels, HDTV channels even better,

"Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Today a technician from Comcast came to my house to hook up a HDTV cable
> box. I was surprised to see that the connection is just a plain, old
> coaxial
> cable. I thought it would be at least CVI connections or HDMI.
>
> Then he proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't see any difference between
> the
> reception I was getting now with an analog box and the HDTV box. The only
> thing was I would be able to pull in the digital channels and the HD
> channels.
>
> I mean, what the hell does that mean? It turns out the box he brought out
> was broken so he has to come back with another one next week and I'm back
> my old analog cable box. But with what he told me about not seeing any
> difference, would it really be worth it to get an HDTV box? Heck, I get
> HBO
> and SHOTIME with the analog box. I have a week to think it over.
>
> --
>
> Irulan
> from the stars we come
> to the stars we return
> from now until the end of time

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:40:45 PM

"Pittsburgh bound" <c.w.pittsburgh@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
> Love my Comcast HDTV but I have an HDTV receiver hooked up. Digital
> channels, HDTV channels even better,
>

> "Irulan" <lrulan@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Today a technician from Comcast came to my house to hook up a HDTV cable
> > box. I was surprised to see that the connection is just a plain, old
> > coaxial
> > cable. I thought it would be at least CVI connections or HDMI.
> >
> > Then he proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't see any difference between
> > the
> > reception I was getting now with an analog box and the HDTV box. The
only
> > thing was I would be able to pull in the digital channels and the HD
> > channels.
> >
> > I mean, what the hell does that mean? It turns out the box he brought
out
> > was broken so he has to come back with another one next week and I'm
back
> > my old analog cable box. But with what he told me about not seeing any
> > difference, would it really be worth it to get an HDTV box? Heck, I get
> > HBO
> > and SHOTIME with the analog box. I have a week to think it over.
> >
> > --

That's NOT an accurate statement. I can't believe that an installer would
make such a statement. YOU must have misunderstood.
The installer here in Sarasota for Comcast hooked up both the component
inputs and the video inputs. He did not connect the cable to the RF
connector. The picture difference between video and component input is
amazing. They only hook up to the video input because of aspect
ratio/picture, when viewing SD on component input you have bands of black
or gray at the sides that can cause phosphor aging problems.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:50:21 AM

Boston is a totally different ballgame.
1)We do get Discovery HD on channel 839.
2)We have 13 HD channels,plus occational home Red sox (and possibly Bruins
games in HD) Celtics too
3)It looks like we will be getting at least 7 more by the end of the year.
4)We use the Motorola bozes which do downconvert the HD signal to a
letterbox NTSC signal

--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's

End of story!

!