Symantec Ghost Version 8

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Hi

Has anybody used this on Windows 2000 in a networked enviroment.

My suitation is the following:

We currently have 30 computers that are used for training, we use different
versions of the software on the machines and regularally have to use the
Ghost Floppy Disks to install a different image, ie Office 97 in place of
Office 2003. This means going around to every machine putting in two disks,
one after another and then typing the session name in and letting the
install take place. Finally we have to rename the machines.

From my understanding (i am slighty confused due to the user manual on Ghost
being unclear), is that we can install a piece of software on the machines
that can operate in windows. We then should be able to automatically Ghost
the machines without using the two floppy disks.

Has anybody had any experience of this.

Apologies for posting to so many groups but as far as i can tell this post
applys to many groups.
4 answers Last reply
More about symantec ghost version
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    DMc2005 explained :
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anybody used this on Windows 2000 in a networked enviroment.
    >
    > My suitation is the following:
    >
    > We currently have 30 computers that are used for training, we use different
    > versions of the software on the machines and regularally have to use the
    > Ghost Floppy Disks to install a different image, ie Office 97 in place of
    > Office 2003. This means going around to every machine putting in two disks,
    > one after another and then typing the session name in and letting the install
    > take place. Finally we have to rename the machines.
    >
    > From my understanding (i am slighty confused due to the user manual on Ghost
    > being unclear), is that we can install a piece of software on the machines
    > that can operate in windows. We then should be able to automatically Ghost
    > the machines without using the two floppy disks.
    >
    > Has anybody had any experience of this.

    > Apologies for posting to so many groups but as far as i can tell this post
    > applys to many groups.

    if you have enough client licenses you can install ghost separately on
    each workstation
    this runs as a service and can be called using a bat file or thru tasks
    don't forget to set parameters exactly right

    grtz

    --
    This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
    Site : http://www.mesnews.net

    Hi

    At my last post, we used Norton Ghost for the rapid deployment of end
    user stations and classroom computers. To solve the 2 floppy disk issue
    we created a bootable CD with utilities from http://www.nu2.nu/bootablecd/

    Joseph

    DMc2005 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anybody used this on Windows 2000 in a networked enviroment.
    >
    > My suitation is the following:
    >
    > We currently have 30 computers that are used for training, we use different
    > versions of the software on the machines and regularally have to use the
    > Ghost Floppy Disks to install a different image, ie Office 97 in place of
    > Office 2003. This means going around to every machine putting in two disks,
    > one after another and then typing the session name in and letting the
    > install take place. Finally we have to rename the machines.
    >
    > From my understanding (i am slighty confused due to the user manual on Ghost
    > being unclear), is that we can install a piece of software on the machines
    > that can operate in windows. We then should be able to automatically Ghost
    > the machines without using the two floppy disks.
    >
    > Has anybody had any experience of this.

    > Apologies for posting to so many groups but as far as i can tell this post
    > applys to many groups.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I have setup and deployed Ghost 8 corporate in a classroom environment.
    There are a couple of things to do, install the ghost service and install a
    ghost boot partition on your clients. You setup your ghost image(s), store
    them on the server and deploy them from the server console. The server will
    send out commands to the ghost service to reboot the client machines to the
    ghost boot partition which contains ghost files and setup for your network
    (outside of Windows OS). The image is deployed to the machines using
    multicasting once they are booted into the ghost application. Once the image
    is deployed they will configure new SID, machines names... and reboot.

    The only problem I ran into was where I was using notebooks with 2 network
    cards, a wired and wireless. The Ghost application did not support having 2
    network cards in a computer at once and sometimes would give some problems.
    However, it seems to work flawlessly once I disabled built-in wireless NIC.

    Hope this helps.

    Paul.

    "DMc2005" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Has anybody used this on Windows 2000 in a networked enviroment.
    >
    > My suitation is the following:
    >
    > We currently have 30 computers that are used for training, we use different
    > versions of the software on the machines and regularally have to use the
    > Ghost Floppy Disks to install a different image, ie Office 97 in place of
    > Office 2003. This means going around to every machine putting in two disks,
    > one after another and then typing the session name in and letting the
    > install take place. Finally we have to rename the machines.
    >
    > From my understanding (i am slighty confused due to the user manual on Ghost
    > being unclear), is that we can install a piece of software on the machines
    > that can operate in windows. We then should be able to automatically Ghost
    > the machines without using the two floppy disks.
    >
    > Has anybody had any experience of this.

    > Apologies for posting to so many groups but as far as i can tell this post
    > applys to many groups.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    I don't recommend Norton Ghost at all. Check out Acronis, and no im not a
    vender, it's just what i use.

    "DMc2005" <davidmcnaughton_1999_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Has anybody used this on Windows 2000 in a networked enviroment.
    >
    > My suitation is the following:
    >
    > We currently have 30 computers that are used for training, we use
    different
    > versions of the software on the machines and regularally have to use the
    > Ghost Floppy Disks to install a different image, ie Office 97 in place of
    > Office 2003. This means going around to every machine putting in two
    disks,
    > one after another and then typing the session name in and letting the
    > install take place. Finally we have to rename the machines.
    >
    > From my understanding (i am slighty confused due to the user manual on
    Ghost
    > being unclear), is that we can install a piece of software on the machines
    > that can operate in windows. We then should be able to automatically Ghost
    > the machines without using the two floppy disks.
    >
    > Has anybody had any experience of this.

    > Apologies for posting to so many groups but as far as i can tell this post
    > applys to many groups.

Symantec Microsoft Windows