Naming a server

I'm about to setup a small business network with a windows 2003 server.
What is the naming scheme that should be used. Is there a basic name
that can be used? Thanks, Tom
1 answer Last reply
More about naming server

    In news:E1E79A33-D308-4864-A1CF-C4DE869B2BE3@microsoft.com,
    Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > I'm about to setup a small business network with a windows 2003
    > server. What is the naming scheme that should be used. Is there a
    > basic name that can be used? Thanks, Tom

    You can use whatever you like. I tend to be boring and use a combination of
    names & numbers.

    For example,

    COMPANYS001, 002, 003 for servers
    COMPANYW001, 002, 003 for workstations.

    Some people prefer FLOWER, THUMPER, BAMBI.... KIRK, SPOCK, MCCOY ... but as
    I said, I'm incredibly boring. Whatever you do, don't name workstations
    after users. Users move, users quit, etc. You can always keep track of who
    uses what in the description field in the AD computer object.

    Don't use underscores or spaces...keep them simple, keep them short.

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Servers Windows