Invalid System Disk error when trying to reinstall Win98

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 20, 2005 5:45:06 PM

Good Day,

I am trying to perform a clean install of win98 on a Gateway laptop, I
have both a removable floppy and cd-rom drive. I am trying to boot from the
CD-Rom and insert the CD-Rom in the drive and reboot but am getting the above
error message.

any ideas? tips?

Thanks,

Brook

More about : invalid system disk error reinstall win98

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:56:50 PM

That error usually occurs when the computer tries to boot from a disk that
is not bootable. Do you have a floppy disk in the computer that is not
bootable? because depending on the boot order, the computer may try and
boot from the floppy regardless of whether there is any other bootable
device.

Also, make sure that your laptop support booting from the floppy drive and
that your CD is an original MS CD that was not just burned with all the
files.

You can check the ability of your laptop to boot from the CD by look at your
CMOS configuration. This is normally done by either pressing F1, DEL, or
some other key as instructed when you first power on the computer.

Also, I kinda remember something about the original 98 CD not being
bootable, only SE (Second Edition), but you may want to wait for
verification of that

--
Hope I've helped some
Adam Drayer

"Brook" <Brook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good Day,
>
> I am trying to perform a clean install of win98 on a Gateway laptop, I
> have both a removable floppy and cd-rom drive. I am trying to boot from
the
> CD-Rom and insert the CD-Rom in the drive and reboot but am getting the
above
> error message.
>
> any ideas? tips?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brook
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:36:44 PM

Brook wrote:
> Good Day,
>
> I am trying to perform a clean install of win98 on a Gateway laptop, I
> have both a removable floppy and cd-rom drive. I am trying to boot from the
> CD-Rom and insert the CD-Rom in the drive and reboot but am getting the above
> error message.
>
> any ideas? tips?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brook

Win98 CDs aren't bootable. You'll need to boot from the Win98 Startup
Diskette.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:02:54 AM

I'm 99.9% sure that the 98SE CD is bootable.

--
hope I've helped some!
Adam Drayer

!