TomTom Navigator 5 upgrade - not compatible with all PDAs

June 5, 2005 3:10:25 PM

TomTom have just announced the long anticipated upgrade to TomTom Navigator
5 for PDAs but there is a sting in the tail - not all devices are supported.
The FAQs give details at
http://www.tomtom.com/shop/upgrade.php?action=pda&TT=f3...
fc6678222

<<Quote:>>
The following devices are not compatible with NAVIGATOR 5:

* Fujitsu Siemens (all models)
* Toshiba (all models)
Siemens SX 56
Acer N10
Eten P700
Mitac Mio 558
PackardBell Pocket Gear 3025
ViewSonic V37
Yakumo DELTA 300 , DELTA 400
ASUS MyPal (these do not have SD capabilities)
* We are working on achieving compatibility with the Toshiba and Fujitsu
Siemens devices by Autumn 2005. For technical reasons, NAVIGATOR 5 will
unfortunately not be made compatible for the other devices on the list.
<<Endquote>>

I cannot understand the point, under ASUS MyPal, about SD capability since
the blurb provided on the net by TomTom says the upgrade is supplied on
CD-ROM.

--
Chris Watts
the discussion.

TomTom has been extremely confusing in regard to TomTom Navigator 5 PDA
compatibility. Not long ago, their web site listed three Navigator 5
packages: software only, software plus GPS connected receiver, and
software plus wired connected GPS. As of 6/2/2005, they also have
listed a software only Navigator 5 update. The latter has an "up to 5
weeks" delivery. The software only (not the upgrade) offer is no longer
prominently display on their website.
Of more concern is that TomTom originally listed a wide range of PDAs
that are Navigator 5 compatible. They recently changed this and
published a long list of PDAs that are not compatible, including the
original Toshiba PDAs that had been stated to be compatible. The reason
for this change is unknown. Various re-sellers still list Navigator 5
as being Windows Mobile 2003 compatible a statement that should should
be qualified with a large "but".
Finally, TomTom has what appears to be the worst activation scheme in
the industry. You are apparently allowed only one activation on one
single device. The software is also non-returnable. This means that if
it doesn't work on your PDA you are completely out of luck. The product
has zero value. You can't use it and you can't even give away the
original package because someone else can't activate it.
Robbie
June 5, 2005 9:52:19 PM

> I cannot understand the point, under ASUS MyPal, about SD capability
> since the blurb provided on the net by TomTom says the upgrade is
> supplied on CD-ROM.

As far as I'm concerned, I've ordered CDs, so I'll not be happy if it
arrives on stoopid SD Cards. Who wants 128MB cards nowadays?

Martin
June 5, 2005 11:56:25 PM

> Chris Watts
> the discussion.
> Private, or personal, messages should begin the Subject line with [NEWS]
> ensure that they pass my spam trap.

Installed version 5.0 yesterday on mu Asus Mypal 620BT and work perfect.
But, I did not like this new version. It seem to be designed for the tomtom
Go so you cant configure
the hardware keys. Looking up an address is very difficult because the font
is to big to read the whole line
in the normal 'portrait' mode of an pda. And last but not least, it could
not find my home address...

So I am back to version 3.07

StoVoKor
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:09:20 AM

Despite assurances from TomTom that the new version would cover Ireland, the
manufacturers have "made a U-turn" and it will not cover Ireland!
--

Brett
Anonymous

You are right in all your comments.

Send this story to TomTom and wait for an answer.
They are on the stock market some weeks!!
Let us know what they have answered.

Luck

Maarten

"Robbiex" <robbiex@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> TomTom has been extremely confusing in regard to TomTom Navigator 5 PDA
> compatibility. Not long ago, their web site listed three Navigator 5
> packages: software only, software plus GPS connected receiver, and
> software plus wired connected GPS. As of 6/2/2005, they also have
> listed a software only Navigator 5 update. The latter has an "up to 5
> weeks" delivery. The software only (not the upgrade) offer is no longer
> prominently display on their website.
> Of more concern is that TomTom originally listed a wide range of PDAs
> that are Navigator 5 compatible. They recently changed this and
> published a long list of PDAs that are not compatible, including the
> original Toshiba PDAs that had been stated to be compatible. The reason
> for this change is unknown. Various re-sellers still list Navigator 5
> as being Windows Mobile 2003 compatible a statement that should should
> be qualified with a large "but".
> Finally, TomTom has what appears to be the worst activation scheme in
> the industry. You are apparently allowed only one activation on one
> single device. The software is also non-returnable. This means that if
> it doesn't work on your PDA you are completely out of luck. The product
> has zero value. You can't use it and you can't even give away the
> original package because someone else can't activate it.
> Robbie

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:56:05 AM

"StoVoKar" <StoVoKor_VERWIJDER_@pandora.be> wrote in message
> --
> > Chris Watts
from
> > the discussion.
> > Private, or personal, messages should begin the Subject line with [NEWS]
> > ensure that they pass my spam trap.
> >

> Installed version 5.0 yesterday on mu Asus Mypal 620BT and work perfect.
> But, I did not like this new version. It seem to be designed for the
tomtom
> Go so you cant configure
> the hardware keys. Looking up an address is very difficult because the
font
> is to big to read the whole line
> in the normal 'portrait' mode of an pda. And last but not least, it could
> not find my home address...
>
> So I am back to version 3.07
>
> StoVoKor

Can you go back once you have upgraded? The TomTom site suggest that the
product code used to activate it will be deactivated once you upgrade.

Chris
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:56:03 PM

> Can you go back once you have upgraded? The TomTom site suggest that the
> product code used to activate it will be deactivated once you upgrade.
>
> Chris

I have made a backup (image) before I installed the new version. After
testing I just restored the imagefile and all is like it was...
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:22:34 PM

TomTom support replied 6/7/2005 to two questions about PDA
compatibility as follows:

The Toshiba e800 is listed under the Navigator 5 Bluetooth package as
being compatible.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/compatibility.php?ID=103...

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service

If you are using a SD or CF memory card to store the map data to, you
will not encounter a problem. You may encounter a problem using a CF
GPS with Navigator 5. We experienced problems with Navigator 2004
recognizing the com ports the CF GPS receivers used. We cannot confirm
if you will encounter the same problem with Navigator 5 however we will
forward your comments onto the Product Manager for review.

If you purchase Navigator 5 and wish to install the maps to a CF memory
card, you may do so.

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service
End Quote

There is also an interesting comment about Navigator 5 at:
http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/cms3/templates/PPC-NEWS.A...
This comment is in Italian. It is easily translated, if required,
using Google or another on-line translatior.

Robbie
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 5:46:13 AM

StoVoKar schreef:

> Installed version 5.0 yesterday on mu Asus Mypal 620BT and work perfect.

What? It's confusing me when on the list of not supperted pda's the
Asus MyPal is listed. I have a MyPal A716 and I do want to use TomTom 5
for the bike/walk support but I don't want to buy it if it's doesn't
work on the A716.

If the software works on your 620BT then should I assume it also works
on the A716?

john
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 5:29:16 PM

<awvvo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> StoVoKar schreef:
>
>> Installed version 5.0 yesterday on mu Asus Mypal 620BT and work perfect.
>
> What? It's confusing me when on the list of not supperted pda's the
> Asus MyPal is listed. I have a MyPal A716 and I do want to use TomTom 5
> for the bike/walk support but I don't want to buy it if it's doesn't
> work on the A716.
>
> If the software works on your 620BT then should I assume it also works
> on the A716?
>
> john

There are several MyPal models. Why not email them and ask which models they
are referring to?
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 5:29:17 PM

Alan Smith wrote:
> <awvvo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>StoVoKar schreef:
>>

>>>Installed version 5.0 yesterday on mu Asus Mypal 620BT and work perfect.
>>
>>What? It's confusing me when on the list of not supperted pda's the
>>Asus MyPal is listed. I have a MyPal A716 and I do want to use TomTom 5
>>for the bike/walk support but I don't want to buy it if it's doesn't
>>work on the A716.
>>
>>If the software works on your 620BT then should I assume it also works
>>on the A716?
>>
>>john
>>

> There are several MyPal models. Why not email them and ask which models they
> are referring to?

TomTom seems to be very confused about which PDAs are compatible with
Navigator 5. They originally published a comprehensive list of
compatible PDAs and then revised this to exclude many PDAs. Multiple
users are, however, already reporting that Navigator 5 works fine on
some of the PDAs that the revised list shows as being incompatible. I
don't think that you can rely on either TomTom or a reseller to reliably
answer the question. The best test is your own experience or that of
another user.
I would also take a look at the following section of the GPSPassion
forum. TomTom has eliminated a number of features in version 5 that were
present in version 3/4.
See: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3...

Robbie
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:13:46 AM

awvvo@hotmail.com wrote:
> StoVoKar schreef:
>
> > Installed version 5.0 yesterday on mu Asus Mypal 620BT and work perfect.
>
> What? It's confusing me when on the list of not supperted pda's the
> Asus MyPal is listed. I have a MyPal A716 and I do want to use TomTom 5
> for the bike/walk support but I don't want to buy it if it's doesn't
> work on the A716.
>
> If the software works on your 620BT then should I assume it also works
> on the A716?
>
> john

I confirm that TT5 runs fine on my Asus MyPal A716 SD card. No problems
at all.
Now I can use the bike/walk route mode.

john
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:14:25 AM

"> answer the question. The best test is your own experience or that of
> another user.
> I would also take a look at the following section of the GPSPassion
> forum. TomTom has eliminated a number of features in version 5 that were
> present in version 3/4.
> See: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3...
>
> Robbie

I think the problem is that Tomtom sell's the software on an SD card and
that all the pda's on the 'blacklist' are the one that does not support
SD...
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:17:52 AM

StoVoKar wrote:
> "> answer the question. The best test is your own experience or that of
>
>>another user.
>>I would also take a look at the following section of the GPSPassion
>>forum. TomTom has eliminated a number of features in version 5 that were
>>present in version 3/4.
>>See: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3...
>>
>>Robbie
>

> I think the problem is that Tomtom sell's the software on an SD card and
> that all the pda's on the 'blacklist' are the one that does not support
> SD...

TomTom Navigator 5 is available on both a SD card and on CD thus having
a SD slot on the PDA is not a necessity. Also, as has been discussed on
other forums, there are a number of PDAs on the incompatibility list
that have SD slots. TomTom's statement on incompatibility is pretty
definite. They state that they are working on making the PDAs from two
vendors compatible, but have no plans to do this for the remainder on
the list. Interestingly, one "incompatible" PDA, the Toshiba e800, has
already been reported by a user to work fine with Navigator 5.
Robbie
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:32:00 PM

> "> answer the question. The best test is your own experience or that of
> > another user.
> > I would also take a look at the following section of the GPSPassion
> > forum. TomTom has eliminated a number of features in version 5 that were
> > present in version 3/4.
> > See: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3...
> >
> > Robbie
>

> I think the problem is that Tomtom sell's the software on an SD card and
> that all the pda's on the 'blacklist' are the one that does not support
> SD...
Only partially true - the F-S Loox has an SD slot and it is on the list - it
also, by all reports, seems to work OK. The reason is much more likely to
be that TomTom have not tested out their software on those machines and so
is not willing to make a definite commitment to compatibly until/unless it
has done so for fear of the come-back.

Chris
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:42:18 AM

awvvo@hotmail.com wrote:
> *awvvo@hotmail.com wrote:
> > StoVoKar schreef:
> >

> > What? It's confusing me when on the list of not supperted pda's
> the
> > Asus MyPal is listed. I have a MyPal A716 and I do want to use
> TomTom 5
> > for the bike/walk support but I don't want to buy it if it's
> doesn't
> > work on the A716.
> >
> > If the software works on your 620BT then should I assume it also
> works
> > on the A716?
> >
> > john
>
> I confirm that TT5 runs fine on my Asus MyPal A716 SD card. No
> problems
> at all.
> Now I can use the bike/walk route mode.
>

> john *

Hi,
  I have a BT-338 version 2 GPS receiver from Globalsat and intend

it
to use it with my HP IPAQ 6315. I am not sure if TomTom navigator 5 is
compatible with my IPAQ.
Please share your experiences/suggestions.

Kd.

--
hari690810
June 28, 2005 9:25:06 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:42:18 -0500, hari690810
<hari690810.1rbkwz@mail.mcse.ms> wrote:

>awvvo@hotmail.com wrote:
>> *awvvo@hotmail.com wrote:
>> > StoVoKar schreef:
>> >

>> > What? It's confusing me when on the list of not supperted pda's
>> the
>> > Asus MyPal is listed. I have a MyPal A716 and I do want to use
>> TomTom 5
>> > for the bike/walk support but I don't want to buy it if it's
>> doesn't
>> > work on the A716.
>> >
>> > If the software works on your 620BT then should I assume it also
>> works
>> > on the A716?
>> >
>> > john
>>
>> I confirm that TT5 runs fine on my Asus MyPal A716 SD card. No
>> problems
>> at all.
>> Now I can use the bike/walk route mode.
>>

>> john *
>
>Hi,
>  I have a BT-338 version 2 GPS receiver from Globalsat and intend
>
>it
>to use it with my HP IPAQ 6315. I am not sure if TomTom navigator 5 is
>compatible with my IPAQ.

It's not on the TomTom list of compatible PDA's.

--
Bryan Bellis.
Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will

http://www.pcdr.co.uk/taxmaster

To email me, go to this web page link:
http://www.pcdr.co.uk/spam/antispam.html
!